Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ServerMatrix SuperResellerz Server issues - What should we do?

Hello EveryOne,

We got this SuperResellerz server from ServerMatrix.com in late December, 2003 with the following:

Dual Xeon (HT enabled),
    OS = RH Enterprise Linux 3.0,
    Control Panel = C-Panel

We had enormous amount of issues for about first 2.5 months (which were well documented here by many people) as per the following thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=229306

The issues were mostly related to kernel and also c-panel/RHEL combo interactions.

Then about 2 months ago, Server Matrix.com finally helped us by upgrading to this kernel [2.6.3-sxeon-3w (SMP)]. The frequency of crashes/downtimes were considerably down. Thanks to all the help by Jeff R. @ SM.

But then about 2 weeks ago, the above kernel was discovered to be vulnerable to some security issues.

Then we brought it to Server Matrix's attention and they told us that they need to upgrade it to this new kernel (2.4.21-9.0.3.Elsmp) and it was then upgraded to this new kernel by SM.

Our server has now started freezing and crashing frequently again. It has now become quite annoying and pain in the neck.

In a nut-shell, in last almost 5 months the server has performed satisfactorily for about 1.5 months. It has been a complete nightmare experience otherwise. It was down last night few times too.

We are not trying to point fingers here but we are desperately looking for some help from either SM management or other people who are using these this or similar servers.

Is there any solution available to this server's issues?

Or

Should we just move to some other server/OS combination that actually works without being such a mess like this server?

We don't really want to keep paying the premium price for a server that hardly performs the way it should.

Please advise.

Thanks for all the help/comments.

Regards,

Rick Kumar
    www.QuickDate.com

www.MatchPedia.com --> The largest Dating and MatchMaking network of more than 100 sites!

Well, I haven't had any problems with RHE, but it runs DirectAdmin, so that may be it. So the only thing I can say, is ditch that control panel, or move to FreeBSD, or Mandrake Linux.
    I haven't used this, but I saw that cPanel supports http://whiteboxlinux.org/

The problem is obvoiusly with the kernel if it goes away with 2.6.x and comes back with 2.4.x .

Try having SM upgrade you to 2.6.5 or to 2.6.6 RC3 .

Re: ServerMatrix SuperResellerz Server issues - What should we do?

Originally posted by rickkumar

We don't really want to keep paying the premium price for a server that hardly performs the way it should.

What I really like about SM your server is "fully managed with NO extra cost". Even though your server doesn't work, you should be happy that it is being fully managed for you. I tell you what, some people are never happy......

DynamoHost: how did you get them to upgrade your server to 2.6? or do you know a way to manally do it (without getting a headache and getting the servers up and running for sure)

Seems like Fedora's been more stable on Dual Xeons than RHE. How well has RHE worked for you when you had a non-crashing box?

-Josh

rick, I actually had similar issues with a p4 2.8 - I finally told them that I am not going to pay for the server since it was so unreliable (crashed twice a day at a mysql repair) - they switched the motherboard... kernel still 2.4 - I hammered the server to a load of 1000+ processes doing max file IO and it runs perfect since 1 month... it really might be the hardware thats corrupt.

this post makes me worried because i just purchased a SuperResellerz box yesterday from SM

Re: Re: ServerMatrix SuperResellerz Server issues - What should we do?

Originally posted by PSFServers
    What I really like about SM your server is "fully managed with NO extra cost". Even though your server doesn't work, you should be happy that it is being fully managed for you. I tell you what, some people are never happy......
    Thanks for your comments, but I am not sure what exactly you mean by fully managed. I know 100% that ServerMatrix's servers are not fully managed unless you buy their high level management plan with the server which will cost you almost equal to the server.

The 'silver' management plan that comes with the server is just basic, and from day one we have hired InstaCarma as our server management company. They are the one who open all kind of tickets with SM and log in to the server to get things moving again all the time.

Reagrds,

Kumar
    www.QuickDate.com

www.MatchPedia.com --> The largest Dating and MatchMaking network of more than 100 sites!

Originally posted by flush()
    this post makes me worried because i just purchased a SuperResellerz box yesterday from SM
    SM is not the problem, it's RHE & cPanel. It takes a little custom Kernal config.

Originally posted by daejuanj
    SM is not the problem, it's RHE & cPanel. It takes a little custom Kernal config.
    If you really look this message that I also referenced to above ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...threadid=229306 ), you will notice that scores of people who bought these servers from SM had same issues. We still have not found a kernel that works correctly from any source. Our server management company tried some custom configurations, SM has tried many, and so has many other people but these servers just has some serious issues. I don't think anyone has figured out any thing yet including the RH people or C-panel people. In fact, RH and C-panel blamed each other for quite sometime for the fiasco.

Thanks,
    www.QuickDate.com

Our servers run perfect with RHE/CPanel we have had no problems. Although your boxes are more powerful which maybe the problem though I am not for sure, just contact SM call if you have to they will make it worth your time.

It is not recommended to run the 2.6 kernel in a production environment. I'd try to stick with the latest 2.4 SMP kernel. It seems like your issues stem from your inability to manage your own server. SM states they will apply security patches but not run the whole server for you. Kernel issues are your own problem. I'd suggest you hire a tech who can compile a custom 2.4 SMP kernel that is optimized for your machine.
    --Andrew
    http://andrewloe.com/

Thought about trying FreeBSD 5.2.1?

Originally posted by Snoozy
    It is not recommended to run the 2.6 kernel in a production environment. I'd try to stick with the latest 2.4 SMP kernel. It seems like your issues stem from your inability to manage your own server. SM states they will apply security patches but not run the whole server for you. Kernel issues are your own problem. I'd suggest you hire a tech who can compile a custom 2.4 SMP kernel that is optimized for your machine.
    As I said in my response above, we have hired server admin company from the very first day we got this server, they compiled few custom kernels but nothing really seem to work.

Thanks,
    www.QuickDate.com

We have a few servers running 2.6.5 running with no problems, we also have a 2 i think with 2.4.21-9.0.3.Elsmp, after some tweaking no problems. We are playing with 2.4.26 on a busy rhe box will let you know the outcome
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Just one ideia
    (don't know if some one has sayd this)

But why don't you disable the HT for the time been?

The kernel that it's use for HT proc. and non-HT proc. are diferent.

Budway it happens both with smp and nonsmp kernels for me
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by Snoozy
    It seems like your issues stem from your inability to manage your own server. SM states they will apply security patches but not run the whole server for you. Kernel issues are your own problem.
    Oh for heaven's sake, you cannot be serious. Why do people with no clue take it upon themselves to post to a thread they know nothing about??? Talk about killing the signal-to-noise ratio... *beats head against wall*

This has nothing to do with ability to run a server. There are many advanced techs stuck on these lousy boxes, and they haven't been able to fix it either. Why? Do the research. There is a 40-some-odd page thread about this here at WHT, and a much longer thread about it at EV1, and countless others at ServerMatrix's own forums. Do a whit of reading, please, before pointing fingers and telling people how dumb they must be. Sheesh!

The reason I'm feeling a bit huffy is I did take the couple of days to read all the threads hither and yon, and it was based on that research that I decided not to upgrade to the dual Xeon HT servers at Server Matrix. While in contact with clients/referrals I specifically advise them to avoid the dual Xeon w/ HT - RHES - cPanel combination at SM, simply because Server Matrix's version of it is not stable for production use.

I have a single-processor P4 2.8 GHz at SM and it has performed beautifully for the 6 months I have had it. It has RHES and cPanel. However this box specifically does not have hyperthreading.

What I have also found interesting is that dual Xeon servers at two other medium-sized hosts (those who know me, you know which places I mean) are not experiencing *any* such issues. They run smooth as glass, and yes they have HT enabled. They are also running cPanel. The only differences that these servers have are:
    • Hardware -- very very likely that the equipment is from a different supplier and is of higher quality (at a very minimum, different model numbers); and
    • Redhat OS version -- the stable boxes are running RH 7.3.

I would have no qualms taking on a dual Xeon HT server at a quality provider. However that server won't have RHES, and it won't be leased from EV1 or Server Matrix. I'm not convinced that these borderline discount-dedicated providers are using top-quality hardware. I'd rather pay a little bit more at another provider, and count on their history of reliability/solid performance on their HT-enabled dual Xeon's. It can be done... it just seems it can't be done on cheap equipment. At least that's my gut opinion, which I believe enough to put my $$ where my mouth is, when it comes to picking our new boxes.

(And yes I say that as a fully satisfied SM customer!)

Anyway just a dime's worth from here, hope it's helpful somehow.........

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Hi Bithost(NET).

I agree with most of what you have said.

This is a well known and well documented issue with SM Dual Xeons with HT and RHES 3.0 + C-Panel.

In fact 2 months ago, we were so fed up with the entire situation that I was ready to ask for full refund.

But then Jeff R. @ SM got involved and convinced us to move to RH9/C-panel on this same server as they thought there is problem with RHEL.

Just when we were going to do it, SM told us that they have found a solution and they they know have stable kernel etc etc and we should try that.

Well they upgraded the kernel, and server crashing was reduced (but not eliminated) for the next 1.5 month or so. But the server always froze even during these times occasionally. Now after they upgraded to this secure kernel 2 weeks ago, the server not only freeze but crash also.

One thing that always upsets us is that anytime you want SM to upgrade to stable kernel, they want us to pay them $75 minimum charge. Just 1 day ago server carshed on their kernel, we asked for reboot and they suggested that they can reload the OS as their installed kernel was panicking during reboot. But they said we will have to pay them for this.

We responded to them that we will not pay them at all as we are living a nightmare for 5 "full" months because of this server that they sold us. So they then rebooted the server.

We don't really care whose problem it is (Bad hardware, RHEL, C-panel or something else?). We bought this server from SM and SM need to make 100% sure that is works the way it is supposed to work.

And if it does not, then we will not pay a dime more to get the custom kernel or OS installed etc etc.

In fact, we should be asking for full refund for all the money we spent on this server in 5 months.........or may be charge back if its not fixed or if we are not moved (free of charge) to a comparable system that actually works properly.

Thanks,

Rick Kumar
    www.QuickDate.com

In my very humble opinion, it keeps coming back to hardware. Only the discount dedicated providers have this pesky issue. I've worked on dozens of dual Xeon HT boxes running cPanel, and they are all just fine.... but through my experience/access with those companies I also know they are using high-quality hardware and yes, their fees are higher too. They're not trying to eek extra pennies out of the margin by cutting corners on hardware.

I'm not saying it's bad hardware, or faulty hardware. I think it's just cheap hardware (it has to be, for the bulk they must order it in, and the prices they sell it for; 1+1=2 on this). It's got issues with RHES and/or the kernel that comes with RHES.

Put these sites on quality hardware and on RH 7.3 (I cannot vouch for RH 9) and the boxes run smooth as silk.

Truly if I had one of those ServerMatrix dual Xeon's I'd be mad as a wet hen.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Originally posted by bithost(NET)
    In my very humble opinion, it keeps coming back to hardware. Only the discount dedicated providers have this pesky issue. I've worked on dozens of dual Xeon HT boxes running cPanel, and they are all just fine.... but through my experience/access with those companies I also know they are using high-quality hardware and yes, their fees are higher too. They're not trying to eek extra pennies out of the margin by cutting corners on hardware.

I'm not saying it's bad hardware, or faulty hardware. I think it's just cheap hardware (it has to be, for the bulk they must order it in, and the prices they sell it for; 1+1=2 on this). It's got issues with RHES and/or the kernel that comes with RHES.

Put these sites on quality hardware and on RH 7.3 (I cannot vouch for RH 9) and the boxes run smooth as silk.

Truly if I had one of those ServerMatrix dual Xeon's I'd be mad as a wet hen.

Bailey
    I agree with your comments mostly. I have not seen posts with issues on Dual Xeons running RH 7.3 or RH 9.

We may just opt for a different server/OS also. Dual Xeons with HT/RHEL/C-Panel don't even perform equal to Celerons in my experience.

Thanks,

Rick Kumar
    www.QuickDate.com

Originally posted by bithost(NET)
    However that server won't have RHES, and it won't be leased from EV1 or Server Matrix. I'm not convinced that these borderline discount-dedicated providers are using top-quality hardware.
    Just so you know, we and I'm sure a lot more people have Dual Xeons from SM with HT on and are experiencing no problems. We use RH 9.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I am also using HT on a RH 9 w/cPanel at SM with no issues.

We are using Total Control Servers at the planet, with RHEL/cPanel/Dual Xeons and we have no problems like the ones described in this thread (we have only had the current one for a few weeks).
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast