Question San Jose - Fremont Colo

I have been researching data centers in the east/south bay area for quite some time and have narrowed it down to those listed below. For those of you who actually have/had a presence in any of these locations any comments would be much appreciated. Would also be grateful for any recommendations of resellers located in each. Peer1, rackonline etc. For reference I will be getting a half or full cabinet to house a couple servers and 20-40Mbs bw (carriers combined).

-Equinix SJ-
    No doubt this is a top choice but I need to justify the cost difference to my clients. From what I have read on their website the equinix direct service seems very appealing but the online demonstration admittedly has me confused. Are the prices given as examples even ANYWHERE near what you can expect to be charged? {If so I’ll probably meet all of you there}. In comparison to the economic advantage case study also on their site the numbers show a small* discrepancy.

-MPT-
    Read somewhere about free cross connects therefore making it more affordable than EQIX(250each/month) in my case. Is this true?

I also was interested in inquiring about the Above.net SJC3 and XO Fremont facilities but am I correct in assuming they are not neutral facilities…at least not yet? Anyone have any current info on AboveNet’s “multihomed network service, coming soon”?

By the way, nice to meet all of you. I’ve read more on this board in the last week than you can ever imagine.

hmm, is there a reason why my post got deleted?

Well, basically XO Fremont is not carrier neutral, but if you wish to pick up other carriers, then you're welcome to ride on our fibers...

Originally posted by Mfjp
    hmm, is there a reason why my post got deleted?
    Becase you aren't allowed to solicit on any forums other then advertising forums
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Originally posted by Neosurge
    Becase you aren't allowed to solicit on any forums other then advertising forums
    I did not see the first post but I don't mind stating what is capable and what is not. Mfjp was one of the people I wanted to respond to this thread regarding XO.

At the moment I'm only considering the first two but what I really want to know is, if you are in one of the above DCs why you chose it over the others. Looking forward to the comments.

All I said was I could let people ride on our fiber/gigE to get to carrier neutral places where they can pickup another carrier.... I guess I gotta reread the forum rules, sorry.

We pick XO over the carrier neutral DC because of peace of mind (other than we got a good deal...), one of the main problem with us, being a colocation provider is support. I have started at 200 Paul Avenue and support is a HUGE problem. Even a reboot + manual fsck cost me $50 bux and a few hours of wait time. With MPT and Equinix, you'll be looking at a huge support bill if your'e not local or if you dont' staff your DC 24/7. Now that I'm in XO, all I need to do is call and I would get help. For non-emergency request, they're a bit slow, but I don't mind about it since they would troubleshoot problems for me when they're free. And now that my loop/fiber to carrier Neutral DC is coming, I've got myself a carrier DC support and "carrier neutrality"

RackOnline.com is located in MPT and offers colocation.

Edit: I see you know about them already. I'd definitely recommend them.

-Josh

www.jupiterhosting.com in san jose has their own datacenter
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

I'm sure more people here host in one of the above. Anyone?

I can't tell you from my own experience how those DCs are, but one of my close friends has a couple of servers in the Equinix SJ and the connection and latency is second to none.

teki,

since equinix is not providing the connectivity to your close friend, care to share who he buys transit from? surely, this would be much more valuable.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

I believe he uses Autica for Equinix Colocation. I might of mistaken San Jose for somewhere else though.

Says Equinix Chicago on the site

Thanks for the responses thou Teki

You're welcome . Sorry I thought it was San Jose. I knew he used Equinix but I didn't know where. We never really discussed that.