Thread: My First Spam

Angry My First Spam

Several days ago a registered a new domain name and immediately protected it with the registrar's means to hide my personal info. I haven't used it yet publicly -- only the registrar, the hosting company to which I pointed it, and several people involved in the project the domain was registred for -- knew about it at all.

But as of yesterday I am receiveing occasional spam messages to sales @ my new domain name.

How could the spammers get my domain name? Is thers somewhere a way to collect newly registered domain names? Should I suspect the registrar or my hosting company?

Hello...

I don't think registrar or hosting company will spam he's own client..

But for your info...now days spammers become more smart and bit tricky...

Thanks...
    MyLabuan Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

I swear I am seeing this more and more with newly registered domains. There has to be some way these guys are getting the info. maybe the name registrars are selling the info....hehehe..I doubt it....but it does drive me nuts.

Fighting spam seems to be one of those ongoing uphill battles.

I heard a while back that Microsft, AOL, and Yahoo were getting together to find some way to prevent spam....wounder what ever happened to that...? They would probably find a way to make money off it somehow....or require all mail to go through their servers first...so they can go through our mail....new way for government to watch us? Hmmm...

On a lighter note, I read an article that claimed close to 48% of internet traffic (not e-mail, but actual traffic) was spam. Imagine if we didn't have all that spam the better quality connections we would all get. I know it would help servers to run with less load having to deal with it all!

Damion

Maybe you can ask for suggestions when aplus.net calls you

maybe they have a bot that scans all domains and sends emails to the more common address, such as [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

just a guess

It's possible that it's a formerly registered domain wich was getting spam before.
    WebsiteForum.com | Now Live ! DnsCheck.com | Coming Soon !

Originally posted by ericnmu
    maybe they have a bot that scans all domains and sends emails to the more common address, such as [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

just a guess
    This happens to me a lot, random user names at one of my domains that gets dumped into the catch-all account.
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

It's mostly random, they usually use a word randomizer and send the mails. As I found out, 80% of the sent mails are never delivered...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Originally posted by lorandm
    It's mostly random, they usually use a word randomizer and send the mails. As I found out, 80% of the sent mails are never delivered...
    doesnt surprise me. what a good waste of bandwidth

Yep, thats how it happens

I have always assumed (and we know all about that!) there are means available to those who care about such things to obtain lists of newly registered domains. And then, as has been mentioned, the spam is sent to common names; sales@, info@, support@, etc.

Accordingly, I am now using accounts like salesTeam@, supportTeam@, etc. And flushing (appropriately) my catch-all to :blackhole:
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

I still use the regular names, I just never open emails that don't show a real name in the From field.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

There are also a lot of places where you can find lists of newly registered domains. A free example is deleteddomains http://deleteddomains.com/ (click on "New Registrations"). There you are able to find close to 3 million domain names registered in the last 60 days. Maybe spammers are using that kind of services (I get also lots of spam at info@... addresses).

Well, take a look here: http://www.deleteddomains.com

They have a Today's Registrations section... So, there is a way to find out newly registered domains.

Edit: Soze beat me to it. LOL

AdWatcher, this is what I was eluding to earlier in my post where I said I am using supportTeam@, salesTeam@, etc...

In conjunction with that, in cPanel (other CPs may have something similar, I don't know) I configure my main account email address to route all undeliverable mail to :blackhole: which in essence pitches it without even sending a response back the sender.

Yes, this has cut my spam quite a bit. I used to receive a lot of "specualtive spam" (info@, sales@, support@ ceo@, president@, etc. ). But now these all just get flushed without my ever seeing them...
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

This is caused because it isn't really protected. Your best bet is just to get some Spam protector.

mkc
    Maybe you can ask for suggestions when aplus.net calls you
    Thats just way too ironic, I should setup some sort of screening process where these random guys get automatically diverted to www.spam.org

~TAB

Originally posted by ericnmu

just a guess
    exactly happens all the time, people download the zone files everyday and see the new domains and start emailing sales@ support@ info@ etc..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi