hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Protecting myself from Fraud

Forum Jump

Protecting myself from Fraud

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Protecting myself from Fraud

Hello,

This is my first post on here so please be nice ;-)
Basically, I have been doing some research on entering the reseller market as I plan to start my own web hosting company. I have found a good reseller company that uses Cpanel on their servers - I am planning to use modernbill, whmautopiolet or phpcoin to automate payments along with PayPal (once I receive more income I will upgrade to WorldPay).

The question I want to ask you is this - if I use an automated billing program and PayPal, will I be leaving myself open to fraud? Will people sign up with fake CC numbers in order to send spam and what not?

What measures do you more established web hosts use to prevent fraudulent orders and what would be the best way to protect myself?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Leweq22 (Lewis)

Sponsored Links
Old
Predatory Poster

People are going to try to fraud you no matter what you do just screen the orders and you should be fine.

Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Old
Disabled

well,
first of all, if you have their ip, use this to track their location:
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

compare the city & country provided by them to the one the above site displays for thier ip, if its different, their obviously trying to put in a fake address...

you could also further crack it down by using the phone number they provided:
http://decoder.americom.com/decoderscript

i would call all customers & verify the details before creating their account

hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
Old

I was just looking at the Clientexec product info page and I saw this feature:

Quote:
New clients must be approved or rejected (fraud prevention).
Does anyone use this feature and can it prevent fraud? Oh and thank you for that post Jubinrr, your method seems to be secure but don't you find it time consuming to do that for each and every customer?

Leweq22

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
you could also further crack it down by using the phone number they provided:http://decoder.americom.com/decoderscript
I don't think this will work because I have tried using a fake number. It will still show up. I doubt I am at all that lucky to strike a 11 number.
hehe

Old
Web Hosting Master

it is time consuming Lewis, but in the end you wouldnt want to chargeback the customers whose credit cards have been stolen, right?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
More than Half of Internet Users Fear Financial Fraud when Shopping Online: Kaspersky Report Web Hosting News 2014-08-28 10:55:13
Irish Ecommerce Security Startup Trustev Raises $3 Million Web Hosting News 2013-10-30 13:18:18
Signifyd Launches to Protect Ecommerce Merchants from Fraud Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 16:37:48
IBM Acquires Cloud Security Firm Trusteer, Opens Cybersecurity Lab in Israel Web Hosting News 2013-08-15 15:00:37
Fake Web Hosting Invoices Issued in BC, Canada Fraud Case Web Hosting News 2012-11-15 10:00:39