Hybrid View

Need good advice on a good reseller.

Situation is like this .

We host 4 top domains with google rank 7 or higher.
    We host 30 subdomains

Bandwidth is about 40 gb a month
    diskspace bout 30 gb.

We never max out the plans when it comes to bandwidth or space ..
    However our forums seem to put a load on the cpu . And this is the cause of downtime .

Several companies reffered me to get dedicated hosting .

That is an option .. however i find the prices for a good one rather high .
    I am using reseller right now coz it's so easy to use . Since it is all CP driven .

So question is. is there anyone who is at a reseller account and has 400 users connected on a forum(s) now and then and does not have downtime or atleast not every week .

Thanks in advance .

Re: Need good advice on a good reseller.

Originally posted by sinister
    . . . diskspace bout 30 gb.
    I doubt anyone will offer you a reseller plan when you need 30GB of disk space. It looks like a fully managed dedicated server is more what you need.

oops that gotta be 3 hehe not 30 hehe
    i will edit it .
    thanks

Re: Need good advice on a good reseller.

Originally posted by sinister
    So question is. is there anyone who is at a reseller account and has 400 users connected on a forum(s) now and then and does not have downtime or atleast not every week .
    If I take that as being a forum with 400 active users online at the same time, then you will definently need a dedicated server for that workload.

yup, agree with Aussie Bob, dedicated server all the way

Saqib Mughal

yeah that is what i keep hearing

400 users is something that barely happens but it does happen now and then .

if only T1 lines where cheaper here in europe hehe

go on a dedicated server and raise your rates

After all as google PR 7 sites I'm sure they can afford it.

i own those 4 hehehe
    but yeah seems it is time to sell some txt adds , rather had it all advert free . even do the hosting for free .. it's a hobby that is getting a little outta hand tho hehe

You might be able to find a host to host that large forum for free, in exchange for advertising.

and throw away all the VB licenses i own hehe
    no it is all custom build now in php and integrated with the rest of the webpage ..

i thank everyone for their time. i am going dedicated .. i could work out a deal with an investor .

Dedicated is the way to go in your situation. Even if you could find a plan and a host willing to handle you in a shared environment, you'd still probably face the same situation again in a few months. Going ahead and getting a dedicated server is the right way to go about it.

I'd suggest contacting each respective company you're interested in about advertising in order to lower costs. I'm sure that there are companies out there who would at least cut costs somewhat. Even just a banner can be fit into the page where it's not too obtrusive. WHT is a great example, even though you do see the ad, it does not get in the way and for someone like myself I don't really notice it anymore.

for someone like myself I don't really notice it anymore
    For the sake of the advertisers I hope someone does notice them... I don't pay any attention to them either.

Reseller Hosting

Hi,

What sort of spec server were you on before?
    What price was you paying before?

Regards

Daran

<<< URL removed and please read the rules. >>>
    Last edited by choon; 05-10-2004 at 12:36 AM.

You said in a later post that you were only looking for 3G of space not 30G. So you are looking for total resources of 3G/40G? That would fit into a reseller plan, but your CPU load is the problem, if I understand you correctly?

You might not need to go to a dedicated server, check out some of the VPS plans around that give you your own chunk of RAM and the CPU.

I suggest that you get a dedicated server , get Rack911 to look after your server for a monthly fee ( I'm sure steve can work out some thing ) and your all sorted ....

This way you can put on more sites and you have more movement

Thanx

Well i got dedicated now since last nite ..

i am not to happy with it .. but it was a trade off .
    or go with an expensive server
    or go for a cheap one and do everything under redhat yerself .
    lucky enuff i got a linux wizard helping me out free of charge but i wouldn't recommend it to users who have zero linux/sql knowledge .

i was hoping to port over the whole show b4 the E3 in LA but that is gonna be a no go .

maybe i should pick another hobby lol
    Thanks all