Question Ethics of promoting website on others forums?

Wondering what y'all think of visiting forums that are topically related to a commercial website you run and registering/posting with your website name as your user name and links to shopping on your site in your signature. Is this an ethical way to steer potential business to your site, or is it considered a form of "SPAM"? All responses appreciated! Thanks

If the forum you are posting to has nothing in its TOS relating to such - I do not see a problem in it. Besides - you might not be able to always find one answer in one particular forum & sometimes better off finding another one.

Sometimes - some TOS will prohibit you if you are advertising a forum that might be in direct competition.

Thanks - PS - is that your own site in your signature?

Well let's take this Forum's TOS for example. If you want a signature, it must be created. It cannot be typed into your message. And the signature can only have two hyperlinks. And it can contain two smileys or one animated smiley. You can read more here: Custom User Titles and Signatures

Some forums do not even allow for a signature. Or you can create a signature but no links to your business. Some forums - like this one - you can create the signature but you cannot direct people to your website. It does get a little confusing from time to time over what forum you can or cannot do what in. One forum I am a member of - no hyperlinks whatsoever. I think they took it a little overboard, but I totally understand why & I repsect that decision.

But it is ok for one member to tell another member to contact so and so company on here, they will point you into the right direction or help you out. Sort of a round about way to advertise but if it works for the forum, let it be.