ddos, bandwidth and $$

Hi folks,

If, unfortunately, your sever is knocked by ddos, and the traffic reaches your monthly bandwidth limitation, what will happen next? disconnected or charge for more traffic?

It will depend on a few factors:
    Type of DDOS attack
    How the host caculates your bandwidth usage

For the most part, I doubt they will disconnect your server, for the most part, it doesn't consume much bandwidth.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

You are saying that a DDOS attack does not consume a lot of bandwidth ?

Depends on Host some may IGNORE that traffic for usage
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

does this mean managed.com will charge for that anyway?

D. Each customer is required to utilize available network bandwidth so as to allow for reasonable network performance by all Managed.com users. Because bandwidth is a shared resource, excessive consumption of network bandwidth can interfere with or completely prevent normal network performance for other servers. Persistent, high-volume use of bandwidth-intensive tools and applications can and does prevent other users from being able to access the network.

Managed.com provides temporary burst (not sustained speed) up to 100Mbps for each server as a courtesy only. Servers that use more 10Mbps for 20 minutes or longer and/or consistently causing performance problems will be disconnected from the network to prevent such activities from obstructing network access for other users. Furthermore, customer will be responsible for all fees related to excessive bandwidth usage.

10. The data transfer of 1,200GB per server at the monthly fee listed on our site is applicable to the first 30 days of service. The bandwidth package for all subsequent months will be 1,000GB per server. In the event of over-usage, customers will incurred a fee of $0.50 / 1GB for the aforementioned server.

Originally posted by illogix
    I've experienced a 60Mbps DDOS on my box for around 20 minutes - It only used up around 9GB of bandwidth.

-Josh

Originally posted by illogix
    Like server4sale said, it all depends on the type of DDOS attack, and the host. You reall won't here people complaining about how they used up bandwidth from a DDOS attack.

1 TB traffic is very very large. I wish managed.com support is good as well. Seems I am to be managed.com's customer soon. Wish me good luck

Originally posted by bigheadfish
    1 TB traffic is very very large. I wish managed.com support is good as well. Seems I am to be managed.com's customer soon. Wish me good luck
    I'll wish you good luck, since you'll need it.

No their support is pretty bad but going through a reseller can help fix that.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by Joshua
    I've experienced a 60Mbps DDOS on my box for around 20 minutes - It only used up around 9GB of bandwidth.

-Josh
    You were lucky then, a box i manage @ sm got hit with 200mbit for around 9 hours.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    You were lucky then, a box i manage @ sm got hit with 200mbit for around 9 hours.
    Why didn't they null-route the IP, then? When my box was being hit, Nocster unplugged the connection from my server for a few minutes, null-routed the IPs, and plugged my box back in.

-Josh

SM said that they wouldnt do anything unless we paid to have their security team intervine
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

There are very few companies that will disregard incoming bandwidth now that FOONET is out of the picture.