1. #1 hosting help

This is my first time here, so sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I just signed up for web hosting at canaca, but I donít know what to do. I mean, to upload the page. Iím in the admin section, in the file manager section, so what do I do? I have codes from, so how do I up load them?
      0 Not allowed!

More details....

What panel do they use? do you have a FTP client and know how to use it? Have you installed phpBB before?

Does your webhost not provide support?
      0 Not allowed!

What do you mean by panel?

I donít know what FTP client is, so I donít know how to use it.

Iíve never installed phpbb before. Iím a wet little newbee here. As long as I can up load it then I can play around but thatís stopping me, the uploading.
      0 Not allowed!

Vancouver, BC
    It sounds like you are in cPanel and using the site manager. If you have a forum to upload I suggest you get an FTP program like and connect via the IP if your domain hasn't propagated yet.
    Gary Jones - Canada Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Well I wouldn't recommend you install php manually then (although this is the preferred way) it seems you might have a bit of trouble.

Hopefully your host provides the Fantastico package, you'll be able to install phpBB in a few clicks via that (even if it will be outdated).

I'll make the assumption your host uses CPanel, simply go to and login with the details given to your by your host then click on the fantastico icon.

If none of this appears to work create at ticket/ring/email your host - you're paying them for a service I'm sure they'd be happy to guide you through this!

NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

We had this same type of situation with a client not too long ago. He was installing phpbb also.

You seem new to this, so I'm going to explain this in detail. I'm assuming you have FTP access because every paid account should.

What you need to do, is download an FTP program (assuming you don't have one already). You can download a free trial of Leap FTP from Open up this program and find the box that says "Hostname" or "Address". Type in the domain of your host ie. Find the "Username" and "Password" fields to the right of that and type in your username/pass (should have been provided to you upon signup).

If you connect, browse to the "public_html" folder. This is where you want to add your files. Simply click and drag to upload to the server. After this, you want to point your browser to the directory where you installed ( Now, login to your control panel and create a database. You will also need to ceate a user for this database. Name the database whatever you want and be sure to add the user to the database by clicking "Add use to database". Now go back to your forums page (there should be a setup page) and type in your information and the name of your database along with the username and pass (DB Name: accountusername_dbname Username: accountname_username)

Follow the rest of the instructions on that page to complete the install. If you need more help, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Hope that helps with your forums
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
      0 Not allowed!

Well evan, you are right in that Iím new, Iím so new thereís no word that describes how new I am. Iíll give that a shot now, or atleast email canaca for help. Iím on my schoolís computer so I canít download anything, but Iíll down load that program when I can, with luck. I was hoping for someone who used canaca and was familiar with it.

Thanks for the help. Now to see if I understood it . . .
      0 Not allowed!

EU - east side
    PhpBB is listed as a feature only in some of their plans.

If you signed up for one of those then contact your host and ask for help to install it. If not, I guess you have to install it yourself.

Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

don't mind this, I just need five posts to post a url
      0 Not allowed!

don't mind this one
      0 Not allowed!

don't mind the top two, I needed to make five posts before I can state a url, which is in here

Ok, here's the email that canaca sent me the other day, and it did not help me in the least bit. I'm copying the whole thing, except, of course, for the listed user names, ip address, and password.

Your web hosting account at Canaca-Com is ready

Thank you for choosing Canaca-Com for your Internet presence.

We suggest you take time to read this email carefully. It contains valuable information regarding your new hosting account and how to use some important features. Your account is setup and you can access it using the following information:

Domain Name:
    IP Address: --.--.---.--
    Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:
    FTP Host Name: or --.--.---.--
    Web Site Upload Directory (Folder) : mainwebsite_html

Main User Login Name: ------
    Main User Login Password: -----------------------------------
    Main Email Address: [email protected]

To upload the site fast and easy by FTP:
    --------@--.--.---.--/mainwebsite_html" target="_LMbrowse" onclick="parent.openLMbrowse()">ftp://----:--------@--.--.---.--/mainwebsite_html
    [email protected]/mainwebsite_html" target="_LMbrowse" onclick="parent.openLMbrowse()">ftp://nnff:[email protected]/mainwebsite_html

To access your account administration area use the following login page: or

Each user can access web mail. This is the login page: or

Each user can manage their own account. This is the login page: or

Additional Information:
    You can begin uploading your web site. You can upload your files using an FTP program or other site management software. Please use the main user login information listed above to connect to your account.

Please note that if your domain name is a new registration it may take up to 3 days for the DNS information to propagate the Internet. During this period please use your IP address, instead of your domain name, to access or connect to your site.
    If you opened a web hosting account for a domain name that is already registered, you need to modify the DNS (Domain Name Servers) information on your domain registration. If you don't know how to change DNS information for your domain you need to contact your registrar.

Canaca's DNS servers are:
    Primary: (--.--.--.---)
    Secondary: (--.---.--.---)

About Our Email Services:
    You can use an email client such as Outlook Express or Eudora in addition to web mail. Your email client should be setup as follow:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: (or your ISP's SMTP server)
    User Name or Account Name: Full email address ([email protected])
    Password: The password you created for the email account. For your main account, use the main user login password.

You will need to check email before sending email. This is to avoid non-clients from using our mail servers for spam (unsolicited email), which we forbid. You have 30 minutes from the last time you check mail to send mail (Please note this restriction does not apply to web mail.)

Contacting Canaca-Com Inc.:
    Support requests should be sent via email to: [email protected]
    You can also use our web site to send a support request:

You can reach our office at 1-800-327-9181 (North America) or 905-275-0723 (Local)

Department Hours:
    Email Support: [email protected] 24/7
    Phone Support 1-800-327-9181
    Sales 1-800-327-9181 9:00 am - 5:00 pm ET (Monday-Friday)
    Accounting 1-888-679-1113 9:00 am - 5:00 pm ET (Monday-Friday)
    New Orders 1-800-327-9181

Once again, thank you for choosing Canaca-Com for your Internet presence.

ok, I get that I need to hit the link
    --------@--.--.---.--/mainwebsite_html" target="_LMbrowse" onclick="parent.openLMbrowse()">ftp://----:--------@--.--.---.--/mainwebsite_html, but there's a problem. there are a dew spaces in is, so I don't know how the link should really be. When I click it as is, I get nothing, and when I take out the spaces, still nothing. (The "-'s" I put in since they do cover my password and ip address, incase you try to click the link.)

Any idea how the link should look like? or a simple explanation to the email?
      0 Not allowed!