One Off Registration Fee.........

Wouldn't be good if Icann stoped its current way of paying for domains and started 1 off registration fees for domains? Why do they have to charge a yearly fee? This would automatically make all domains significatently more valueble and there would be no worrys and hassle to the owners and also less chance or totally illiminating fraud...... Do you think this will ever happen? And could people bring this to Icanns attension and make then change..?

Sounds interesting... what sort of business model would you propose for financing the ongoing maintenance of your domains, such as keeping the root servers running?

exactly how to pay icann staff and keeping registry up and running?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Re: One Off Registration Fee.........

Originally posted by Postmaster
    Wouldn't be good if Icann stoped its current way of paying for domains and started 1 off registration fees for domains?
    Might sound good on the surface, but it will never happen, for many reasons.
    Originally posted by Postmaster
    Why do they have to charge a yearly fee?
    Already answered by Bashar and Lubeca above... basically.
    Originally posted by Postmaster This would automatically make all domains significatently more valueble and there would be no worrys and hassle to the owners and also less chance or totally illiminating fraud.
    There might be something to that first part, but as for eliminating fraud, I don't see how.
    Originally posted by Postmaster Do you think this will ever happen?
    NO... but let's say for a minute that it did. How much should they charge?

maybe $600/domain regfee to cover 100yrs of the domain or $6K for 1000 years
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I think the 10 years domain registration period already long enuff. Renew once every 10 years. U wouldnt need to renew it that many times. For normal ppl with average life span of course

thats true...... I'm sure Icann can find ways of making money I mean, they could sell the domains for say a one off payment of $100 and put everyones one in a high interest account, help by goverment funding afew donations and all the money they get from requests for new extensions, some how I'm sure they could sort something out, after all they are non profit?

ICANN is a co-ordinating body. ICANN doesn't sell domains. Domains are sold by registries (via registrars in the case of GTLD domains, via registrars or direct in the case of ccTLD domains). Registries and registrars need to cover their running costs. They can't cover their running costs without annual subscription fees.