WorldCom Pricing- low Commit

We are renegotiating our colo rates with Worldcom and i wanted to get a read on if we are getting a good deal or not.

What is the going rate (ball park is okay) for a burstable 10Meg colocation with a 95% rate under 1.5M, under 2M and under 3M.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Skyhook.

couple hundred bucks its my guess per rack
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

your guess is way off.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

On a low commit contract, would $650/Mbit be expensive? What would a the 'going rate' be, for a 2Mbit connection, burstable to 10?

Depends on where you are. If you're in a Tier2 city and Worldcom is the only provider, then it maybe decent.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Thanks for the reply Mfjp. We're in a Tier 1 city, with all the major providers offering colo/dedicated service etc.

I'm assuming there is some premium for Worldcom, but want to know if we're getting ripped off.

Thx,

Should be around $200-250 per Mbps.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Hello,

When a user who needs a small connection between 1-20Mbps, and wants to go with the provider directly, not through a reseller, which network providers usually has the lowest pricing on smaller commintments?

What should one expect to may for 10Mbps from the following providers:
    Sprint
    XO
    ALGX
    Abovenet
    Wintel/Yipes

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

Kyle,

I think it would be best if you started your own thread on this issue rather than just including it in someone else's.

I can do this if you want, but I though since they were similar it would be alright. Let me start a new one.

Thank you,
    Kyle Leissner

Why not go asked the carrier directly? What we "expect" have nothing to do with the truth..
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Jay,

In may cases I have, but I am just trying to determine if I am getting a good price from my sales reps, or do I need to look for anyother one Your pricing on XO bandwidth is hard to beat, and I am just wondering what other providers are offering.

Thank you,
    Kyle

Kyle,

I don't want to say this, but I think you're just plain lazy

Cheers,
    Jay

Jay,

Aren't we all

Thank you,
    Kyle

jay,

kyle probably doesnt want to have to tell another bajillion reps to stop calling because he was only window shopping =]

paul

skyhook,

the pricing is bad. worldcom is a decent network, but they would have to include a lease on an S430 with that to get me to sign.

paul

Worldcom is not decent, Worldcom is super strong, there's no doubt about it.

What should one expect to may for 10Mbps from the following providers:
    Sprint - $200
    XO - $150
    ALGX - $100
    Wiltel - $100
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Worldcom is not decent, Worldcom is super strong, there's no doubt about it.
    internet health report says they are not as great as you think. i concur. they have their strengths, but definitely not the end all be all of transit.

paul

I've seen MCI go as low as $150 per megabit in Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities on 10 megabit commitments.

How does internet health report check latency, ICMP?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com

UUnet hasn't been the "end all be all" of transit since WCOM got their hands on the company.

Two days ago MCI announced that they are eliminating an additional 7,500 jobs. Although they didn't say where these cuts would be made, I'm fairly certain that they won't start at the top.

There was a noticeable decline in the QoS the last time they started dumping people out onto the street.

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    How does internet health report check latency, ICMP?
    no. they have 'agents' sitting on single-homed connections to the providers listed, connecting to each other over tcp and measuring the time it takes to establish a tcp connection. think of it as tcp ping. naturally, the total time it takes for the handshake is divided by the number of packets exchanged.

paul

Originally posted by Dragoon
    UUnet hasn't been the "end all be all" of transit since WCOM got their hands on the company.
    amen.

Two days ago MCI announced that they are eliminating an additional 7,500 jobs. Although they didn't say where these cuts would be made, I'm fairly certain that they won't start at the top.
    lets hope their clueless sales droids make up the majority of that number. with that said, the opposite is likely to happen.

There was a noticeable decline in the QoS the last time they started dumping people out onto the street.
    what?! i need *engineers* to run a network? and they have to be *good*? that's expensive!

paul

Originally posted by rusko
    jay,

kyle probably doesnt want to have to tell another bajillion reps to stop calling because he was only window shopping =]

paul
    I second that... plus there are a lot of lurkers here wondering the same thing.