Big managed.com problem

Hey WHT Folks,

Here's my story. I signed up with Managed.com (first mistake) about a week and a half ago. When I got the IP block, I couldn't create my nameservers because 2 were already listed. Support couldn't help me and told me that I had to wait until the last user goes and unregisters them. After some help on here, someone told me how to do it and I was able to fix the problem myself, showing just how poor the tech support staff is at managed. Well, throughout the next week, I called somewhere around 10 times and never received an answer from anybody. I got the machine every time during normal business hours. This was pretty disheartening but I still stuck with it. FInally, on Saturday May 1st, I called time and time again and finally a young man picked up and said, "Hello?" I thought it was a little unprofessional, but I was just glad to get someone on the phone. However, when I tried to ask about my server, he said, "Oh, I don't work for managed.com. The tech guys aren't in so I'm just helping them out by taking messages." This is when I decided I had to cancel. Not only was I not getting any support from the company, but now they have strangers in their datacenter???

I called and spoke with the manager and he continued to cite the policy that they do not give refunds. I brought it to his attention that his policy would stand with me if they were meeting their end of the bargain. Furthermore, they have an enormous security breach by allowing strangers in the datacenter without managed employees around. He didn't believe me and said he'd have to look into it.

So, all in all, I have to reverse the charges with my credit card company. He gave me the threat that "the accounting department fights hard against credit card reversals" and told me that they turn them into a collection agency. So after all of this, I'm going to have to deal with my credit rating taking a hit, just to cancel my server and get a refund.

What do you guys think? Of course I'll get the, "You shouldn't have gone with managed.com" posts, but I'm really looking more for advice on my situation.

Re: Big managed.com problem

Originally posted by ChrisF79
    FInally, on Saturday May 1st, I called time and time again and finally a young man picked up and said, "Hello?" I thought it was a little unprofessional
    I believe last month they had a downtime because someone tripped over their router cables or somehing hehe
    Ben S.

Re: Re: Big managed.com problem

Originally posted by TheTrance
    I believe last month they had a downtime because someone tripped over their router cables or somehing hehe
    Yeah, probably.

Just when i thought they were getting their act together, this happends. I guess it depends on when you buy the server, some people have gotten non-stop good services, others have gotten nothing but crappy services.

I agree that they gave you bad service, but they still gave you service. They state a no refund policy, so I don't see what right you have in charging back the credit card. You could have easily researched here on what you were getting yourself into and you could have easily read they have a no refund policy.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Did you try to put a helpdesk ticket ?

I don't beleive doing a chargeback because they do not offer telephone support is right.

In that case, doing a chargeback would be considered fraud.

So, all in all, I have to reverse the charges with my credit card company. He gave me the threat that "the accounting department fights hard against credit card reversals" and told me that they turn them into a collection agency. So after all of this, I'm going to have to deal with my credit rating taking a hit, just to cancel my server and get a refund.
    You agreed to the terms, it stated no refunds, and you want one. A chargeback is fraud in this case. You're not going to get a refund, and if they lose the charge back & you get your $50-100 back, are you willing to take a hit in your credit rating? I didn't think so.

Why would you do the chargeback? You're getting the service that you ordered. Just because you don't get a tech directly on the phone isn't grounds for a chargeback. You can always leave a message with a person or voicemail system. Where do they advertise phone support 24/7? They don't even have regular support 24/7. You're getting what you paid for, plain and simple.

- Matt

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    I agree that they gave you bad service, but they still gave you service. They state a no refund policy, so I don't see what right you have in charging back the credit card. You could have easily researched here on what you were getting yourself into and you could have easily read they have a no refund policy.
    I see where you are coming from, however I disagree that htey gave me service. They were unable to answer my questions via email, and a few emails they didn't even answer. Furthermore, I believe a datacenter has to have security precautions in effect, and having a stranger in the datacenter is grounds to cancel the server and receive a full refund in my opinion.

Well, how much I hate to say, I've read the SLA, and it says you don't get a refund. It also says you can't hold Managed.com liable to any damages, etc..
    http://www.managed.com/sla.htm toward the bottom, IX. Indemnification

It doesn't matter what you believe they should do, it doesn't matter that their support doesn't match what you want. The fact is, they gave you a server, as promised. You read and agreed to their terms that state no refund and it should have been obvious by the prices that their service wouldn't be top-rate.

I see where you are coming from, however I disagree that htey gave me service. They were unable to answer my questions via email, and a few emails they didn't even answer. Furthermore, I believe a datacenter has to have security precautions in effect, and having a stranger in the datacenter is grounds to cancel the server and receive a full refund in my opinion.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I don't think you fully realize how Managed.com opperates. Managed.com leases floor space (or a cage, or a suite) from the carrier hotel/datacenter. They don't physically have an office on the datacenter floor, next to their racks. Their office is most likely on the same floor or a few floors away. Managed.com is probably using an answering service for off hours - it wouldn't make sense financially to hire someone during off-hours while you can outsource to an answering service for a fraction of the cost. Around here, a lot of doctors, plumbers, and electricians use answering services to relay messages and emergency situations. I'm not even sure that Managed.com has their main office in the same building as the datacenter (they may just have a few techs there, while sales and management employees may be in the RackLogic offices). I know that Steve of RackLogic owns a good chunk of Managed.com, so that may in fact be the case. They're by no means "having a stranger" answer phones for them in their datacenter.

-Josh

FInally, on Saturday May 1st, I called time and time again and finally a young man picked up and said, "Hello?" I thought it was a little unprofessional, but I was just glad to get someone on the phone. However, when I tried to ask about my server, he said, "Oh, I don't work for managed.com. The tech guys aren't in so I'm just helping them out by taking messages." This is when I decided I had to cancel. Not only was I not getting any support from the company, but now they have strangers in their datacenter???
    They don't offer support on weekends, so anyone picking up is better than nothing. As for a 'stranger', you have no idea who that person is, but that doesn't mean they don't. You also have no idea if that person is even IN the datacenter.

None of your reasons really show you as deserving to get a refund, especially because they have a NO REFUNDS policy.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Ok folks, thanks a bunch for your opinions. I guess I'll just leave it be and continue on my way. I have a servermatrix server now so things are looking up. I learned my managed.com lesson and will do whatever it takes to keep others from using that company. I am pretty disappointed.

Again, thanks for all of your input.

You are correct. Managed.com's call center is in Fremont. The datacenter is in San Jose. There were no security violations. Only authorized personel are allowed in the DC.

Originally posted by Joshua
    I don't think you fully realize how Managed.com opperates. Managed.com leases floor space (or a cage, or a suite) from the carrier hotel/datacenter. They don't physically have an office on the datacenter floor, next to their racks. Their office is most likely on the same floor or a few floors away. Managed.com is probably using an answering service for off hours - it wouldn't make sense financially to hire someone during off-hours while you can outsource to an answering service for a fraction of the cost. Around here, a lot of doctors, plumbers, and electricians use answering services to relay messages and emergency situations. I'm not even sure that Managed.com has their main office in the same building as the datacenter (they may just have a few techs there, while sales and management employees may be in the RackLogic offices). I know that Steve of RackLogic owns a good chunk of Managed.com, so that may in fact be the case. They're by no means "having a stranger" answer phones for them in their datacenter.

-Josh

Re: Re: Big managed.com problem

Originally posted by TheTrance
    That's not only ridiculous, but slanderous. Careful.

Hey WHT Folks,

Here's my story. I signed up with Managed.com (first mistake) about a week and a half ago. When I got the IP block, I couldn't create my nameservers because 2 were already listed. Support couldn't help me and told me that I had to wait until the last user goes and unregisters them. After some help on here, someone told me how to do it and I was able to fix the problem myself, showing just how poor the tech support staff is at managed. Well, throughout the next week, I called somewhere around 10 times and never received an answer from anybody. I got the machine every time during normal business hours. This was pretty disheartening but I still stuck with it. FInally, on Saturday May 1st, I called time and time again and finally a young man picked up and said, "Hello?" I thought it was a little unprofessional, but I was just glad to get someone on the phone. However, when I tried to ask about my server, he said, "Oh, I don't work for managed.com. The tech guys aren't in so I'm just helping them out by taking messages." This is when I decided I had to cancel. Not only was I not getting any support from the company, but now they have strangers in their datacenter???

I called and spoke with the manager and he continued to cite the policy that they do not give refunds. I brought it to his attention that his policy would stand with me if they were meeting their end of the bargain. Furthermore, they have an enormous security breach by allowing strangers in the datacenter without managed employees around. He didn't believe me and said he'd have to look into it.

What do you guys think? Of course I'll get the, "You shouldn't have gone with managed.com" posts, but I'm really looking more for advice on my situation.
    Are you sure you're feeling okay? Why would you put your credit at risk for < $100? There are people today that would pay thousands to repair their credit, and you're willing to throw it out over this? I would really think that through!

Bad service isnt a reason for a chargeback, thats just a lame excuse.

As KarlZimmer said, if you read around about managed.com before you go a server from then, you would have never of had this problem in the first place

Originally posted by oktagone
    Bad service isnt a reason for a chargeback, thats just a lame excuse.

As KarlZimmer said, if you read around about managed.com before you go a server from then, you would have never of had this problem in the first place
    I agree. Managed has every right to pursue action against those who decide to issue a chargeback because they didn't understand that they were buying a budget server

Re: Re: Re: Big managed.com problem

Originally posted by BChosting
    That's not only ridiculous, but slanderous. Careful.
    Actually that would be libel (written word) not slander (spoken word) and while I am no lawyer I certainly don't think it crosses that line. Fact of the matter is they did indeed have downtime, it was the confirmed cause of the downtime that resulted in some speculation.

I agree with the majority here, you shouldn't really do a charge-back in this case. Not because I don't think you could prevail, I think you could. It's simply a matter of economics as it would cost you much more than the $100.00 that is involved.

However if you were going to pursue this, the steps would likely go like this;

1) Initiate the charge-back
    2) Managed.com would dispute.
    3) You are not using the services so your credit card company would most likely accommodate the charge-back.
    4) Managed.com turns the amount over to collection.
    5) You obtain a lawyer and fight the charge.
    6) You would again most likely prevail because you are not using their services and there are consumer protection laws that would allow you quite a bit of latitude in cases like this.

Bottom line is that it would likely cost you a LOT more than $100.00 to achieve a favorable result. Or you could just walk away...

I'm not trying to be funny here, but did you dial the right number when you got some strange person that said they were roaming around? People used to dial my number on Sunday mornings asking for a realty company. After months of this, I would tell them sure I'll meet you there....

Mistakes are made, you never know when you will be on that side of the fence.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 05-11-2004 at 09:16 PM.

To all the people who say "bad service is no reason to do a chargeback" I agree and disagree.
    I don't think doing a charge back is the right way (even if it may be the only way)
    I think managed.com are a fault here big time.
    What people seem to forget, is that even though the agreement says "no refunds", dedicated server hosting is a consumer business almost.
    This means they should follow the same rules are, for arguement sakes, a department store should.
    Customer is wrong, but to save face, and make the customer not go and do things like this (post on WHT) managed.com should say "ok, you didnt get the level of service you were expecting, we made some mistakes (WHICH THEY DID), here's your money back, have a nice day"
    That way, he goes away thinking managed.com arnt *as* bad, and doesnt come and post on WHT.
    Managed.com have done more than $100 of damage with just this thread!
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

Originally posted by robdavy
    To all the people who say "bad service is no reason to do a chargeback" I agree and disagree.
    I don't think doing a charge back is the right way (even if it may be the only way)
    I think managed.com are a fault here big time.
    What people seem to forget, is that even though the agreement says "no refunds", dedicated server hosting is a consumer business almost.
    This means they should follow the same rules are, for arguement sakes, a department store should.
    Customer is wrong, but to save face, and make the customer not go and do things like this (post on WHT) managed.com should say "ok, you didnt get the level of service you were expecting, we made some mistakes (WHICH THEY DID), here's your money back, have a nice day"
    That way, he goes away thinking managed.com arnt *as* bad, and doesnt come and post on WHT.
    Managed.com have done more than $100 of damage with just this thread!
    Well, whatever the case may be, I'm not doing a chargeback. You know, as the managed.com manager put it, its not just $100. According to him, it costs him $600 per server to assign a server to a new customer. So he sees it as he's out $600. Evidentally this guy has never taken a managerial accounting course in his life...

Maybe YOU should take a managerial accounting course...

Do you think that hardware is free ? That support techs that test, rack and install the OS on the server work for free ? That the network engineer that plans the network for new servers is working for free ? That transactions on a merchant account are free ? That switches that connect your server to the network are free ?

When you are running a business, you have to divide all those costs to know exactly how much costs a new customer including everything.

And what is BAD service ? One may consider a service as good while another would consider it bad.

Should a customer suffering from 15 min of downtime initiate a chargeback because he was expecting 100% uptime and he only got 99.99998% ?