Thread: Domain Stolen

Domain Stolen

Someone from 1Qualityhost has changed my regestrant info for my domain "mrtweet.com". Godaddy told me to go to wipo.com, to fix it, (what a hassel). I get no reply from 1Qualityhost. What can I do to get my mrtweet.com back? PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! : (

I assume they registered it and had all access codes, is their any issue of non payment or similar?

I still had a year before Domain mrtweet.com expires.

ICANN.org
    internic.net
    Collect every evidence that proves your ownership (bill, contents of website etc. anything that will convince icann/internic to give your domain back)
    Good luck (I have no first hand experience about this, just my ideas)

I would think you would need to hire a lawyer,

Humm, guess I better get another domain. I am bummed : (. What do I do to prevent this from happining again?

Originally posted by mrtweet
    What do I do to prevent this from happining again?
    Don't let anybody register names "on your behalf". Do everything yourself. There are plenty of cheap registrars, and plenty of different payment methods accepted. Don't rely on somebody else.

yep that is right, if someone else has control over the domain you are at their mercy.

you said they changed your registrant information. what about your admin email address ? is this still yours ? if yes, you could try to start a transfer.

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Don't let anybody register names "on your behalf". Do everything yourself. There are plenty of cheap registrars, and plenty of different payment methods accepted. Don't rely on somebody else.
    Yep. Dotster.com is a good place to register (cpanel to change your info, extra).

Thanks to all for the replys, I don't expect to get my mrtweet.com back : ( and I will be more careful getting another Domain.

Our Domain stolen the same exact way

Different hosting company but this same thing happened to our domain as well. We had to get a new domain also. We were doing well with our website. The cost associated with hiring an attorney is prohibitive to resolve this problem. There should be a government funded watchdog to oversee issues like this.

Interested MrTweet how you make out or if you have any success retreiving your domain.

We spoke to ICANN,DomainMagistrate.com and others costs 1000.00 minimum to get the ball rolling with no promises.

We still show as the Registrant and billing contact but not the Admin/Technical Contact.

Re: Our Domain stolen the same exact way

We still show as the Registrant and billing contact but not the Admin/Technical Contact.
    The registrant is who OWNS the domain. Many times an ISP will put themselves into the tech contact field because they're the ones responsible for the technical part of things. You still own your domain.

Joe

One thing I'm not following.... Why would 1qualityhost want your mrtweet, mrtweet???

A lawyer can't help anything, it's a simple case of possesion, unfortunately. But on the other hand, doing what you're doing right now is probably the most effective... How much of a 'bad press' hit are they gonna take over a mrtweet!?

Joe

Jetservers---Your right about us owning our domain if we are listed as the registrant --- BUT the hosting company put themselves in as the admin and put a "lock" on the domain with Directi. We tried to have the Quality Dept at Directi deal with Verisign (Network Solutions-we got the domain from them) Quality dept. but NetSol refuses to correct this.

Our hosting company switched our information using my email name (my name@ theirURL.com) as the authority making the Admin switch and then "locked it". Because it is now locked and they show as the Admin we cannot get it unlocked without their say so.

If anyone has ideas they are greatly welcomed because we have called everyone! We Think.

Sometimes trying to solve a problem 'the right way' isn't as umm... efficient, as jumping on it from inside the grey area...

Post a new topic so we aren't hoggin mrtweet's and...

It won't be no thing fur us to reclaim yer doe main.

Joe

Thanks again Joe and all. Maybe I will pay $18 to reserve the domain when it expires. No Biggie, it's just a name. New name is mr-tweet.com. Close enough, will transfer site soon : ) I am goin got get a business domain and will pay extra to protect it, who provides good protection service?

MrTweet---when we got our new domain we immediatly changed the passwords and didn't allow them to be remembered by the new hosting company. We also locked the domain with a third party. I will try to find out who we used.

I recommend to use Namecheap.com and forget all worries. Don't let your hosting company to control your domain unless its reputable on the internet.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

Howdy,
    Well, Mrtweet, it seems as they registered the domain mrtweet.com with GoDaddy. I would give them a call or email. They might be able to look at past changes and "see" that the info had been changed, from your into to the hosting companys. Tell them that you didn't want them to take control. It might work...
    Cheers,
    Burgerings

Isn't this illegal waht the company/person did?

Mrtweet,

Contact your original registrar. Assuming you have proof of payment or other proof that you owned the domain, they will get the domain back for you. Don't let these people steal your domain!

Degreg,

Sometimes that "lock" is just put on by default by your registrar to protect you. They should remove the lock if you request it.

Im sorry to hear that dude.

Mr Tweet,

I would suggest contacting http://www.eff.org they may be able to assist you on getting your domain if you are a US resident. This groups helps internet users for their freedom online and this is a clear violation of your freedom because you got your domain swindled.
    Kerry Jones

I'd agree with Kerry that the registrant of domains, that's the real owner of domains shall have absolute control over the domains, and every domain Registrar is obliged to protect such rights.

So if you have any proof that you are the real owner, just contact the relevant registrar directly and ask them for help. They might first tell you to contact their reseller, but that wouldnt' work generally speaking; you might contact the registrar again and pressing, telling them the whole story and the fact that you can't get the right help from their reseller. The Registrar would sure have a way to help u out as far as you are the owner. It is their duty.

When everything doesn't work, you might then escalate the prob to the Registry, ICANN or some legal orgs.

I would think that the admin contact of your domains should be put as your contact information, don't let it be your hosting company's information or else it might be the cause of future problems.

Also, when it's possible, keep yoru domains and hosting services seperately unless you have full confidence on the hosting company. With this, you will be able to manage your domains easily, swich hosting service when you are not satisfied without worrying about ur domains.....

Originally posted by mrtweet
    Thanks to all for the replys, I don't expect to get my mrtweet.com back : ( and I will be more careful getting another Domain.
    Sorry to hear that. 2 tips, though: as much as possible,
    don't let anyone else register your domain for you, and
    don't register it w/ a hosting provider just because they're
    offering it cheap or free as part of a package.

If you originally got yours from a web hosting provider,
    they do have access to it & can change details based on
    their terms or service/service agreement (or if they have
    nefarious intentions in the 1st place ).

Btw, perhaps I could help. PM me.