How much to charge

Alright so I'm doing a webpage for a an affiliate of a bank, they are a realestate agency and they are going to need the standard stuff (contact page, admin control panel for replying to contacts, news (I think), faq, etc) they are also going to require a page where they can add houses and a blurb about the house. The entire thing is to be done in HTML and Photoshop for the front end, and PHP and SQL for the back end. I was thinking of charging them around $750 or so for the project. What would you guys say is a solid price to charge them for something like this?
    In the works with a new startup

Re: How much to charge

Originally posted by DevonL
    Alright so I'm doing a webpage for a an affiliate of a bank, they are a realestate agency and they are going to need the standard stuff (contact page, admin control panel for replying to contacts, news (I think), faq, etc) they are also going to require a page where they can add houses and a blurb about the house. The entire thing is to be done in HTML and Photoshop for the front end, and PHP and SQL for the back end. I was thinking of charging them around $750 or so for the project. What would you guys say is a solid price to charge them for something like this?
    Speaking as the offspring of another real estate agency owner/broker I would say that price is reasonable. They can easily afford that and more quite frankly. Of course that is assuming that they are a successful office.

Zerano: Yeah that's what my thoughts were. I figure I don't wanna push them and go with too high of a price and have them want to go somewhere else that is willing to do it cheaper, or go with some punk kid willing to do a job for like $50. But anyways thanks for the clarification, just wanted to get a second opinion!

The price sounds reasonable to me. Just make sure you define the requirements, create a statement of the work you will do, and then have them sign it. If they come back with 20 additional additions that is not in the statement of work they signed then you can charge them more.
    Alvin

Yeah I wouldn't give them a design like the one I made for the office I work for on the side for that price:

http://www.century21kc.com

However since you're going to be coding MLS stuff into the site it will be well worth the price their paying.

Right now for example since I'm not a coder myself I used a third-party service from HarbeckHome which costs them around $50 / month.

Anyways, glad to be of help.

Zerano: Actually the site you made there is basicly what I'm going to be doing for them, just I wont be using any third party software.

hmmmmmmmmm

Having a very good outline of the project and having them sign off on it is VERY important. You should be able to know approximately how many hours the job should take. Break it down into parts. Have those hours clearly defined. If the client goes over, makes changes, etc. just make them aware of your timeline and there changes to it. I have hired many designers over the years. The biggest problems were over expectations. when something is very defined, both sides have clear expectations. The price should be based on how long its going to take you and the scope of the project. Your price seems fair (if not a little low) but people seem to be much cheaper these days and expecting much more.

why wouldnt you use any 3rd party stuff?

open-realty is a great tool to use

that is why some punk kid can do it for 50 bucks

your price doesnt seem bad at all (less than id charge) but now days people want to pay the least amount possible.

i hate giving quotes and spelling out exactly what ill do for them and telling them what they NEED, only for them to take my advice elsewhere, cheaper!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

my previous mentour charged people for a quote that required him to do work.

I'd charge $1350 or so for it... maybe more, depends on what they want, and how fussy they are (if I have to change things over and over and over because they can't decide.. I charge extra + hourly rates ontop of that for unexpected bs)
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

me too, i basically wont even talk to people anymore without a consult fee!

people just like to waste my time!

im a professional and have to be compensated as such!

lawyers dont work for free and neither do i!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I don't mind talking to people for free.. but it does piss me off some when they end up telling me the dont have enough money (even though they said they had financial support)..

But for the most part, I don't mind talking to someone for 10-15 minutes..

I'm trying to get into the local market.. clients over the internet are to un reliable..
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

If the site is going to be done in PHP and SQL for the backend you definetely have to charge them more then 1k.

Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media