anybody agree that paypal has to be easiest entry level option?

Putting the entire e-comm solution together, would anybody agree that the absolute simplest and most basic first step for anybody wanting a graduated approach to selling online would be paypal?

Eg. their are no fees,
    It is easy to install
    and you don't have to go through the hastle of credit checks or bank references etc.etc. before you can accept paypal payments.

Even though I could use worldpay or my business bank the cost is incredibly high, and the wierd thing is that paypal is actually *cheaper* much much cheaper than my own high street UK national bank. MUCH cheaper..

That is so bizaare. I think my bank would charge something like 4% plus about $40 per month minimum just for the priviledge of accepting credit cards. Of course you are allowed to take payment by phone or face to face from some client.

But apart from that for just online business I don't see how you can fault paypal?

Any comments?

Paypal is good for some - bad for others. It all depends on your customer base.

You can read the horror stories & the other stories on here. I have people that send me money from time to time because of the help I give them. I usually spend that on Paypal shops. That way Paypal does not have a way into my banking account or anything like that.

I usually recommend setting up Paypal with a merchant account. Interestingly enough, we just set one up the other day & Pyapl seemed perfect for their type of consumer. They already had one merchant account & needed another one. But they told me that some of the U.S. government agencies that they deal with will not do business with any company that also uses Paypal.

Paypal is quick & easy. It has to be for people to use them. But there are no checks on their merchants. Under-age people use them. People who could not ever get a merchant account due to their credit history. And consumers know this - and is one reason why they choose not to do business with Paypal.

And fortunately for US based businesses - your consumers no longer even have to be registered with Paypal to purchase items.

Hi Corey,

I notice you say that for us businesses their clients don't have to sign up any more to pay for things, is that the same for UK businesses such as me do you know?

In fact I'm actually wanting to use it on my own site.

Rgds

I do not think it has been implemented for the UK yet. I think that is going to be the next country though:
    http://paypal.typepad.com/pdn/2004/0...p_not_req.html

Paypal is VERY easy for start-up companies to use.

But I found that as Lucid Hosting grew, and the name go out there, we starting receiving a horrendous amount of paypal orders from *verified* members that turned out to be fakes. We had a few issues with Paypal/scams with fraudulent orders. Besides the fraudulent orders, Paypal is a nice method of receiving money online.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

My vote would have to be iKobo, the bank I use could not function with Paypal. The Visa card that iKobo issues works perfect for me.
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

I am really interested in this area. Because it seems to me that the world is becomming a two tier system.

The digital haves and the digital have nots.

What I mean to say is that so many things are dependant upon you being able to be digitally verified, and for that you need to have a credit card, business bank account, and in some cases, you get checked to see if you have nice lending record/mortgage and many other levels of criteria.

This may seem off topic, but its not when you stop to consider how even a person could get a pay pal account without a credit card. I believe that is a fundamental requirement.

If you are in the UK or US and have low status because maybe you were made redundant/lost your job or you got into debt or something, you could find you are having a problem.

I notice there are alot of problem with money transfers for people living in countries such as india and other countries.

Corey: I have been reading up on the paypal docs I notice that htey are expanding operations in European and now have a European company in the UK itself with a uk telephone system and a Dublin headquarters.

Looks good to me, I read last night that in fact customers do not have to sign up for the pay pal account as previously required which makes it alot more convenient.

paypal is one of the easiest & most convenient payment systems in the industry as of now. There are others like e-gold, but they use the gold market & trade raw gold instead of money...

as far as frauds go, i have heard numerous amounts of complaints & frozen accounts

i would post the url for the site that displays some of these testimonials(including a previous staff) but i'm under post