Thread: Bird Problem

Bird Problem

Ok here's the problem, Right outside my front door I have a covered entrance, (Roof no sides) A robin decided to put her nest up there when I wasn't paying attention, Layed her eggs, and now they just hatched. Well everytime I go outside to take the dog out or when people come over, they get Dive bombed by her. She landed in my hair once (Scaring the living sh*t out of me) Thank god I wasn't looking up probably would have lost an eye..

I don't want to kill the babies, and I heard that if you touch the nest, she will never come back.. Any other solutions? I would prefer not to send guests around back and not go myself that way, as when it rains it can get quite muddy. As well as their are no lights around the house and nightly trips outside could turn quite messy (Especially taking the dog out)

Any suggestions or ideas besides waiting it out?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Wear the hat and have your guests to do the same. It is small price to pay to keep those creatures alive.

Re: Bird Problem

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Ok here's the problem, Right outside my front door I have a covered entrance, (Roof no sides) A robin decided to put her nest up there when I wasn't paying attention, Layed her eggs, and now they just hatched. Well everytime I go outside to take the dog out or when people come over, they get Dive bombed by her. She landed in my hair once (Scaring the living sh*t out of me) Thank god I wasn't looking up probably would have lost an eye..

I don't want to kill the babies, and I heard that if you touch the nest, she will never come back.. Any other solutions? I would prefer not to send guests around back and not go myself that way, as when it rains it can get quite muddy. As well as their are no lights around the house and nightly trips outside could turn quite messy (Especially taking the dog out)

Any suggestions or ideas besides waiting it out?
    hmm, *ponders for a second*

Light hearted comment

Get a cat

Not quite so light hearted

I've got a whole street of bird houses in my garden [well 4 actually, one is 2 storey's] but the family some transatlantic tickets to London and i think we've still got some room at the inn.

Serious

Let's see it is May now, i did a quick bit of research, the average life expectancy of a Robin is 1.1 years. I'm going to continue reading up to see if i can find something on their lifestyle pattern after they've hatched. Will post when i find something.

Hopefully, they might be on there way soon but i don't know for sure, Ornithology isn't really my strong suit.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Re: Re: Bird Problem

Originally posted by Critic
    hmm, *ponders for a second*

Light hearted comment

Get a cat
    Got the dog, he almost had her once..

Not quite so light hearted

I've got a whole street of bird houses in my garden [well 4 actually, one is 2 storey's] but the family some transatlantic tickets to London and i think we've still got some room at the inn.
    [/B]
    Whats your addy? I will box them up first thing in the morning and FedEx them your way..

Serious

Let's see it is May now, i did a quick bit of research, the average life expectancy of a Robin is 1.1 years. I'm going to continue reading up to see if i can find something on their lifestyle pattern after they've hatched. Will post when i find something.

Hopefully, they might be on there way soon but i don't know for sure, Ornithology isn't really my strong suit.
    [/B]
    Thanks Let me know what you dig up, The babies just hatched about 2-3 days ago, so if you could find out how long they nest before they fly off would be great..

I didn't dig anything up on it yet.. Must be using the wrong search terms..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I haven't found anything as specific as i'd hoped but this is what i've got off of a wildlife encyclopedia type programme.

>>>

The femaile will incubate 3-6 eggs for 12-13 days. The nestlings fly at 14-16 days and follow their parents around for a while. There are usually two clutches per year.

<<<

Well when you read that it actually looks like things could get worse but then again...

Well if they hatched about 2-3 days ago then they could be flying in 12-13 days. Now as i said ornithology isn't really my thing but at the miute the Mother is protecting the young who cannot fly yet. If they're mobile and active will she change her behaviour and stop trying to do her impression of a dive bomber? I am not sure. Worse case scenario you could have a whole Air Force of Robins on your case.

The only thing i can suggest is that maybe once they can fly and when they're off hunting or learning the ropes from Mum and Dad that you move the nest to another visible location that you think is suitable for them but not such a pain for you and your guests. Hopefully they'll find there way to it, maybe under a bit of guttering or roofing to the side or something, i dunno. ;(

I've not been much help really [sorry about that] but i did learn something about the American Robin.

What we need is a WHT member is a bird watcher or Ornithologist.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Leave them be, once flying properly they wont be back.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Originally posted by Philipf
    Leave them be, once flying properly they wont be back.

i agree with Philip. i dont know anything about birds, but we once had a nest of them on our front porch. The parents built their home in one of my hanging baskets (it was a bushy flowering plant). The parents quickly realized their mistake however... once the eggs hatched and the baby birds flew the coup, they never came back. i'm sure your bird family will do the same... i dont think they like high traffic areas very much.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Maybe place some boards to shield the nest from the entrance or the path you walk. Probably they think you are a threat when they see you so some kind of visual blocking may work.

Or you could try spending more time with them. LOL. Actually it works with animals....once you become familiar they will fear you less.

I'm surprised no one on a "Web Hosting Forum", supposed to be a high tech community didn't suggest this yet . My friend you need the BirdXpeller PRO

How it Works
    BirdXPeller PRO features birds' distress cries on a microchip (supplied by a major American university). The birds perceive danger when they hear these sounds. They become agitated and disoriented: they think their flock mates are in trouble so they flee the area... never to return.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by jpabboud
    I'm surprised no one on a "Web Hosting Forum", supposed to be a high tech community didn't suggest this yet . My friend you need the BirdXpeller PRO

How it Works
    BirdXPeller PRO features birds' distress cries on a microchip (supplied by a major American university). The birds perceive danger when they hear these sounds. They become agitated and disoriented: they think their flock mates are in trouble so they flee the area... never to return.
    If so will the mother bird desert her offsprings too?
    ML
    ... from the beginning.

Or they'll try flying before ready and end up breaking the pavement.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!