that suits my budget to host it.. so this hosting provider emailed
    me the instructions with name servers, told me to change the
    name servers in my 1and1.com control panel to theirs.. which
    i did. yet it didn't work - I called 1and1.com and they said they
    require "static IPs" for name servers, in other words, nslookup
    of ns1.nameserver.com should resolve to IP 1.2.3.4 and then
    nslookup of 1.2.3.4 should come back as ns1.nameserver.com

sure enough, the name servers i was given only worked 1-way
    (from domain name to IP address). i tried anotehr hosting provider, same problem.

does anyone know about this? what can i do to solve this? or
    do the cheap hosts (<$5 a month) all have this problem?

thanks!

Hello..

Name server nothing related to cheap host or whatsoever but the important thing here, you must change name server at your domain (1and1.com) registrar according to name server as given by your hosting provider..

Thanks...
    MyLabuan Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

Hi abelida
    Sounds like it has something to do with reverse DNS lookup, could you provide some of the nameservers you have tried so we can test them to see what might be causing your problem.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

i have tried two providers already:

1. NAME1.EDGODS.COM (this one was what got me to call 1and1.com and they told me of the reverse dns issues)

2. dns.e-rice.net (signed up today, just updated 1and1.com's name servers, but then when i ran nslookup of the IP 207.44.143.23 it also came back as unresolved.. so this got
    me worried)

thanks!

Ok the namesevers you provided check out ok, although neither of them have Reverse DNS (PTR) however there are plenty of nameservers that don't and work fine at other registrars.

I would advise you to contact 1and1 again and ask them exactly (in plain english) what the problem is with the nameservers you have provided so you can resolve the issue ASAP.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

We have changed our nameservers now, but there hasn't been any problems even though we don't have Reverse DNS (PTR) enabled for our nameservers.

1) The name server that is supposed to be used has to have a glue record

2) The name server has to "know" itself, so "dig @ns.yourdomain.com ns.yourdomain.com" has to return the A record for ns.yourdomain.com.

Not all registrars check the validity of DNS records, however, 1&1 does...