* Offbeat News :: Aussies incensed by new study; Boomerang invented in England ! ??

Article extract >> SOURCE : ABC NEWS [The Australian one]

A British children's author is claiming the boomerang, an iconic symbol of Australian heritage, was in fact invented in Britain.

Terry Deary says he was out jogging in the Ilkley Moors near West Yorkshire, when he passed the famous Swastika Stone, an ancient carving on a rock which looks like a curvy swastika.

Experts say the Bronze-age image, dating from around 3,000 to 4,000 BC, is a sun or fire worship symbol.

But Mr Deary is going all out by suggesting that it is, in fact, a depiction of a quadrangular boomerang.

However, a member of Britain's Australian community described the claim as absolute rubbish.

"Next the British will be claiming they invented Fosters beer," he said.

--AFP

End extract <<

Full article, no link.

We might not hav reclaimed the ashes yet but maybe now we'll start with the boomerang. Of all the countries that could've claimed something like this, the Aussies really wouldn't have wanted it to be this island and England.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

meh, does anyone in AUS really care? lol......

PS. I'm in AUS

Sounds like Terry Deary just wants a bit of free press. I'd never heard of him till now.

"Australians incensed"

Were they? Must ask if the locals down there at the moment sense that at all... or was it just a case of a few politicians carrying on like pork chops while no-one else gave a damn - like usual
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

That's just some author looking to drum up some publicity. Terry Deary must have a book coming out soon.

I'd say most aussies couldn't give 2 h00ts if some Pom thinks they invented the boomerang. We have the ashes, Delta Goodram is on the mend and Eddy McGuire has been kidnapped by Aliens (j/k, wishful thinking there ) all is good in the land of Oz.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Delta Goodram is on the mend
    Don't get much Aussie news out here so that's good to hear.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Who cares?... I mean really, WHO CARES?..

Before they start getting more ideas this is to state that Indians discovered the zero value.

Anyways is there any use for a boomerang ? lol

Re: Offbeat News :: Aussies incensed by new study; Boomerang invented in England ! ??

Originally posted by Critic
    "Next the British will be claiming they invented Fosters beer," he said.
    I don't know of anyone who'd mind someone else taking that title. We've been pushing Fosters onto the Brits for years. Take it!

Gary

I agree 110% with Gary! No one in Australia likes the stuff
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

The poms are pissed off that they lost the ashes so they gave us a fake.

Originally posted by simonclark
    The poms are pissed off that they lost the ashes so they gave us a fake.
    Apparently the real ashes vessle can't be moved from its current location in Lords. They say that the journey to Oz (it would only be 1 way ) could damage the vessle.

That could be right, but IMO, it's just sour grapes from the cricket "establishment" in England, horrified at the thought of us simple colonists having possession of their most prized cricketing possession.

Nah, it was the football result that really peeved us. Us proud poms getting beaten by a bunch of criminals
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

If the Brits want to lay claim to the boomerang, let 'em!

Re: Offbeat News :: Aussies incensed by new study; Boomerang invented in England ! ??

Terry Deary says he was out jogging in the Ilkley Moors near West Yorkshire, when he passed the famous Swastika Stone, an ancient carving on a rock which looks like a curvy swastika.
    I live about 5 miles from there... Next time I am there I will take a look
    -- Matthew

...doesn really matter who invented it and when...

...just like on the Discovery: "how many of the inventions have we forgotten in the past, just to reinvent them later"...

...I think as far as 99.999% of the world is concerned, the boomerang is an Australian thing....

...after all you don't see a lot of the Brits running around with a boomerang trying to catch a lunch...

You don't see many Aussies either

Al Gore invented the internet.

Thou shalt not steal his work

I don't see this as some PR stunt at the minute, this guy generally believes that it originated in Engand first. Whether he is right, well some of you might not think so.

I did think that some of you might act a bit differently, its one of those stereotypical Aussie things that are known around the world; maube next we can send in extraction team and transport Ayres Rock to London for display and the Neighbours set and cast

Oh something that you might want to know..

THE RUGBY WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS, ENGLAND, have been declared LOREAS SPORTS AWARD'S TEAM OF THE YEAR.

Has a nice ring to it don't you think.

Not sure there is any documentation that it originated here, it was just one of those accepted things. As you see we are not incensed

Aborigines did come from another land though, so maybe it was England

this guy generally believes that it originated in Engand first.
    I just think he has "Kylie" on the mind (the name our native Aborigines used for the boomerang).

maube next we can send in extraction team and transport Ayres Rock to London for display and the Neighbours set and cast
    No need. "Ramsey Street" has more Poms in it on filming days than Aussies already.

I'll ignore your World Cup comment...

Gary

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Not sure there is any documentation that it originated here, it was just one of those accepted things.
    It didn't orginate here. It can be traced back way in to India and Ancient Europe.

Originally posted by AussieHosts
    No need. "Ramsey Street" has more Poms in it on filming days than Aussies already.

I'll ignore your World Cup comment...

Gary
    Well it is very popular over here as i'm sure you know Is it just us Poms that like it i wonder, the Kiwis probably do to i guess and the Aussies of course..

Oh don't ignore it, remember Australia did come runner up. And the ashes are coming home, well the title i mean. Michael Vaughn, Marcus Trescothick, Steve Harmerson etc, yep i'm pretty confident.

Not sure there is any documentation that it originated here, it was just one of those accepted things. As you see we are not incensed
    On the incensed bit, well that's what was siad in the article and on a radio report. Guess you lot aren't by the looks of it.

Aborigines did come from another land though, so maybe it was England
    You're half right, probably the same tribe waay bacck when, there are a couple of nation's a bit closer to Birtain than Oz that I don't think we in that tribe though.

Did you aussies know that the Aborriginies have now set up there own dedicated political party [well i' sure they have been ones before but the report i heard made this move seem quite far reaching]. This comes after the Maori situation in the New Zealand parliament doesn';t it.

Critic,

This whole boomerang thing brings back some good memories!!
    I was a young tacker when I had my experience, took it over to the park. There was reasonable breeze and after a few soft throws, I gave it a fair old throw into the wind, it went around on its ark came back right at me, then took off with the wind over some houses. Never to be seen again
    Its a good feeling throwing a boomerang knowing it's going to hunt you <- Great thrill
    I suppose you POMS will want a refund on your Aussie boomerangs

. . . I did think that some of you might act a bit differently, its one of those stereotypical Aussie things that are known around the world;

Nah, we know when someone's blowing smoke out of their, errrrrr, tailpipe, when we see it.
    THE RUGBY WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS, ENGLAND, have been declared LOREAS SPORTS AWARD'S TEAM OF THE YEAR.
    Thank goodness at least one of your team knows how to score.

on a side note:

I don't think any country wants to lay claim to Fosters beer.