Need advice from manged.com users.

I quite fancy having a dedicated server and the prices at managed.com seem very good especially for us in the UK!.

I have never administerd a nix box and only have basic unix knowledge, I've installed, played around with freebsd before and know some basic commands.
    I dont want anything running on the box I just want to ssh into it and play around.

I was wondering how easy is it to make it fairly secure when you first get it. What was the first things you done when you got yours ?

I take it I will need to install some kind of firewall and maybe close some ports, anything else I would need to do ?
    What software would you reccomend to use?

What flavour of nix would you reckon is easiest to admin/secure from the ones offerd ?

Just need some basic steps to go through, I might even try it on a spare box at home first before I pay for one.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I use managed.com server. If you asked me, I would say go for it.

To protect your server try install IPtable.

Which O/S you know best, that is the best for you. The more you know about the O/S the easier its going to be for you to manage it.

Of course if you are new and want to learn a new O/S than choose one that most people use like RH9. If you have problem it would be easy for you to find help on-line.

You don't have to be a linux guru to start offering services from a Linux box. I can't elaborate how I setup my server, as my usage might not be suitable for you.

You have to know what you intend to use the server for?

I would be very careful about using managed.com. The other day I sent in a ticket to say that I wanted to have a server cancelled at the end of the next billing cycle. They canceled it staight away.

We have several servers with them, mostly for backup. But they provide no technical support whatsoever. So it you don't really know what you are doing and you mess something up, then you are going to have major problems. (Especially easy to mess things up when installing a firewall).

Whatever you do, do not use managed.com for anything that is important.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

Well i dont care if I screw it up, I take it they will reinstall the os if asked ? Its not going to have anything important on it, its just really for learing, I might want ftp, then at somepoint get apache up and running.

I am not sure if they charge for OS reloads, most providers do though.
    Web Hosting

I have a peaceful experience with managed.com. If you need support get them during operation hour. Other time you have to wait. But they reboot server 24/7. My longest wait for a reboot is 30mins.

I think if you mess up the server don't expect (not just managed.com) any server provider to help you out. Who know how you mess it up.

But you can request for O/S restore from managed.com free for the first time.

If you know your stuff, you can use anyone as long as the provider has reliable network.

If it's just for learning, then build a box at home, if you want it on the Internet, then build an IPCop box with a DMZ and play with it on the DMZ.

No point in paying for a box in a DC just to learn.

If you can admin your box, then Managed is a good option and reasonably priced.

http://hostinglife.com

start here you will find some of the things you are looking for
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by crucialparad
    Whatever you do, do not use managed.com for anything that is important. [/B]
    I dont agree with that, yes may be it might not be a good choice for mission critical task, but they are good and for the first time in a couple of months, my sites have been up without any down time after being on managed servers.

Yes if you do manage to screw up things on the server, they might not be helpfull as any other provider, but as you said you are not putting anything cirtical you can always ask for a O/S re-install.

Lighthead I guess you should be able to learn stuff quickly, there is a ton of help there on the net and the forms try google..... its also a good idea to not have a control panel if you want to really learn how things are working, can be difficult without a control panel but thats the fun part

If someone can cancel your server if they know your IP address, then you cannot use it for anything important.
    Web Hosting