Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ServerMatrix... nice work

I decided to make the move to do away with EV1 and head over to ServerMatrix. Their network is very impressive (very good network redundency), their servers are a bit cheaper in comparison, and everyone here seems to like them.

Anyway, I logged on to my server for the first time, ran some basic tests, hdparm -Tt results were slower then they should have been... DMA wasn't activated on hda or hdb. I cut a ticket with SM, within 20 minutes I had a response saying they were going to check out my server, they took the box down, replaced a 80pin ribbon cable, made bios changes & brought the server back up. Now in DMA mode. Nice response time & work well done.

Kudos to Server Matrix!
    Keep up the good work as always

Theres hardly a bad word about SM on this forum. A few moaners but apart from that a clean sheet. Keep up the good service!

Originally posted by nkisberg2000
    Theres hardly a bad word about SM on this forum.
    One of the reasons is there are moderators at WHT that are pro-servermatrix; they have deleted posts that are critical about the company. What you are reading about SM is filtered.

I think the same thing is done with wholesaleinternet

Originally posted by PSFServers
    One of the reasons is there are moderators at WHT that are pro-servermatrix; they have deleted posts that are critical about the company. What you are reading about SM is filtered.
    Can we please ban this guy? He is on these forums only to crtiicize SM because they wouldn't give him what he wanted... This is definitely libel, as his claims are unfounded... He really ruins the experience of reading these forums.

Originally posted by ChrisF79
    Can we please ban this guy? He is on these forums only to crtiicize SM because they wouldn't give him what he wanted... This is definitely libel, as his claims are unfounded... He really ruins the experience of reading these forums.
    ChrisF79,

I have told you before in another post that SM DID give me what I wanted, and I was very happy about the final out come. I am also getting sick of you claiming libel on me and STALKING me around these forums. Get off my BACK.

I have also stated more than one time that SM is a reasonably fine company and that I post only truthful remarks about MY experience, which may be different from your experience.

Until I am otherwise instructed, I will freely share my experience with the 6 months disasterous experience that I have had with SM.

Feel free to ignore PSFServers, if he left servermatrix it only makes the network and company better (check out his thread he posted and you'll see clearly why this is the case).
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

The only filtered ones are when a member chooses to self promote in the same post.

Server Matrix is Great for dedicated servers!

And I 2nd this:
    "Feel free to ignore PSFServers, if he left servermatrix it only makes the network and company better (check out his thread he posted and you'll see clearly why this is the case)."
    Regards,
    Mat

Originally posted by Serverway
    Server Matrix is Great for dedicated servers!

And I 2nd this:

am i the only one who keep seeing how crappy sm hardware is ?

he had to request and 80pin come on. what kind of crap is that.

im waiting for all the sm post, my server failed hardware hardware.

i know we have already seen a few.

their hardware is fine. My first server with theplanet was around March of 2003, it's been running fine.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Originally posted by webrats

he had to request and 80pin come on. what kind of crap is that.

im waiting for all the sm post, my server failed hardware hardware.

i know we have already seen a few.

You have to understand in order to keep pricing down some companies such as SM use less then server grade hardware maybe that is some of the problem..

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    You have to understand in order to keep pricing down some companies such as SM use less then server grade hardware maybe that is some of the problem..
    Wait... ServerMatrix doesn't give top notch support, server-grade hardware, and 1.2 TB of bandwidth for $55 a month?? Why not?! Managed does it!

If you think "server grade" hardware is a plain white minitower with desktop internals yes you are correct

If it's good enough for Google, it's good enough for me.

Originally posted by amusive.com
    Yeah, when you've got a failover situation you CAN host a bunch of $39.95 ECS MOBO's bought on a fry special with a $29.95 HD (with rebate) stuffed into a $14 case.

For the rest of us, we would prefer our server to be a "server".

You are in the same boat with Google? You have thousands of PCs running as a server and therefore you don't mind one or two defects a day?
    Astonishing.

Quote reminds me of when Charlie Watts was asked about his Gretch drumkit from the 50's, his reply was "If it was good enough for Fred Astaire, it's good enough for me."

Sorry Charlie, no tuna!

Well, you have to scale down the numbers. I have 1/20,000th the servers that Google does, so if they expect to lose 1 or 2, I can expect to lose 1/10,000 - 1/5,000 servers a day. Rounding down (that's how taxes work, and taxes are above natural law), my machines will never defect.

Out of curiosity, what components of a "server" do you think are made better than components of a white box?

We have tried Ev1 , ValueWeb and ServerMatrix/ThePlanet,

Ev1 is good too.

The worst is the ValueWeb, they had hell of downtime at this month mostly at the last saturday , they had 6 hours of downtime, do you think that 6 hours? i think they were sleeping infront of the servers at this time, this must be a record

We have left them and transfer our main datacenter to the SM altough we have to pay them for more months according to the secret contracts that we have applied ,

We have also have cpanel servers with SM. and very happy with them.
    No downtime , no hidden contracts and very secure , if you are working with them , you dont think your server status while you are sleeping.

Originally posted by omaha.stylee
    I think the same thing is done with wholesaleinternet
    I still find my criticism of both SM and wholesaleinternet, nothing is deleted.

Out of curiosity, what components of a "server" do you think are made better than components of a white box?
    Chipsets, motherboards (let's talk about Tyan), absence of cheap IDE drives, proper cooling...
    Do you really think the reason why a server costs anywhere from 50% to xxx % more than a white box is the profit margin? (besides support)

Of course I don't say a cheap white box will not meet your requirements, but there is a difference. And don't begin to talk about OEMs etc
    It's a question of how much your business is worth to you...

Yeah, when you've got a failover situation you CAN host a bunch of $39.95 ECS MOBO's bought on a fry special with a $29.95 HD (with rebate) stuffed into a $14 case.

For the rest of us, we would prefer our server to be a "server".
    What do you expect at that price point?

I am no The Planet / ServerMatrix fan - their poor phone system and customer handling over the phone is appalling, and they seem to take the moral high ground and refuse to help you hiding behind their policies where necessary, but at the price you pay, you can hardly expect top quality hardware.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    What do you expect at that price point?

I am no The Planet / ServerMatrix fan - their poor phone system and customer handling over the phone is appalling, and they seem to take the moral high ground and refuse to help you hiding behind their policies where necessary, but at the price you pay, you can hardly expect top quality hardware.
    I think everyone can agree that EV1 set the board for the $99 server. I know HS personally, and he has admited that they have had problems with their initial business model. They now only offer Dell Hardware, and have since gotten away from providing white boxes. You guys may have not noticed this subtle change.

Here's the problem. SM is on a steep growth curve. You just give them 18-24 months before the start unravelling at the seams because of hardware issues!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast