Submitting to dmoz.org

OK, so I'm attempting to submit my personal site over at dmoz.org
    I've browsed through to the right location and clicked the "Suggest URL" button.

I've filled the page in and hit the "Submit" button at the bottm and that is as far as I can get.
    At the bottom of the screen it indicates that it is attempting to open:

http://www.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/add.cgi....

However after leaving my browser on this screen for half an hour I feel that is a good indication somethings not working.
    I've tried four times during tonight to submit my site and still the same problem.

Anybody else happened to try submitting to dmoz.org tonight? Seen a similar problem?

mmmm, this is a common problem in dmoz. Try tomorrow.

I submitted my site in the appropriate section. Submission was successfull but it is not listed as yet. What could be the reason for that?

dmoz.org is VERY slow to add sites. They went from a ton of reviewers in the past to now only a handful. They claim it now can take months and the response is pretty much "you'll just have to be patient." I am not sure why this has changed but it definitely has effected their place in the market.

Yep, I have a site that took almost an year to be reviewed.

Don't be surprised if you site never gets reviewed or listed at all.

Don't try to resubmit this might get the moderator mad. Only try a resubmission after about 6 months.

I submitted multiple sites, in various categories, over a year ago... None have been added. I have made inquiries on their forum only to get the, now typical, response of "in the queue with many others."

Perhaps the editors tending the forum should spend more time reviewing sites!

I have since pretty much given up on DMOZ, and feel it is a waste of time and energy... There are better ways to promote sites anyway...
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

If that is the case then what is the inexpensive way to get your site listed in Google, Yahoo etc. I submitted my site there but they don't list it too. Google did it once but then it removed. My stats are showing that google robot visit my site often. What could be the problem Other than asking to check the contents of the site, Title, Meta & Alt tags. They all are fine. :-((

Also, had one of my new sites listed in google and then disappear... I see from reading around that it should be re-added within time.

Hope so anyways.

I submitted one of my sites about a month ago, not listed, yet.
    I requested for a site of mine to be changed, done in a few days.

Originally posted by patterns
    I submitted my site there but they don't list it too. Google did it once but then it removed. My stats are showing that google robot visit my site often. What could be the problem Other than asking to check the contents of the site, Title, Meta & Alt tags. They all are fine. :-((
    Do you mean that you are not in Google index at all or are not high enough? Wehosting (as well as webdesign and many others)
    is very competetive keyword and you do not stay a chance to remain in the index without some real SEO. They listed your site at first, since they generaly give a shor (one month or soo) boost to fresh started sites.

Yes, I am not in the index at all. Don't know what is wrong. Any help is really appreciated.

Originally posted by iblive
    dmoz.org is VERY slow to add sites. They went from a ton of reviewers in the past to now only a handful. They claim it now can take months and the response is pretty much "you'll just have to be patient." I am not sure why this has changed but it definitely has effected their place in the market.
    Where did you hear that? I'm an editor at Dmoz, although not a senior one. I haven't noticed any changes there with regards to editors.

Depending on the cathegory, it may take anything from 1 week to almost a year to appear in the directory. As Dmoz is a human edited directory, this is understandable.

As for your the submiting problem, it occured to me a few times, maybe the system is busy at some given times...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by Rich2k
    Where did you hear that? I'm an editor at Dmoz, although not a senior one. I haven't noticed any changes there with regards to editors.
    It something that I have viewed over the the years. There used to be multiple editors per category all over the place. There now seems to be only 1 or 2 editors in some main categories. Granted the size of the dmoz has probably gotten tremendously bigger, but it just seems like are so much fewer reviewers. I also recall the days when it only took a few weeks to get in at the most. Previous sites I have been involved with are proof of that. There were no issues of taking such a long time like there seems to be now.

Just one more observation... My own website, which I was trying to get added to Full Service Web Designers, would (if it ever happens) be in a category where there are several hundred entries already. I suspect they are not adding more to that category. However, I did a random sampling of the sites listed in that category, and there were approximately 10% which were defunct.

Perhpas if "they" would clean house some, it would make room for new sites to be added!

-Bob

So what's involved to become an editor? How much expertise do "they" look for? And who makes up the "they" who makes these decisions?
    Serial Beggar
    Hate Your Family? Have No Friends? Make Me Your Beneficiary!

Yes, I am not in the index at all. Don't know what is wrong. Any help is really appreciated.
    Be patient you'll get indexed. Meanwhile try to get links for already indexed sites to make things faster.

My website has been waiting a review for about 5 months now and nobody has got their hands on it yet, even though I have been bugging them about the status of my submission on http://resource-zone.com

Originally posted by resurepus.co
    <snip> even though I have been bugging them about the status of my submission on http://resource-zone.com
    Hmmmm... It has been my impression that "bugging" them is really not a good thing... That doing so may actually irritate the all volunteer editing staff and your site may just get thown to the back of the queue for doing so. Or worse yet, your request can get deleted without any notification being sent to you...

It is not like it is a paid inclusion service, or that they are obligated to you in any way... So walk softly, would be my advice.

-Bob

Originally posted by rrdega
    I have since pretty much given up on DMOZ, and feel it is a waste of time and energy... There are better ways to promote sites anyway...
    Agreed.

Lack of editors and other excuses aside. About 4 months after submitting my site to DMOZ, someone took a likeing to my site and created one very similar to mine.

This persons site is now sitting in the same category which i submitted mine, it was included in about 2-3 months. Mine is still nowhere to be seen in the directory about a year later.

The other difference is, his site had basically nil content, a bad design and virtually no members or visitors upon submission.

I made an enquiry and received the "your site is in the list and we will get to it" response.

*cough*You think someone knows an editor*cough*

Oh well, there's plenty of other great directories in the sea.
    Great Host = WiredTree.com Managed VPS Hosting

At least you were able to submit yours.
    As per my original post in this thread, I still "hang" at the submit point.
    I think I'll give up on this one.

I have faced the similar problem too. but I tried continuosly for 3 days like after 2, 3 hours and it was done

Originally posted by 1boss1

*cough*You think someone knows an editor*cough*
    Tell a more senior editor and it will be investigated.

Promotion of your own or affiliated sites at the expense of others is strictly against the rules. 'Cooling' your own sites is also against the rules.

However be under no illusion, not every site submitted to the ODP gets listed... this is on purpose. The ODP is not a search engine, it is a directory resource of useful websites. If you submit a site that offers nothing unique to that category then it may not be listed.

If there are no editors for your 'deep' category, navigate up the directory structure until you find one and send a note to them (as people higher up the structure have permission to edit the categories lower down). However don't spam them because you haven't been listed after 1-2 days... give them a chance!

I have visited your site - you have GPR0. there is absolutely no way to get into the index with GPR0. I inspected the sites at the last two index pages. the lowest GPR I was able to find is GPR3.

To get to the index, star getting relevant links with optimised anchor text. Do not make all of them the same, some should be simply webhosting, others affordable webhosting, top webhosting .... . Also make sure that the IBLs (inbound links)come from several different IP clusters. You will need GPR4 or 5 and hundreds of such links before you hit the index.
    Double check the in-page SEO as well.
    You know I need the same for my webdesign site, have a GPR5, some 300 IBLs, but would not bother to check the index at all untill the webdesign page gets close to 1000 IBLs and GPR at least 6. You are in even worse situation - there is 32 millions indexed pages for webhosting but "only" 9 millions for webdesign.

Ok, I will review my site and try to get IBL. But I am not sure what is GPR0 etc. I tried to search google and it is pointing to some General Purpose Registers. . Even if you can point us to some one who can do the SEO work for us then we are ready to go with them.

GPR = Google Page Rank... And IMHO the poster is a little off base, since you were asking about DMOZ; not Google... I do not believe Google Page Rank has anything to do with inclusion to DMOZ.

Not to mention the ongoing debate as to how much Google still relies on page rank itself!

-Bob