Hosting business Checklist

I am hoping to start a hosting company by purchasing a reseller account and selling on the space. I am currently doing some research and I would appreciate it if some of you could provide a checklist as to what is required before you start a hosting business.

An example would be:
    • A Reseller account
    • Billing system (e.g. Modernbill)
    • etc.

You get the idea right. This could be a very good resource for me and other entrepeneurs looking to start their own hosting company so lets get those ideas flowing.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Leweq22

I'd add:

Start-Up Capital
    Viable business plan & model
    Customer Service & Communication Skills

Those are three things most new hosts seem to be missing.

Originally posted by Asci
    I'd add:

Start-Up Capital
    Viable business plan & model
    Customer Service & Communication Skills

Those are three things most new hosts seem to be missing.
    Not everyone is looking to START big. Alot of succesful hosts start small and then start gaining customers and grow big LATER. I feel that's a safe way to get into the business, baby steps you could call it

Originally posted by TrueBorko
    Not everyone is looking to START big. Alot of succesful hosts start small and then start gaining customers and grow big LATER. I feel that's a safe way to get into the business, baby steps you could call it
    I never said you had to start with millions but you do need to have some money to get started. I'm not talking about the $35 to start your reseller account with. You need a 'rainy day' fund for when your provider disappears or you have some other unexpected financial crisis.

I started off with a reseller account too. However, even a small host needs viable business plan. You can't simply say "gee, I think I'll charge <insert arbitrary price> for an account with <insert arbitrary account specs>" if you plan to survive. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Far too many people just jump into the hosting game without doing any research and without actually analyzing what it takes to have a sustainable business.

Finally, if you're going to get anywhere in any industry you absolutely must have an ability to provide superb customer service. I have clients who have been offered deals where they could cut their monthly expenses in half yet they choose to stay with us for the service level we offer. Just the same, without the ability to calmly communicate with your clients in the middle of a crisis your business will disappear.

asci, I agree with you if you fail to plan , you plan to fail.

On top of the 3 main points, you must also have a clear mind and equip with enough technical knowledge to handle emergency.
    You can't start and say "oh! I quit" so you must make sure you know your way.

Time management. It does not mean you spend 24hours a day on the net will make you a good host. You have to make sure every second you spend counts. Let alone leave time for a break.

How about networking? Not just to clients but to business associates. You get more great deals from them at times.

Just my opinions

checkout www.thewhir.com 's reseller part, they have some great articles to help you get started. There are many resellers out there but ive heard these days www.autica.com and thrillhost.com are picking up (both are from midphase) then there is www.hostgator.com as well. Choose which one suits your budget. When ever you buy hostingmake sure you buy it for a year or so because you wouldnt want to have billing problems or paying problems with your hosting account.

Billing systems can be www.clientexec.com

just read these forums alot it will help you get started. have a nice design as well and budget your expenses for advertising and support costs. thanks for reading!