Thumbs up layeredtech, good service

Heres a 1 week review of layeredtech

Signed up with them 5/4, server set up 5/6. Had multiple emails along the way with status as they went. The setup time was very reasonable and things were done right. I'd imagine ordering is usually faster since I ordered during WHT special.

They had fast response on presales questions (order form had 2 ips when it was advertised as 8, so they changed the order form)

One nice thing about the setup was that they didn't email me the root password. They put it in a file and gave me a user account to ssh into. This is the way it should be done since email is insecure.

Once it was set up I made the mistake of doing a make deinstall && make reinstall in the openssl port. Long story short, this isn't a great thing to do in freebsd because pkg_add and su both rely on openssl libs. Anyways, I emailed them at 3:00am. They sent me an email saying they would send someone to look at it at 3:10am. I went to bed and in the morning had an email saying problem resolved, timestamped 6:30. Pretty good response time, especially for so early in the morning. They didn't charge for the fix even though it was clearly my fault!

More testing I saw that my network speeds were pretty slow. Put in a detailed ticket comparing speeds to the TMS box I have to see what was up, turns out the network card didn't like being in 10Mb mode. Ticket in at 3:30pm, resolved at 4:00pm. They kept it in 100Mb mode and gave me the option of upgrading the account or changing nic over to an intel one and continuing to run at 10Mb. Changed the NIC over, had about 10 minute of downtime. Speeds nice and fast now.

In short, supports been very fast, polite and able to deal with problems. Prices are great, got a celeron 2.0ghz, 1024 ram, 80 gb drive, 1000gb transfer, cpanel for $95/mo. The cheapest SM box you can get with Cpanel is $99. Speeds are of course nice as its on theplanet bandwidth.

I'll post another review in a few months to let you know how things are going.

Sounds great, I'm looking to get a server from them too and test it out. If it turned out great, would commit all our future shared hosting servers with them!

Great review mkc, glad to see you found a good provider.

yeah that sounds great.. i too was planning on using them
    but i got a question, since i know nothing at all about managing servers, would i still be able to manage the site? or should i know stuff like openssl prot, tms boxes, 10/100MB modes, nic, etc...? cause all that stuff make me go 'duh?'

You'd need to get someone else to manage the server for you. There are a few management co's on the board. I highly recommend you use someone who offers such services as without someone who knows what their doing on the box, you could get yourself in trouble very quickly.

Really quickly, though,
    openssl is encryption libs that programs use.
    tms is tailormadeservers where my other server is from.
    10/100mb and nic refer to the network card.

oh
    looks like i gotta get my friend into the project
    thnx