What Makes 24/7 Support?

I would like to know what other people think makes 24/7 support.
    I personally thought It meant that someone was there 24/7 to answer your questions... However a different host who I was talking to on AIM thinks otherwise.. He says that it can be called 24/7 support as long as all questions are answered within 24 hours.

I am now asking you what you think 24/7 support is.

There's 24/7 Email/Ticket support. You can email in your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

There's 24/7 Live Support. Live Support Chat

And there's 24/7 Phone Support. Live support via phone.

Ask your host exactly which one they offer.

Well I am a host myself trying to decide if I should say I offer 24/7 support or not. I mean I am on at least 1 hour every day, so do you think it would be fair to say I offer 24/7 suppport?

Which 24/7 Support do you offer? If you say just "I offer 24/7 Support" I'd expect a live response all day any day.

None I don't offer 24/7 support but if I did it'd be ticket monkeys working as close to 24/7 a spossible.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Well, he's right, and he's not right. 24/7 support really means someone is there every second of the day to answer your questions. In fact, with 24/7 support, your inquiry would be answered right after you send it. But in reality, a lot of hosts make an email address (wich of course is on 24/7) and call it 24/7 support.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

Honestly in my view 24/7 support to me is if its email that someone would be there anytime of the day to respond to my email inqueries within a reasonable ammount of time.

24/7 live chat would mean that someone is on the live chat every minute of the day

and of course 24/7 phone support is that there is a phone number that gets answered every minute of the day.

Thanks
    - James

24/7 to me would mean that you get your first reply of your request within at most 30minutes but to solve a problem will depend on the problem itself. However, we normally ensure that there will be updates sent to the client if it is a major problem.

At least, they know we are doing our job and take time to make sure it works perfectly again..

Sales questions/ complaints normally deal with during office hours though.

Thanks everyone.. I know now that I was right and my friend was wrong (He is the one that said if you answer within 24 hours its 24/7). Thanks again.

24/7 to us means there will be a response within 4 hours for all tickets. We try to stick to within 1 hour, but sometimes the night staff gets tied up on long tickets. It is different to all, but I don't agree that within 24 hours is 24hour support.

24/7 means someone is available 24/7 ... not that you can e-mail someone, and they'll get back to you 12+ hours later.

A lot of hosting companies learn this the hard way ... and lose customers accordingly.

Personally, i think the best way to tell if a company provides 24hr support, is to see if they have a phone number. If so, phone them at 3 or 4am. If they dont pick up, its obviously not 24hr support.

Tickets and email, however, are different. If i submit a ticket to a web host, i would expect a response within 3 hours at the very maximum. I know that you can get a sudden rush of tickets, which can account for a slight delay, but anything longer than 3 hours, and you can safely assume one of two things:

1. They're asleep
    2. They dont have enough staff to cope

I think that if a web host advertises 24/7 support, it should mean there is someone there, 24 hours a day to assist you with whatever problems you may have. Its just a shame that some web hosts use this claim falsely, and really, is false advertising. Unless you can employ the staff needed to provide this (or stock up on a serious amount of coffee and caffeine tablets) then its just not worth your reputation to advertise something you know you cant provide.

Kind Regards,

Lee
    ••••Fanatical Hosting UK••••
    24hr Sales, Call Free On: 0808 17 80 400
    24hr Support, Call: 08717 11 33 55
    Web: http://www.fanaticalhosting.co.uk

Most of the hosts also "say" they provide 24-7 chat support but when you click on the box and it pops up and they ask you for your email id just to tell you their operator/admin is busy and n/a.

i agree with everyone here that 24-7 support doesnt mean sometime within the 23.99 hours usually its 2-4 hours max time for getting a reply with a 24-7 host.

24-7 live support is where a person is always at standby to hear you out and ofc help you out. If you cant provide it then dont mention it, like Fanatical said "false advertising" and it just is damaging for the company's reputation. thanks

Originally posted by Akash
    Which 24/7 Support do you offer? If you say just "I offer 24/7 Support" I'd expect a live response all day any day.
    I agree, not within 24 hours as your host claims

24/7 support simply implies that someone is available to answer support requests in all the mediums of support offered 24 hours 7 days a week.

However, I don't believe that a host has to put a specific timeframe on how long they will take to reply to a support request, as it really is up to the discretion of the individual host to decide that based on their own resources

To me 24/7 support means there's someone there to read my email/ticket etc within minutes from sending it. The reply could come a bit late, as it might take time to investigate. Phone calls should be answered by a human being at all time (if 24/7 support by phone is offered).

I'm suprised no one has broken this down yet... 24/7 means 24 hours a day and 7 days a week (Which people often forget). Having said that, I'm going to give the same answer as everyone else here anyway, in that 24/7 means you should have somone there all the time. I, however, wouldn't expect an immediate response (mail, tickets) as that does seem a little too much to ask).

If you're answering support requests within 24 hours then I would suugest you word it as "24 hour support". You could also put something in your TOS about response times.

To everyone who's said they answer their phones at 3am - I'll be checking