* Science/Film News :: "The Day After Tomorrow" contains "flawed science"premise r

Article extract >>

The blockbuster climate disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow contains badly flawed science and ignores the laws of physics, leading UK scientists believe.
    But many of them have welcomed the film as a dramatic and popular way to raise people's awareness of climate change.

Sir David King, the government's chief scientific adviser, said he hoped many ordinary Americans would see the film.

And the former US Vice-President Al Gore said the risks the film portrayed were a threat to our common future.

Beyond the science

Speaking in London, Sir David described The Day After Tomorrow as "a spectacular action film" which portrayed the switching off of the Gulf Stream and the Northern Hemisphere's subsequent plunge into a new Ice Age.

The scientific consensus was that climate change might lead to a weakening of the thermohaline circulation (THC), the phenomenon that drives the Gulf Stream; but it was not expected to cause its complete halting, as in the film.

It's a movie, and we shouldn't get too po-faced about it

Dr Geoff Jenkins, Hadley Centre
    Sir David said the present global atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration of 379 parts per million, the highest for at least 420,000 years, was "very significantly higher" than during previous warm periods.

But that did not mean the THC, which keeps north-western Europe about 5C warmer than it would be otherwise, would switch off at all, and certainly not as quickly as The Day After Tomorrow suggested.

The film "unrealistically concertinas into a few weeks a scenario which, if it did occur, would take decades or a century".

Sir David said: "The film brings events together into a highly unlikely or even impossible scenario. It's very difficult to explain the physics of it.

"But what's good is that while my colleagues and I have just spent half an hour presenting you with the scientific understanding of climate change, the movie gets the basic message across in a few sentences of dialogue. It's a beautiful piece of script-writing.

Ignoring the facts

"I hope US audiences will see it. It's very important that we all take cognisance of what science is saying, and that includes American politicians."

End extract <<

For more info :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3707873.stm

Well if this is a big problem it is a shame as i feel they had a responsibility to the public and the truth with this kind of film. I'm still interested in it though.

Hopefully as the scientists in the article have stated, the viewing audience will gain increased awareness and use this as a springboard to maybe dig deeper and read up on this issue.

I'll still try and watch it it i think...i wonder how it will do, hmm

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I dont understand why they waste their time with it.
    Its a movie.. entertainment... no-one said it is true..
    If they made movies like things happen in real-life, imagine how boring the scenes were one guy outshoots a hundred would be..

Well uhh... it looks like it will be a good movie, by the preview...
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

While I think they tried to base it on something that could happen, I think you always have to exaggerate things in films because in real life things are always slow to have much affect and overall fairly boring!

For example it would be pretty impossible to have the film show the change over a 100 year period, your main characters would have to change a fair few times!

I still think it looks like a really good film, and as ilyash says it is just entertainment after all! If it was a documentary it would be a different story.
    Steve

It's a movie...

Movies aren't supposed to make sense at least not until they make virtual movies with phsical interaction and multiple story lines but don't expect that for several years.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I agree with what you lot are saying [things DO need to be exagerated for the big screen without a doubt] and that it is just a movie and entertainment but this one does have a certain added political angle to it; from what i've heard there are some quite close similarities between characters in the film and real life, Bush for one if memory serves. You could also tell the survivors of the actual mission the film U-1571 was based on that it is just a movie. Now that had some contoroversy around it at the time with some people.

I think the critics in the scientific world have a problem with the order and way things happen and not necessarily the rate that they occur.

I oould be pmaking a mountain out of a mole hill here; regardless, the article seemed a good one and i'll still try and see it.

Back to the film, does anyone know if it concentrates on Britain at any point in the film or is it all at US loctions?? I do like it when big blockbusters feature Britain , well as long as they don't do that thing with the British accent that Hollywood sometimes does thouch.

Critic,

From the preview it looks like its pretty much NY and US

http://www.ebts.dk/movies2004/tomorrow/tomorrow.htm

It starts off hitting Europe from what I've heard, and they do talk about London getting flooded in there.

But the majority of the film is set in New York I believe.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    http://www.ebts.dk/movies2004/tomorrow/tomorrow.htm

It starts off hitting Europe from what I've heard, and they do talk about London getting flooded in there.

But the majority of the film is set in New York I believe.
    Oh, well its something, thanks for the info.

So much for the Thames Barrier then eh

No i understand we're talking about something devastating and real here but if London gets flooded in the film, i wonder if it will just be the sterotypical centre of London and the tip of Big Ben sticking out of the water [That is what i reckon] or total. I live in one of the outer boroughs you see, firstly will they mention it and if there is any truth in it at that point it will be interesting to know how extensive it is.

Hmm, time to google my way to an answer i thin hmm,

Critic,

sterotypical centre of London
    I expect it will be the top of Big Ben, then a red bus floats past followed by a black taxi. Then some guy in a posh accent saying "oh bloody hell"!
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    I expect it will be the top of Big Ben, then a red bus floats past followed by a black taxi. Then some guy in a posh accent saying "oh bloody hell"!
    LOL Yep sounds about right.

Other possible's could be the Royal Family and a Beefeater in a boat on the water and a Cockney walking up and talking to your psh bloke.

Critic,