Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

Currently we are on a Host Gator reseller plan for: $99 mo.

If I transfer to a dedicated server with the following specs will I sense a change in my speed or performance?

Currently on:

Vendor: GenuineIntel
    1 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
    speed: 2400.118 MHz
    cache size: 512 KB
    Memory Information
    Memory: 2068684k/2097088k available 160k init, 1179584k highmem)
    Physical Drives
    hdc: CDU5211, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

memory used thus far on this server:
    Current Memory Usage
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2069072 1996660 72412 0 340920 1027968
    -/+ buffers/cache: 627772 1441300
    Swap: 0 0 0
    Total: 2069072 1996660 72412

Current Disk Usage
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 2.0G 301M 1.6G 17% /
    /dev/sda6 169G 20G 142G 12% /home
    none 1011M 0 1011M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda5 981M 19M 912M 3% /tmp
    /dev/sda2 7.7G 1.7G 5.7G 23% /usr
    /dev/sda3 3.9G 2.0G 1.8G 53% /var

Option A:

- 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
    - 80 GB Drive
    - 512 MB Ram
    - 1200 GB Bandwidth
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat, FreeBSD, Windows

OR***********

Option B:

- 2.8 GHz Pentium 4
    - 80 GB Drive
    - 1024 MB Ram
    - 1200 GB Bandwidth
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat, FreeBSD, Windows

**How important is purchasing a hardware firewall by the way?

What do you suggest? I currently host 13 sites and will be adding more as I expand my business.

Hello,
    Option B will be a good start for you. As for firewall, by using a hardware firewall, you can save more server resources. Anyways, it does not matter much as most of us here use software firewall and they are doing great. Do check out APF Firewall if you are looking for a free software firewall for Linux.

Thank you and all the best!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

It is not an easy question to answer. Basically, right now the server your reseller account is on is hardly utilized so a shift to a new server (unshared) probably would give you close to what you are experiencing now (assuming that the CPU usage for the server is constant throughout the day). Like I say, it is hard to say since it is just a snapshot for a moment in time.

Technically speaking, there should be an improvement since you are not sharing resources with other sites.

As for firewall, it is important if you are concern about security breach issues. If your sites are not extremely active then a software option should do the trick for now.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

The Host Gate server is better, but they probably have many accounts on it which slows it down. 13 sites, if they aren't huge, will run nicely on the other servers.
    Are you a webhost?
    Want more customers?
    Add your plans at Webhost-kb.com

Hi,
    Also, make sure you know how to manage the server. The default Servermatrix's managed service is not helpful for a person who does not know how to manage a server.

Thank you.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Originally posted by KKHost.Net
    Hi,
    Also, make sure you know how to manage the server. The default Servermatrix's managed service is not helpful for a person who does not know how to manage a server.

Thank you.
    Oh, I just can't resist

Quote from the http://servermatrix.com second paragraph.

ServerMatrix is the first in the industry to announce fully managed entry level servers at NO extra cost!

I think there should be a class action involving anyone who has ever had a problem with SM. I have yet to hear a good explanaton of why they claim "fully managed".

Hi PSFServers,
    Below is what their basic managed service covers:
    - Customer has root/admin access.
    - Ping Monitoring.
    - Network IDS.
    - Onsite Hands and Eyes.
    - O/S updates and patches.
    - Service Monitoring (FTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Terminal Services, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    - System Monitoring (Drive Space, Processor usage, Server Load, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    - Process Monitoring (ColdFusion.exe, PGP.exe, ApacheGuard.sh, snort, etc….) [up to 3 services]

If they really cover what we want, I believe big brothers out there (remote-admins) have to shut their doors

Thanks.

Originally posted by KKHost.Net
    Hi PSFServers,
    Below is what their basic managed service covers:
    - Customer has root/admin access.
    - Ping Monitoring.
    - Network IDS.
    - Onsite Hands and Eyes.
    - O/S updates and patches.
    - Service Monitoring (FTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Terminal Services, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    - System Monitoring (Drive Space, Processor usage, Server Load, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    - Process Monitoring (ColdFusion.exe, PGP.exe, ApacheGuard.sh, snort, etc….) [up to 3 services]

If they really cover what we want, I believe big brothers out there (remote-admins) have to shut their doors

Thanks.
    KK,

I know all of that, but that seems to be "fine print". If they make such a bold statement on the face of their webpage, don't you think there is something "shistey" about it?

Trust me, as a former customer I know what they A) promised and B) delivered. I think I was like everyone else, you are so damn happy that you got the cheapest box on the block that you press them on the issue.

I think the SM Service Agreement is written strongley enough that it may be difficult to bring a class action against them. However, it will be easy as pie to get a Judge to force them to remove this stupid claim that "all servers are fully managed at NO additional cost".

The courts have been known to disregard written verbage in contractual agreements in cases of gross neglance and disregard for consumer benefit.

If you want fully managed I'll recomend Servint, but the're little bit expensive.
    I've heard some bad review about Server Matrix's support, try to do search on this forum.

Originally posted by l0ck_up
    If you want fully managed I'll recomend Servint, but the're little bit expensive.
    I've heard some bad review about Server Matrix's support, try to do search on this forum.
    See, another kind soul that understands the definition of "fully managed"!

The terminology used, can be, as it's a matter of opinion, rather than factual offering. If what they're claiming they offer, they do, and have decided to name that fully managed, then they're not at fault. Each provider has their own definition of service, and since there's no regulations on phrasing in the industry, nothing is going to come out of it. It's just as a car company offering their version of a "luxury vehicle". We all know Hyundai's luxury vehicle, is not going to come close to Mercedes luxury class. Each person needs to seek information prior to ordering, review the safety nets set in place (SLA's, etc.) for when the fit hit the shan, and be prepared for it. I've even seen some of the most noted managed providers, upon review of their actual offerings, found it to be nothing more than providers that offer servers at 1/2 the price, but branded recognition goes a long way IMHO.

Thanks,
    Matthew McCormick
    Director of Customer Care
    www.caro.net
    mmccormick@carohosting.com

servers

Thank you for the insightful information, it goes without saying this forum is an invaluable resource for beginners, to which I am proud to be a member.

My level of experience is moderate on the server side. Experience with computers goes way back to the KayPro days for anyone who remembers what those are (c 1982)...Still have that hunky laptop in storage (grin)..I'm getting side tracked....

As far as my office computers are concerned I do most of the repairs myself (software and hardware). If I run my server the same way I run the reseller system with about 25 sites max, with 1 eccomerce site how much trouble am I looking at vs reseller?

As it stands the price is not my main concern since I'm paying somewhere over $150 total just for reseller right now and shared.

My largest concern is that I get the ecommerce and all the other sites enabled, Host G puts more people on my server, my server slows down and I'm stuck moving 25 sites! Now that would be a royal pain...

Keep the ideas coming

For most parts, managing the sites itself on a dedicated server should not be as much pain as it is with a dedicated server. The only thing is that you are not sharing. The other thing is that now you would be left to your own devices to administer the machine. If you are not so familiar with Linux aspets of security and optimization, you could hire someone to manage the machine for you and you go on doing what you have been doing. It should be fine.

If the websites that you have are generally static in nature then the transition would be smooth. The ecommerce site would probably have database access and that could be a hassle during the stage of transfer. During the propagation time, some visitors may get pointed to the new server while others to the old. You could schedule the move during an off-peak period, lower the TTL or on the old machine point the DB IP to that of the new server.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Monie8 lol i still have my vic-20 and comodor 32

any how try this http://hostinglife.com

it is a good start, wish you luck
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers