What are Hard Boot and Soft Boot of Server?

Hi,

This is surely a very stupid questions. However, I need to clarify what is "Soft" boot and what is "Hard" boot of server?

Thanks
    seekhosting
    My friends, it's nice to know that you are there when I need you.

I may have the clarification totally wrong way round but:

SoftBoot: This is where you reboot the computer/server your self through software, for eample: # shutdown -r now

HardBoot: This is where the system cannot be shutdown through software, for example it has crashed, so you have to reboot it manually through the power button

hope this clears some things up for you

Regards

DislexiK
    "You don’t learn to hack, you hack to learn"

I think a "shutdown" would shutdown your server. To soft reboot your server use the following.

# /sbin/reboot

There is also such a thing as a "graceful" reboot. :-)

Originally posted by mcraft
    I think a "shutdown" would shutdown your server. To soft reboot your server use the following.
    The '-r' flag specifies a reboot at the end of the shutdown sequence, so his example is correct, if not quite as intuitive.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Originally posted by mcraft

# /sbin/reboot

shutdown -r now

will indeed reboot your box
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by Imago
    There is also such a thing as a "graceful" reboot. :-)
    my guess is that Hard Boot is to reboot by hardware (like pressing the reset button)

Soft Boot is of 2 types:
    - graceful: send a signal to all services to shutdown, all programs with opened files, etc. wait them and then reboot
    - forceful: just reboot

then do we need datacenter to reboot for us anymore?

yes you need your dc to reboot the server for you if you don't have reboot port.

you can't login to your control panel or ssh to execute "reboot" command if your server is down.
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Basically for a remote server, a soft reboot is one which you can do it remotely via software or OS.

A hard reboot would be one which requires them to physically go to your machine and hit the reset button. Or if you have a remote reboot switch, you could do that too.

Basically, a hard reboot would create a small short circuit on the motherboard which causes it to restart itself. A soft reboot is done graciously via software or even by using the Ctrl-Alt-Del buttons.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

This thread begs the question:

Do you like your reboots soft, hard or graceful?

its like
    "hard reset" (pressing your server's reset button) or "soft reset" (pressing CTRL-Alt-del on your server's keyboard