ServerMatrix hardware question

One of my harddisks got some bad sector in the server. So I ask their support to replace it. But they said I need to pay $75 fee. I just thought they will replace the harddisks for free if there is any problem.

Does anyone got similar experiences?

Re: ServerMatrix hardware question

Originally posted by maxbear
    One of my harddisks got some bad sector in the server. So I ask their support to replace it. But they said I need to pay $75 fee. I just thought they will replace the harddisks for free if there is any problem.

Does anyone got similar experiences?
    It happend to me twice.

You will be bounced around departments, you will have to contact sales. Sales will have to approve the OS reinstall at no charge. You will then have to deal with tech support to have this performed and have your "hardware" (and I use that term loosely) replaced.

Now when you have jumped through all of these hoops, please update this post, and in your own words give us the number of hours you were down.

I was down 1.) 36 hours and 2.) 6 days.

That harddisk doesn't have the OS. That's a 2nd harddisks. I just use them to store the data.

I asked them if they can set me up a temp third harddisks and I will transfer all my data. And they said no, data must be transfer by their tech. I just don't know why.

OK, i will ask their sales, see if they can do anything.

Oh sorry. I just see their reply. They said if the harddisk got bad sectors, their would be no fee for replacement. That's sound good.

Originally posted by maxbear
    Oh sorry. I just see their reply. They said if the harddisk got bad sectors, their would be no fee for replacement. That's sound good.
    Good, I'm glad you are happy. SM is a reasonably fine company.

The standard reply to a hardware issue with them seems to be a $75 email. I wonder how many do not question this and pay it?????????

As a server provider, its somewhat difficult to handle those situations because of the fact that 95%+ of the people who claim they have bad hardware really have bad kernels, or whatever else. Its our duty to figure out what's really going on before jumping to the occassion and swapping hard drives out.

I had one customer with an extremely high end server who continually claimed he had bad hardware for several weeks. Even though I knew the exact problem (he was using a development kernel) I went ahead and ponied up the cash to replace it. A few days later he starts having the same problems and comes to the realization that it was his kernel (like we had been trying to explain).

Its situations like those that make things more difficult on those customers who legitimately understand whats going on and don't blame all of their problems on hardware.

Originally posted by DeathNova
    Its situations like those that make things more difficult on those customers who legitimately understand whats going on and don't blame all of their problems on hardware.
    Yes, your claim is understandable. Kernel issues do not apply to secondary backup drives. SM will seek $75 everytime you expericnce any sort of hardware failure. This is a good example.

PSF that is incorrect sorry to say. Two nights ago our server failed. The rebooted it did not come back online. NOC checked it out video card fried in the server. Replaced chassis they did not have our model a 1.4 celeron replaced it with a 2.4 chassis. 3 hours fo downtime while they did this a the server came back online as normal. No charge for this and I praise SM for a job well done again.