Selling books online

Hello everyone,

May be this is not the forum for such a question and I sumited this question to other forums but could not get better answer. One of my clients need to sell books online. Is there any solution I can suggest him so that he can sell books. Actually few day ago I bought a latest perl desk software and when I paid I was sent an email with radomly generated long user name and password. I loged in to that and downloaded the software from their site. I liked that cauz it was secure. Can some body let me know about such a software. I found a software from http://www.membershipclientpro.com/ but it looks unsecure. Or if I get such a software do I have to buy ssl to make it secure so that no one can penerate in to my client's software. Can anyone suggest me better software.

Thanks

It's been a while since I developed stuff with PayPal, but I think one good script is:
    http://payloadz.com/

A lot of businesses use it for selling intellectual property/downloads. The trick is that most scripts use PayPal's API- that is, whenever someone makes a payment, PayPal's server sends a message to the merchant's server... the merchant can opt to have a script/program receive this message and act accordingly.

A good forum to do research on PayLoadz or other programs might be http://www.paypaldev.org.

You might also want to just have the script custom-made. If you hired a professional from the U.S. or Europe to code it, it would cost around $70-$200. I don't recommend hiring developers from Russia or India because of security issues, but it may be possible to get the project done for as little as $40-$50.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

I am also looking for something like this. I have a product I would like to sell and when payment is made via paypal, I would like Paypal IPN to notify a script on my server, which will then generate a random url and they will then be able to download the file. something along those lines.

Well, here's one way of coding this...

1. An order number is generated. This order number is passed to PayPal as the item number. Additionally, the return URL from PayPal has the order number in a query- EG: domain.com/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi?order#
    2. Customer pays at PayPal. PayPal's API/IPN sends info to a script. Script then adds info to database.
    3. Customer returns to another script to begin download. After download, item number is removed from database. (Customer cannot send the link to his friends)
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

Anything premade? I am not much of a coder.

Selling books online

Dear Friends,

Thanks for taking interest.
    HostMidwest there could be such a software that is integerated with famous merchants like paypal or worldpay. There are severals of online stores selling ebooks. What technich they adopt to sell ebooks? Is there any better way to do all that Did you visit the site http://www.membershipclient.com/. See its online demo and let me know is it secure to put ebooks there? I will be thankful.

Well, that software is definately a viable option. However, the passwords and user area will make the transaction take longer and might very well confuse or annoy the customer. (People buy ebooks on impulse; a 30 second transaction is preferable to a 3 minute transaction)

Additionally, it makes illegal file sharing easy. The customer just needs to send his friends the URL and password, and they're in.

However, the major advantages are:
    1. Customers get introduced to other products
    2. If a customer loses his/her program, he/she can download it again (for free).

If you plan on just selling an eBook or two, the software might not be worth $99, and in fact, I'm sure simpler program would work for you and your customers. However, if you plan on using the software's other features, then I'd recommend it.

Originally posted by ericnmu
    Anything premade? I am not much of a coder.
    Actually, a site I've been familiar with (I know who the developer is, but otherwise, I'm not affiliated.) is PayLoadz.com . They charge a monthly fee, but you can use their site to sell software via PayPal relatively securely.

Another option is to post an offer in the Employment section... This *should* cost under $200- then again, some 11 year-old kid or a very hungry Indian or Russian might offer to do it for $8.50.

Originally posted by HostMidwest
    ...then again, some 11 year-old kid or a very hungry Indian or Russian might offer to do it for $8.50.
    LOL ! Sending the funds there may cost slightly more...
    HostPromoter.net - www.hostpromoter.net
    Get your hosting business submitted to 100+ hosting directories.
    WebSitePromoter - www.wspromoter.com
    Get your sites submitted to 1500 Search Engine Friendly Directories!