Wireless Network Question

Ok, I just finished changing all of the laptops here at the office into wireless ones, with PCMCIA cards and I have a Linksys 802.11B router and compatible wireless cards.

Everything works great, all the machines have net access, DHCP works fine, etc.

The problem is, we are only getting less than 200KB download per machine now that we're on wireless...

We use Adelphia cable as our ISP in the office and have a big pipe which usually averaged about 500KB/sec per machine since the change we can only get below 200kb which isnt suitable for our needs.

My question, what is the problem?

Depending on location, some of the laptops have weaker signal strength than others, but even the ones with full and excellent signals are still affected.

Here is a screenshot of one of the pages of the wireless config:

www.**********.com/wap.JPG

Do you see anything wrong in the config there?

Whats could the problem be?

Heres a screenshot of the routing table:

www.**********.com/route.JPG
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.

If only one laptop is connected and the others are not what download speed do you get?
    Steve

I use different routers, they are made by Belkin, so I could not help you with your settings directly. Perhaps you could select a higher value for the basic and TX rates

Now, it seems that regardless of the declared speeds they drop by half (or something like that) when you go wireless. Additionally I have noticed that similar devices in vicinity, like cell phones and all the different objects in the room have an effect on the speed. Now, I never thought there could be something wrong with my settings, too, I just took it as it was, now I think I'll check my settings, too.

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    If only one laptop is connected and the others are not what download speed do you get?
    Already thought about that, same thing happens
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

I have a dlink router and 10 computers on it downloading ect. The wired ones get 500 download and the wireless get 400 .

Set the basic and TX rates to diff values. Your firmware might be out of date try to update that. The router should be place on the wall or something. I'll reply once i think of more lol
    FrostVPN.com - Speedy OpenVPN & PPTP VPN Services

The basic and TX rates are at the max, theres only 2 options, the ones you see and "1-2Mbps".
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

1-2Mbps!! mines set at 44Mbps and it's a cheap trust card and trust base station. I wonder if the cards are at their limit then?

lol mines 108 mbps ... errmmm

Are you running with encryption? There would be some overhead with that I believe but I doubt it would take more then half off of the transfer speed.

Try lowering your RTS threshold also. I have read somewhere that changing it lower may help. It seemed to suggest 2304.

Also try using channel 1, 6 or 11.
    -- Matthew

the card says 11mbps connection on the laptops
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

Remember that even though 'on the box' it states 11mbps, that's 11mbps without any overhead. You're realistically going to get 3-4-5mbps, unless you're literally right on top of the wireless box.

Try 802.11g and you'll get better speeds - i push around 22mbit on 54mbit 802.11g at 30ft. around 40mbit at 5ft.
    Gone.

the laptop im on right now is literally less than 6 inches away from the WAP.

160KB's isnt 3mbps, its about 1Mbps which is BS for wireless and not even worth the benefit of having wireless net.
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

I only have a 802.11B card as well and can regularly download at 5-600KB when I'm able to so it should still be possible to hit the sort of speeds from before.
    Steve

what brand of wireless card are you using?

the speed you get does vary between cards. if you get a decent card (such as Airport Extreme) you'll get better speeds than a really cheap card (generally)
    Gone.

its a linksys, the same one that was on the shelf as the router in the "Go Wireless" section at Office Depot.
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

I just tested something..

If I open multiple connections or have multiple downloads going i can max out the max allocated per machine, but single connections are slow as heck....

Arg?
    Matthew Gunnin
    COO - Dataracks, Inc.

Originally posted by phision.com
    Try 802.11g and you'll get better speeds - i push around 22mbit on 54mbit 802.11g at 30ft. around 40mbit at 5ft.
    I get pretty much the same speeds with Belkin wireless equipment. And the distance is really important.

I get those speeds on Buffalo equipment (Router + wireless card) and with Buffalo router + apple airport extreme card.

(if anyone's interested)

I really like the buffalo configuration utility - you can configure literally everything. You can set up packet filters etc. which is nifty
    Gone.