hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : How do subdomains work?

Forum Jump

How do subdomains work?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Question

How do subdomains work?

Sorry for all the newbie questions… I hope this is the correct forum for posting this question.

I am unsure how it works if I create a subdomain using a control panel;
  • How to I reference a subdomain in another pages on the main domain? Do I use the full URL? http://subdomain.domain.com? from a page on http://www.domain.com?
  • How to I create pages for a subdomain? Are the files for a subdomain kept in a separate folder?
I don’t as of yet have a hosting provider but I am trying to grasp how things work before I go about signing up with one.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
How to I reference a subdomain in another pages on the main domain? Do I use the full URL?
Yes, you should use the absolute URI.

Quote:
How to I create pages for a subdomain? Are the files for a subdomain kept in a separate folder?
Well, chances are the control panel will hide these details from you.
However, generally you would upload files normally, just that it would probably be to a different directory on the filesystem.

Incidentally, try to use example.com instead of domain.com, since example.com was intended for, um, examples.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thumbs up Thank you!

THANKS for your reply!
Quote:
Originally posted by laserlight
Incidentally, try to use example.com instead of domain.com, since example.com was intended for, um, examples.
SORRY!! Didn't know that!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 PM
WHT Addict

Wow, I gotta respect taking the time to learn beforehand, but some things are a whole lot easier if you just dive in to'em.

Think of a subdomain just like a main domain. A subdomain isn't really a 'part' of a main domain, it's a separate entity too.

Good Luck,
Joe

Old 05-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

Here is my two cents....

I created a subdomain in my domain just to check it out.... Atleast in CPanel if you create a subdomain.... the folder to subdomains is just additional folder with the subdomain name located in www folder along with your index file for your main unless you have to tried a implement a different folder structure this should be the standard....if you want to add files just navigate to this folder and upload your files too it....

Good Luck and hope that hopes....

Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

JetServers & Glanhosts,

Thank you to you BOTH for your replies.

I am trying to build to website on my home computer so that when I do get a hosting provider, I will at least have the basic pages I want ready for upload.

Didn't want to start out with just one page that said - "COMING SOON."

Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 PM
WHT Addict

Excellent! One less 'Coming Soon' page on the interent is more than a worthy goal!

Joe

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Rackspace Among Cloud Companies on Fortune's "Best Companies to Work For" List Web Hosting News 2014-01-17 11:44:01
Three Tips to Reduce Meetings, Work Hours, and Be as Productive as Ever Blog 2013-11-01 15:18:39
University Freshmen Offered Free Domain and Hosting to Build Online Identity Web Hosting News 2013-08-02 12:30:39
Pace Work Technologies Launches Upgraded Web Hosting Services Web Hosting News 2013-07-03 15:41:09
Microsoft Reaches Settlement with Nitol Botnet Host 3322.org Web Hosting News 2012-10-05 13:13:16