Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPSColo vs Dinix vs PowerVPS

I've been working all weekend evaluating VPS offers.
    Have to move my domain (currently on a shared hosting) which seems to use high cpu resources for a shared enviroenment.

I Have no forums, but a links directory with perl cgi for banner rotation, links hit counting script and db txt search cgi. Very few and small images, but a lot of hits... 14 Gb traffic per month.
    (i'm too popular )

From my reseach, looks like VPSColo , DINIX and PowerVPS are those closer to my budget. 30-40 USD month.
    Linode and Webair and some others did not catched my interest at first impact, servint too expensive.

According to plans I've choosen I collected these info:

Technology:
    Dinix and PowerVPS use Vituozzo while VPSColo UML.

VPS per server:
    Dinix: 30
    PowerVPS: 20
    VPSColo: 16

RAM guarant.
    All 3 offer 128 Mb

CPU guarant. Mhz:
    PoweVPS: 256
    VPSColo: 150
    Dinix: 128

Bandwidth Gb:
    Dinix: 75
    VPSColo: 50
    Dinix: 50

IP
    VPSColo: 10
    Dinix: 2
    PoweVPS: 2

Disk Gb
    Dinix: 6
    VPS Colo: 4
    PoweVPS: 3

Personal considerations:
    Since i'm still mostly ignorant of virtualization, from what I've learned reading posts, Virtuozzo allow a better separation of resources, but it costs. That was the impression I've got. (maybe i'm wrong). So Dinix and PowerVPS up.

About Dinix i've read of some users, claiming on memory and speed. Maybe 30 VPS per Server loads too much ? and how can guarantee 128 Mb ram x VPS on Xeon 2x2.4 ?

About VPSColo, I've read good reviews, but I've learned they are 5 months old. So maybe still too young, and still generous resources on their unloaded VPS ?

PowerVPS: they allow 20 VPS per server, and have max ram of 2 Gb, but their 29.95 offer is really aggressive. They Guarantee also 256 Mhz. But they do not seems to be so popular.

Btw: those 3 companies appeared as the most interesting for me.

I still have many doubts and questions that will try to solve writing to them.

What's your opinion ?
    need some help...

Simon

I would check out DefenderHosting @

DefenderHosting

There plans are located there

For $40.00 a month you can get ALOT.

I'm currently with the Standard VPS plan And i love it. no problems what so ever.. maybe 1-2 downtimes for updates.

Disk Space - 5GB
    Dedicated Ram - 256MB
    Maximum Ram - 512MB
    CPU Resources - Equal Share
    IP Addresses - 4 IPs
    Bandwidth Transfer - 100GB
    Webbased Control Panel - Yes
    Root - Yes
    Semi-Managed (Kernel and firewall) - Yes
    7x24 Support - Yes
    Cpanel Unlimited Domains - $5/month

VPS Hardware Nodes powered by enterprise-class servers from SuperMicro

SuperMicro servers utilizing Intel Dual Xeon 2.8GHz processors
    U320 SCSI Hardware RAID 5 Caching Controller using an array of Maxtor Atlas IV 10K RPM HDD's allowing for hot-swap replacement of any failed drives, minimizing any downtime if a HDD fails!
    8 GB RAM
    Redundant power connections
    Equinix Carrier Class neutral data center - host where the top web sites on the Internet host - Google, Microsoft, EA, Yahoo, etc.
    Dual Network connections
    7Gb/s of Network Connectivity to our transit providers on a network built for video-streaming and network gaming - the result is a network put together to deliver a low-latency with zero packet loss experience

Like i said i'm currently hosted with them and they are very good no problems at all

Sounds interesting.

But need to add 5 Usd per C-Panel

and nowhere is stated how many VPS per server they allow....

tnx

Simon

Yes the $5.00 is a small fee but its worth it

Email them and ask them.. it must not be alot because my VPS is working very good... i have no problems.. everything's fast

About Dinix i've read of some users, claiming on memory and speed. Maybe 30 VPS per Server loads too much ? and how can guarantee 128 Mb ram x VPS on Xeon 2x2.4 ?
    30/server is not too many per server. It is a matter of simple math, actually: Dinix does not in any way oversell their servers. There are only as many VPS's, as there are physical resources available on the physical box.

The Math:
    4 GB RAM on the physical box, divided by max. 30 VPS100 VPS's = 136.5 MB RAM per VPS

The Total Picture:
    So even on a server with the maximum VPS 100's possible, only 3840 MB of the physical RAM is allocated to VPSs. 256 MB remains as buffer + for Virtuozzo, which is more than ample

In the end it is a question of just how much you need in terms of resources, for your VPS. Dinix gives you extra disk space, the other companies appear to give you a bit more guaranteed minimum processing power (assuming that you are comparing equivalent plans of course).

Anyway just wanted to make it clear that the Dinix plans are not oversold. The only way there could be "too many" per server is if they were oversold. Every VPS always has its minimum resources available to it. HTH!!!!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

VPScolo is owned by jvds which has been around longer then 5 months. I vote vpscolo rus is a great guy and knows his stuff when it comes to vds
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

bithost,
    yes 30 is not too much, I've read of companies allowing more...
    but even if 30 is not much, 20 by PowerVPS and 16 by VPScolo is less.

About resources I need, I don't care much of disk space, (700 Mb are enought) but CPU and RAM avaible, since I will not use my VPS to resell but will dedicate mainly to my domain, that seems to be resource expensive.

Simon

VPSColo as stated is a branch of JVDS which has been around a long time. I have been with them for the last three months and have been very happy.

You may want to read closer and I am not sure if its true I assume so because this is right off the vpscolo site.
    (16 VPSs per CPU) so in a dual system as they have listed on their site thats 32 per server not 16.

Originally posted by simon70
    bithost,

About resources I need, I don't care much of disk space, (700 Mb are enought) but CPU and RAM avaible, since I will not use my VPS to resell but will dedicate mainly to my domain, that seems to be resource expensive.

Simon

Thanks Paul that was a correct observation.
    I'm investigating this important feature with vpscolo.

Simon

For CPU we generally state a max of 32 but real world is about 20 per host machine now with VPSColo and this gives good performance to everyone

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Nothing against the other vps providers you mentioned...
    You may want to give a second glance at servint.com
    They do have excellent support, network, and great hardware.
    Give them what your needs are and they will tell you honestly if it will work. The little extra $ I pay for servint.com is worth it to me.
    PM me if you need more info on servint.com

Originally posted by simon70
    bithost,
    Props to Paul's observation; I should also mention that, this is only assuming that all physical servers are the same. Each host has a unique physical server config. The physical server ("hostnode") at Dinix is different from vpscolo.com is different from PowerVPS, etc. Straight number comparisons of "we put this many VPS's on a server" is not comparing apples to apples.

FWIW, Dinix does not usually load their hostnodes all the way to 30 either. The maximum stated on the website is only a maximum. The VPS100 servers in particular are always in a state of flux as customers grow their sites and server needs, and upgrade to bigger VPS's... so there are usually 20-25 per hostnode (physical server), not the full 30.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

any comments on PowerVPS ?

Maybe they are too joung in the market ?

Originally posted by jvds
    For CPU we generally state a max of 32 but real world is about 20 per host machine now with VPSColo and this gives good performance to everyone

Rus
    I have to disagree Rus, it gives GREAT performance having been a customer of Dinix and vpscolo my vote goes with vpscolo, performance is consistant and support, if needed, is great
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Originally posted by dsotmoon
    I have to disagree Rus, it gives GREAT performance having been a customer of Dinix and vpscolo my vote goes with vpscolo, performance is consistant and support, if needed, is great
    I agree with dsotmoon, Customer service wise VPSColo and Dinix rocks.

In my personal experience of running both side by side I had less lag with VPSColo.

Network wise the nod goes to Dinix, but I have not had any real network problems with VPSColo, and Rus really stands behind everything and goes above and beyond the call of duty with VPSColo.

I also like the community forum at VPScolo with great people like Jhorra, Dsotmoon and many others. Very helpful group of users there and at JVDS.com.

you might also want to check out www.ServInt.com/vps

been with them for more than two years now and i also got a VPS with them since about half a year, and it has been running and running and running... i didn't notice any major downtime or slowness yet!
    Highly recommend!
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Same here... servint.com for their vps product. Great hardware, support, and network.
    Very happy with their product.
    Questions? You may IM me if needed.

Hi

I am with VPS Colo there are some months and happy with service.

Regards.
    Rusky

VPSCOLO would be the best choice...

I must say I fully support Dinix - I was a customer of theirs for months before I sold off my sites and no longer needed a VPS - awesome support and very eay to use all of their support, billing and all other features.

I curent have a VPS from dinix and looks to me very good
    Untill now I have not down time (last 2 Months ) and no proplem .
    The VPScolo looks good
    You can try sinse the have zero setup fee . If you dont like it you can change easly

Re: VPSColo vs Dinix vs PowerVPS

About Dinix i've read of some users, claiming on memory and speed. Maybe 30 VPS per Server loads too much ? and how can guarantee 128 Mb ram x VPS on Xeon 2x2.4 ?[/B]
    Dinix is the only VPS we've had, so I can't really compare them to the other places, but I will say that I've been entirely happy with them. Doing 'normal' stuff, we've had no problems whatsoever; our 'memory problems' consisted of us trying to run cPanel (as a DNS server, webserver, mailserver, DNS server...) and a 10+ person CounterStrike server all in a single VPS 100 with 128 MB RAM. It's completely insane to even try this -- it's nothing to do with Dinix, and everything to do with the fact that 128 MB RAM is nowhere near enough. (The combo actually worked out pretty well until lately, when our CS server started attracting more and more people and was really interfering with cPanel.)

Anyway, provided you're not doing anything totally lunatic like we tried, I think you'll be extremely pleased with Dinix. Even with the cheapest plan, our server *flies*, and it's on pure Internap bandwidth to boot, so we get extremely fast load times. Again, I can't offer comparisons with other places, but I will say that, short of things we've caused ourselves, we've had no problems at all with Dinix and that I've been extremely pleased.

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    VPScolo is owned by jvds which has been around longer then 5 months. I vote vpscolo rus is a great guy and knows his stuff when it comes to vds
    I second that, have two VPS's with them atm.
    Michael

Because of all of the fabulous reviews for VPScolo, I decided to sign up last night. Paid the setup fee and all that good stuff. Now just waiting to get started. I can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast