Cheap Dedicated Servers?

Call it simple curiosity.

Right now you can rent/lease a dedicated server from any number of dedicated server and co-location providers for around $100-$200 a month.

I'm guessing that the cost of bandwidth and the price of computers are the key factors in the cost, not to mention maintenance and support.

I remember when web hosting cost $30 to $35 a month, how soon do you folks guess before dedicated servers cost that much?

I ask because it seems that computers are practically "there" in cost, as well as bandwidth being extremely cheap these days.

I ask this because it would seem to indicate web hosting will continue to become more cut throat and there will be a greater shake out of the little guy.

I wonder if in the long run web hosting is a dying business (breed) so to speak.
    Submit your web site to our webmaster directory for FREE:

http://www.snuka.com

In my opinion,

there are huge sites that will chip out the money for the resources in that of a dedicated server for themselves, and they already have dedicated servers.

then there will be smaller sites that will only want to chip out what they need.. and this is where webhosting is, and will continue to be.

computers aren't exactly "there" in cost.. Well.. I suppose the cheap things are.. I mean take a look at managed.com.. $55 for a celeron processor! Thats practically your $30-$35 with added maintenence, support, and bandwidth charges. Dedicated servers costs may go that low.. But theres a spot for webhosting too.
    josh

Without sounding like I have a huge ego, I'd honestly say that 90% of our clients could care less about the price they pay.

Their websites work, they know where to contact me, and I always bend over backwards to satisfy every single one of them.

I think it's server like this (many of us offer) that will keep the industry alive.

Sounds like, self promotion. jk. And your clients aren't human, things have to be marginal or cost effective, im pretty sure you would not even have signed those clients if they were at some far fetched price bracket.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

I know the self-promo was a joke, but honestly, I don't advertise my hosting company anywhere on WHT. Not the clients I'm looking for.

As for prices...

Originally posted by Mekhu
    I know the self-promo was a joke, but honestly, I don't advertise my hosting company anywhere on WHT. Not the clients I'm looking for.

As for prices...
    Let's talk over breakfast.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™