Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review of C&W / Savvis

Hi - I just thought I'd post a review of my experience with Savvis / C&W over the last few months.

I've been with Savvis for the last few months and I'm absolutely thrilled. Our servers are at their Jersey City datacenter... The rack space in the cages for colo customers is a tad squishy but it's not a big deal.

In my opinion, the datacenter is a clean environment, all cages are locked and protected and you have to go through 3 locking doors to get access to the DC. The D.C staff is also top of the line.

As for network quality - wow - no downtime except for scheduled work at nights for upgrades. Everything is running better than I expected.

As for the support - I called their support line this morning for the first time to reboot a switch, I got a call back 5 minutes later from NOC staff telling me they were at my cage and ready to help me. That was quick - no busy signals, no run around.

My sales rep (Chris Clark) is amazing - he worked countless hours with me, back and forth to help arrange for what we need at a price that wasn't out of this world. He was helpful and responsive. He still calls and writes every few weeks to check up on things!

My customer service rep (Wendy Rossi) has also been amazing. Any time I've emailed her a question, I've received an email or phone call in return within a short period of time. Her responses are always filled with detail and it shows she cares about me as a client. She actively looks at what tickets I have open with savvis and if she sees any of them have gone too long without a reply, she will email the support staff.

Savvis offers a web portal that allows us to see our bandwidth usage in real time, as well as download all the individual data points. This interface also has all our invoices online, all of our payment history, ticket/support history as well as the ability to edit the list of people who are allowed in our cage, our customer profile and more.

All in all, yes they are a expensive (power is a killer! only 12 outlets per rack) - however I will never look back and I don't regret for a second the choice I made.
    Avi B

Avi, thanks for the thorough review... sounds like you're on to a winner there.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

I've been trying to tell people for a long time now how awesome Savvis is . Thanks for the re-enforcement

C&W was awesome.. and I think now that savvis has acquired it that they are awesome. Unfortunately not everyone can afford savvis/c&w.

Exodus was good, C&W was great, and SAVVIS is getting better with taking care of old C&W customer so I hear, but there is stills some things that could get better from what I hear from currently customers.

NJ1 is a great IDC, NJ2 is every nicer for those of you haven’t had the luxury of getting to see it.

Any idea what starting level of commitment is for Savvis in JC? I just need quarter rack and 1.5Mbps - maybe double both within a year?

If not in ballpark (I don't know if they sell by the caghe or the U - and website wasn't too informative), any resellers using their space I should speak with?

Best Wishes,
    Peter

we currently have a footprint in savvis' nj1 facility. all in all, i have been very pleased with the essentials, ie the network and the space - they have been rock solid. the folks at the nj1 noc are excellent to work with as well. my experience with wendy rossi has been quite the opposite of what you described, however, and they certainly have some issues they need to resolve fast.

peter: they sell by the rack, afaik (at least that is the minimum we have ever bought from them). based on the budget you posted in the other thread, going with them directly would put you out of range i'm afraid.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

fsusa:

I forget off hand what the minimum commit is for co-location, but I do know that it breaks down to something like $1200/mo minimum for a full cabinet (they won't go any lower than full cab.)

That is correct, they have a pretty high minimum commit, not as high as Level3 but you would have to take 1 Rack or Locking cabinet in Common space and you would still be around $1k/mo + they do have a pretty large initial setup fee for space , PWR, and X connect.

You’re defiantly best going with a Reseller for such a small commit, and you'll probably get better support.

Some of your options would be;

Companies that have their own space; (in no particular order)
    Digital Princeton - www.digitalprinceton.net
    Rusko Enterprises - www.rusko.us
    Choopa - www.choopa.net

Companies that are resellers of direct Savvis Customers;

Foundry NAP Networks - www.**********.com
    Colocate Me - www.colocateme.com

Paul - No comment on Wendy, I think you know how I felt about her while I had to deal with her. All the sales guys are good in my book though. Especially Paul R who was always willing to take ya out to lunch to close the deal.

Why is Foundry NAP's website (www.**********.com) blocked from WHT?

Foundry Nap got censor for some reason, and then they went and registered another domain/company.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

in general, company's domain names get banned when representatives of said company break the forum rules. this is generally speaking, of course.

paul

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Foundry Nap got censor for some reason, and then they went and registered another domain/company.

I believe they had the colocateme domain before they got censored... otherwise itd be censored to, no?

yes, they now run under the name colocateme cause they got banned.

FYI to all looking at www.**********.com the data center pictures.

http://www.**********.com/nj1pics/34exchange/

THESE ARE NOT PICTURES OF SAVVIS NJ1, they are all fake.

Those pictures came direct from a Savvis rep LostPacket I already talked to them when they put them up because I was surprised seeing as I heard no pictures were allowed.

They came from a Savvis rep named Tim Keating.

Originally posted by lostpacket
    yes, they now run under the name colocateme cause they got banned.

Colocateme is NOT even a live site being advertised anywhere, they did NOT switch because they got banned here.

They had that brand BEFORE they got banned... I will not take this FALSE bashing of my provider. THey are very good people.

They didnt start to use the domain colocatme.com untill fnap dot com got banned on WHT. They have posted fake pictures of thier facilites which is false advertising. There for im stating the truth not bashing the provider.

Those are deffinatly not pictures of NJ1 though.

You can take all the pictures you want within your own cage. Of course they don't have their own cage so they can't take any.

They are not fake pictures, get that into your head.

They got it DIRECT from a savvis rep named Tim Keating.

I even just got a screenshot from the owner of Foundry NAP ...

He gave it to me unedited, so i blocked out all emails and info not pertaining to this as I dont know if he wants it shown, its messy but i didnt take my time and you can see what im trying to say.

VIew this image and tell me they are lieing:

http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img9&image=tk.jpg

Ive been coloing my servers with them for a couple months now and they wouldnt lie about something like thsi

OK im going to set you all straight on this.

1. The pictures are of the Datacenter at JCY1
    2. FdyNap is not lying.
    3. If you get caught taking pictuers in your cage or any they will confiscate the item the pictures were taken with, the pictures will be destroyed and you will be booted from the datacenter, with the possibility of being kicked out for good.
    4. You ask how do i know this, I work there everyday.
    5. You got pictures from Savvis because there is no client hardware in the pictures.
    6. There are 2 floors in Jersey City that Savvis runs, so chances are you have not seen the whole datacenter because parts are closed off for large clients like Priceline and financial companies like Jeffries & Co.
    7. The reason you get such good service is because JCY is smaller then the Weehawkin site which is at 90% capacity.
    8. If you wanna know more, let me know, I can give you all the info you could possibly imagine.

I RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hang on... let me get my popcorn - ill be right back...

I started this thread as a review of my experience at savvis, how did it get so sidetracked?
    Avi B

Well someone posted pictures and someone was denying the fact that they were indeed from Savvis. So some of us wanted to assure people that they are indeed from the datacenter at JCY1.

Do all of you guys get your BW from Savvis only, or do some of you get from other providers?

If you wanna see a cool datacenter with some awesome stuff, check out equinix at 165 halsey in newark, they have free video games.

Originally posted by ImANOCMgr

If you wanna see a cool datacenter with some awesome stuff, check out equinix at 165 halsey in newark, they have free video games.
    LOL, that's definately on my list of data center neccesities. Ranks right up there with a fully redundant infrastructure, personable staff, and a customer focused management team.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

ImANOCMgr,

I have no idea who the heck your are but I was the previous CTO for a company that has a pretty decent commit at NJ1.

Its pretty clear you just created this username to reply to this post.

1. Its NJ1 NOT JCY1

I have been in almost all of the parts of the data center including the Meryl Lynch NOC located on the 8th floor.

It is also pretty clear you can’t be over the age of 16 cause you care more about the free video games at Equinix than you do about the facility it self.

This is something very stupid to argue about.

I worked in the facility for over 3 year and there are no such blue stand alone cabinets located in NJ1.

Maybe rusko can attest to some of this as he has some cage space with Savvis also.

Care to join in Rusko ?

no, actually i don't. i am sick and tired of kids starting 'companies', reneging on their obligations, spewing false advertising bordering on fraud, violating forum rules and re-registering with different names and domains to continue with their activities. i am also sick of all the kiddies they get to post bullcrap and attempt to argue it till they are blue in the face and we are red in the face from the sheer idiocy and illiteracy of their pronouncements.

fnap is in choopa's cage. choopa's cage looks nothing like those pictures. whether these pictures are of the nj1 facility or not is irrelevant - the reason they were used is that fnap can't possibly post pictures of their actual equipment, lest chris treto's lies come out.

we now return you to your usual programming, as i refuse to waste more time with this crap. behave now, kiddies.

p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast