Question server setup, hostname choice, RDNS questions?

Hi, hopefully someone can kindly share their wisdom on the setup of a dedicated server for only my own websites on a linux box running apache and cpanel.

One of my websites is the reason for the dedicated server (currently hammering a shared account) and the others are my websites (different domain names) that relate and link to that busy website but are themselves far less busy.

1. First off is my choice of hostname for the server, if my main website domain is for example mydomainname.com should I make the hostname svr.mydomainname.com if I do that are there any implications I should be aware of or does the choice of hostname not really matter. (I figured it would be more professional to have my main domain in email headers sent from the server and in other DNS stuff)

2. Should mydomainname.com website account be setup as a named account on the servers main shared virtual host IP along with my other less busy websites or as an account on a seperate IP (server will have 4 IP`s) to the others.

3. I will not be running a nameserver on the server as DNS will be taken care of by my registrar-resellers nameservers and their DNS control panel, they have 5 geographically dispersed nameservers which has to be better than running my own 2 nameservers on the same server, do you also think this is a good idea?

4. With regards to RDNS (reverse dns) for the server, this will be setup for the servers main shared virtual host IP by my datacenter who control the IP block and I understand it requires a FQDN for the IP to resolve back to, should this FQDN be my main domain name (mydomainname.com) or is it best to have it resolve back to another domain name of mine that has nothing to do with my business but can also be hosted on the server.

Thanks for any advice, pearls of wisdom, etc, I do appreciate it.

Philco

1. think of a server name etc matrix.webhostname.com <<---- thats a hostname

2. Yes , have you main webhost website on the mainshared IP , say you have 150-200 people on a server , divide that by how many IP's you have available to use . ( excluding nameservers and main shared ) ; and thats how many you put on a ip . In simple terms , put your customers out on the IP's evenly.

3 . In a way it is better to run the DNS servers on your server , this way you can make DNS changes instantly .

4. Care to explain this more?

Regards , Logan
    DigitalGoods.info
    FREE Shared, Mega Resellers + Dedicated Servers

1. think of a server name etc matrix.webhostname.com <<---- thats a hostname
    Sure but I`m thinking of what are the pros and cons of using my main domain name as the hostname..
    2. Yes , have you main webhost website on the mainshared IP , say you have 150-200 people on a server , divide that by how many IP's you have available to use . ( excluding nameservers and main shared ) ; and thats how many you put on a ip . In simple terms , put your customers out on the IP's evenly.
    I don`t have customers all the domains hosted on the server will be mine, but the main domain is very busy whilst the others are not.
    3 . In a way it is better to run the DNS servers on your server , this way you can make DNS changes instantly .
    I can make DNS changes instantly at namecheap, why would I want to run my own nameservers? If was a reseller then I can understand doing it for a professional look but I am not reselling anything on the server.
    4. Care to explain this more?
    Sorry, I should have said PTR-records, I believe these are used by some ISP`s (aol) to resolve my mail servers IP (within email headers) to an FQDN, otherwise I will have mail delivery problems.

Thanks for replying, hope that explains it a bit more..

Philco