Tips for images for a website (template)???

I really suck at graphics, but I can do some stuff. I'm working on a web template, and it needs graphics, etc...but I don't know how people make these cool webbuttons etc and I need help making it look better, so if someone could give me tips and pointers on the abouts, then I might actually be able to make a good webtemplate for my future website.

The programs I have:
    -Adobe Illustrator 10
    -Paint (its actually good, because its pixle editing)
    -And some program that actually allows me to make bad quality trasnparent .gifs images.

Thanks, all help is appreciated!

I am currently Spinning-Up on Illustrator, and have found the tutorials available here (http://tiemdesign.com/HOWTO/Illustrator.htm) to be of great help!
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

Illustrater isnt really good for making buttons and templates, its more for vectorized art etc.

You should either buy photoshop,
    or try GIMP, a awsome free graphics program that is very highly recomended.

http://www.gimp.org/

Originally posted by jasong
    Illustrater isnt really good for making buttons and templates, its more for vectorized art etc.
    I think many, those who have mastered this tool, would differ with that opinion... In actuality, the perfect marriage is a combination use of both Illustrator and Photoshop. They compliment each other very well!

But even without Photoshop, and accomplished illustrator can produce some pretty amazing Text Effects with Illustrator alone...

[edit] As for buttons in Illustrator, here is a tutorial specifically for that: http://www.nelsonsfreelance.com/tutorial/actions/aqua/ And if you follow the "Home" link on that page (its not the domain's homepage though), you will find several other useful Illustrator tutorials... [/edit]
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

My god that is one ugly 'aqua' button... it looks nothing like the real aqua buttons!

try some of the tutorials on www.psworkshop.net -- there are some great (and some not so great) ones there.
    Gone.

Try some free web template or free graphics site
    Post2Host Community
    Cpanel hosting upto 10GB & adfree .
    spacesocket.com

Yes, i did that alot, but I can't stand using other peoples designs, with their copyright. I like making templates and basing it off of maybe another template

I would suggest Photoshop, it's really good for template creation, mostly fro what you need, altough you need some imagination to come up with some original ideas. And of course, don't steal, it's not nice
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Talking

It will take time to learn how to make nice professional buttons and if you don't have the time...Just use some software program(s) to automatically do it for you. The link below will help you to create customized buttons very easily and will save you a lot of time trying to learn it from scratch.

http://www.gifart.com/button-maker.html

Regards.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Ya, I have a button maker by my favorite company (besides mine): xara.

And photoshop costs too much, compaired to Illustrator, especialy because I am saving up to finally get a Mac OS X computer (I like all OS's) and I also want flash.