What is Adobe InDesign used for?

What is Adobe InDesign used for? I am confused about all of adobe's products.

Thanks,

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Hi Derrick. Adobe InDesign allows you to lay out pages with text and images in preparation for commercial printing. For example, if I were a graphic designer, I might take the text from a writer and pictures from a photographer and create a magazine layout in InDesign. It allows more freedom than a word processors (such as Microsoft Word)

Similar products include Adobe PageMaker (somewhat of a precursor to InDesign), Quark XPress (which is probably the most widely used page layout program), and Microsoft Publisher (which is generally not used by professionals).

Thank you prattboy...

I was looking to design a coupon layout for a business, i will have to look into using photoshop and indesign together.

Thanks again

Derrick

In that case, I would definitely recommend InDesign. If you've used Photoshop, you'll recognize a lot of the interface elements.

I would recommend InDesign over Publisher any day

how about InDesign or Quarkexpress?
    Which is better?
    -= PREMIUM DOMAIN NAMES @ DOMAINPEP.COM

Indesign replaced Pagemaker.

We use Indesign (we use to use Pagemarker) and find it to be an excellent program on our Mac G5. We publishes a 65 page newsletter every month and we use Indesign to make the newsletter and create a PDF For internet viewing.

Sounds good Rob, thanks for the input. It seems to be a great program, havent had much time to use it much yet.

Derrick

Originally posted by mantra
    how about InDesign or Quarkexpress?
    Which is better?
    Quark has been the defacto standard in the publishing industry, and most printers will tell you that it's more reliable. The learning curve is a little bit more difficult than InDesign, however.

Interestingly, Quark almost missed the boat. Adobe was quick to release an OS X version of InDesign and gained more market share by offering discounts when purchased with Photoshop. Quark dragged their feet and took awhile getting to market with their OS X product... which was bad news because up until the release of Xpress 6, the program only ran in classic mode on OS X, and it ran poorly, at that. If you really wanted to use it, you had to reboot your machine under OS 9 and use it. Annoying! Of course, this is all moot if you use a Windows machine, but the printing world is dominated by Apple.

With that said, I still prefer the interface of InDesign and appreciate its tight integration with Photoshop and Illustrator. Better learning curve, too. Still can't deny the power of Quark, though.

And to get technical, Adobe alleges that InDesign is not a replacement for Pagemaker. Pagemaker is at version 7, now. While Pagemaker is supposed to be targeted towards business and technical publications, most don't believe that. InDesign is definitely better than Pagemaker.