Exclamation California movie pirate sent to jail

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -- In the first sentencing under California's new anti-camcording law, a 34-year-old Los Angeles-area man has been sent to jail for 42 days, the Motion Picture Assn. of America said Friday.

Ruben Moreno, 34, was also given three years' probation and ordered to forfeit his camcorder during sentencing at Los Angeles Superior Court on May 3.

Moreno was caught taping "The Alamo" at the Pacific Winnetka Theatre in Los Angeles on April 12 when a projectionist noticed the light from his video camera and the sighting was confirmed through night vision goggles.

The law prohibiting such digital piracy was enacted January 1.

People do it all the time in the bay area they sell DVD's for $8 the same day they hit the theatres it insane.

I'd rather watch it on the big screen.

...and the sighting was confirmed through night vision goggles.
    Erm... you've got to be kidding me?
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

I'm sure that's common nowadays; the darkness cannot hide anything anymore.

A couple of theatres in our areas search everyone entering the facility for cams, etc.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Night vision goggles? In a theater?

LOL

Night vision goggles? A "decent" pair runs over $350.00 unless it's a monocular type. Even then those are at least $180.00.
    TradeViceroy

Its called a company investment, don't you think the movie theaters have enough money or interest to try to stop bootleggers....I would think so.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

I'd see it more as a problem for the film makers, but even then....

How many people are really going to want to pay for a recorded version that's handheld, jittery, with people walking around and so forth.

And how good could the sound quality be?

He could have got away easily by saying, "Your Honour, I was sleepy so I thought of taking it back home and watching later."

or maybe " Your honour, I really didnt like the movie but since I have paid for it I thought of taking the remaining part back home for my dog to see"

this would have been the best " Your honour I thought I saw a terrorist with night vision glasses so I was filming the movie as evidence to help the fbi nail the terrorist"

But then if he was so smart he wouldnt be there in the first place pirating movies. What he deserved he got. Order order......

Originally posted by Coach
    Erm... you've got to be kidding me?

They are also used to bust people getting it on during the movie
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    They are also used to bust people getting it on during the movie
    I know a few people who would pay to have that job.....

People, those things are serious. I was invited few times for an early preview of some movies, and the security was just like in the airport’s advanced screening stations. They have metal and other detectors that they scan each person with. They also check bags etc.

The screenings I goto every month.. are limp security wise, I could take a special camera there and record it.. but I don't feel like going to jail

If you are wondering about the quality... some can be good, otherrs can be horrible.. you can expect a "watchable" release on your TV about a week after it's in theatres over the internet.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

Meh, I'd say 95% of theater bootlegs that surface on the internet are recorded from the projection booth via telesync (where the camera is plugged into the system for ACC sound) from naughty movie employees (most are actually done outside the US and Canada). I didn't think these cam kiddies still did it from the seats. Hell, it's almost mission impossible sneaking a pop and some candy from the outside world into the theater, not to mention a camcorder... retard deserves 6 months.

Funny none the less. I wonder if he was wearing a sombrero with a red light coming out the middle, ha.

Why record it when someone else will?, lol

What is the guy wanted to watch it himself?????

What a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Why would anyone pay money for a cam recording of a screen?

Bad quality and bad screen! I know of real DVD quality copys-DVDs dat are sold on the streets for €5,-.

This is because by the time movies go onto DVD in the US, they are still in the theater in Europe. So it pays to do this.

This will have no future, because alot of movies are coming out on theater and DVD at the same time in US and Europe this year.

I say keep up the fight and record away!

I hope this man learns his lesson and is more sneaky when/if he does it again.

I can easy sneak in candy and pop in my movie theater where I live. I never got caught and I do it every time I go to a movie....

Originally posted by interneat
    Meh, I'd say 95% of theater bootlegs that surface on the internet are recorded from the projection booth via telesync (where the camera is plugged into the system for ACC sound) from naughty movie employees (most are actually done outside the US and Canada). I didn't think these cam kiddies still did it from the seats. Hell, it's almost mission impossible sneaking a pop and some candy from the outside world into the theater, not to mention a camcorder... retard deserves 6 months.

Funny none the less. I wonder if he was wearing a sombrero with a red light coming out the middle, ha.
    I am back....

42 days for piracy, simply doesn't seem harsh enough.

They make a huge deal about it, in all their statements, etc and then their 'public example' is a 42 day sentance...

I, for one, support this type of clamp-down. It will eventually ruin the movie industry, if it carries on. More and more people are on broadband connections, and soon downloading a movie will take most people 10-15 minutes.

Bravo for sentancing him, but it's a shame the sentance isn't 6+ months.

Side note: did anyone find the opening to the oscars,. with billy crystal, absolutely hysterical, with the piracy skit?

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I'm with you IHSL - that punishment doesn't seem like anything to me....never been to prisions though, maybe that's plenty
    Keep your customers in the know with www.KnownOutage.com - free alerting software that you host. Did I mention that it's free?

In some theathers they provide an external source (Headphones jack) so the sound is usually perfect, the picture is very stable because most people use tripods. You'll find that the people recording them are usually the guys who work up in the projector towers then anyone else, it's rather hard to get away with it any other way.

42 Days is a LOT. Drunk drivers KILL people and they get a night in prison. This is about money....42 days is a LOT!

By the way, check out http://www.vcdquality.com for information on the latest camed video's and such....it's quite interesting how good the quality is.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    42 Days is a LOT. Drunk drivers KILL people and they get a night in prison. This is about money....42 days is a LOT!

By the way, check out http://www.vcdquality.com for information on the latest camed video's and such....it's quite interesting how good the quality is.
    I'm sorry, but could you possibly point me to a case of a drunk driver killing someone, and only getting one night in jail?

I've never heard of manslaughter charges or wreckless endangerment for that matter, only resulting in a 24 hour lockup.

And no, it is not about money, it is about theft. The two are very different.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Movie piracy is a thousand or million dollar industry in Asia. Pirates would record it in US theaters, then they probably sell it to Asian buyers.

I'm an Asian, by the way.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Originally posted by auctionSuite
    I know a few people who would pay to have that job.....

lol.....

Originally posted by IHSL
    I'm sorry, but could you possibly point me to a case of a drunk driver killing someone, and only getting one night in jail?

I've never heard of manslaughter charges or wreckless endangerment for that matter, only resulting in a 24 hour lockup.

And no, it is not about money, it is about theft. The two are very different.

Simon

But in perspective 42 days is a lot. I know someone who got a DUI, ran over someone's mailbox and hit another vehicle. He spent ONE night in jail and he was out there endangering the lives of dozens of people. Piracy is bad, but is money more important than safety?

I agree!

Originally posted by WebDev
    Piracy is bad, but is money more important than safety?
    Just ask the world's auto makers....

Typically, if the cost of doing a recall is likely to be more than any potential lawsuit payouts, the recall won't be made.

They will never stop piracy no matter how hard they try...

As cameras keep getting smaller and smaller it's going to be harder and harder to catch.