reseller new-b looking for advice

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm new to hosting... well, reselling. I understand the basics (disk space, bandwidth etc.) but that's about it. I've had a reseller account with hostgator.com for about two months now and I really have no complaints. Their tech support has been fast and so on. I'm just wondering if anybody has any opinions about hostgator.com? I've only noticed my sites being down a couple times and for a short time at that. Why I'm even questioning them is because every once and a while it seems to take a long to to access my pages... I don't know if this is bandwidth or what but sometimes there is a good 10sec before the page is accessed and loaded. I have a very fast cable connection and I notice when it is happening that it is only my sites. So I guess my second question would be... what is that and why does it do it? Any advice on reselling and so on would be great. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to learning.

I would say your experience is your teacher....and everybody experience does vary....Glad to know that you been happy with them....
    Here is a thread about hostgator
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=hostgator
    and if you are tyring to compare then with other hosts just keep reading and search when you see something good... use the search tool on this forum its really wonderful.....

And about the 10sec lag is it only from your computer or have you check it out from other different workstations.... have you contacted there support about this issue.....

Good Luck and keeps us updated about your experience...

My only complaint about Hostgator would be with some of their first-level techs. One too many times they guessed at a solution or just answered me without really making an effort to check if their answer was complete or correct. They weren't correct nor did they make an effort to appear like they spent any time on the issue.

Anyway, when I finally challenged them and raised the issue to second level support, it was another story. They corrected the mistakes of first level and appologised for their actions, but by then I was already soured on the deal!

Just my 2c. If you are with them and aren't having any major problems, it probably isn't worth moving. I would do as the above poster suggested and make this forum your friend for a while!

Also, if you suspect downtime but cannot confirm ... try a service like SITEuptime (http://www.siteuptime.com) to monitor a domain and report on its up and downtimes.

Good luck.

Yike (with autica.com/midphase.com and happy)

Thanks for the help... I'll read up and stick around for a while so I can learn more. I'm glad to hear that hostgator is generally pretty good... lucky shot I guess considering I really put no research into it at all.

Hey Yike. You're referring to the pre sales email you sent in and had a wrong answer on one question right? If there's another incident I'm not aware of please pm the ticket number so I can look it up. We've been bringing in a lot of new staff, and if any of them are just guessing we need to know. Thanks!