Comcast: IP changes every 2 weeks or so...

I am using Comcast and noticed that every week or two my IP seems to change.

Just wondering, what may cause this?

More importantly, is there a way to force change it myself? I'm using a netgear router if that matters.

Your IP may be dynamic, meaning it changes each time you reconnect to the internet.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

It's not, I usually keep the same one for a few weeks.

Your IP is dynamic, so you will keep that IP until comcast ran out of ip's and refreshes their system, giving you a new IP and reallocating your old one. You could get a new IP every day, every week, every month, or every year. It all depends on their system. But, your IP is dynamic.

You can force yourself to get a new IP by doing a router MAC ID clone. You would need to find the MAC ID of your network adapter, then in your router settings under MAC ID Clone, set the MAC ID as your network adapter, and then get a new ip and reset it.

The reason the above works is because if there is a new mac ID, comcasts DHCP server sees it as a new computer/router connecting and gives it a new IP.

I just recently had my IP changed. I had my previous IP for about a year.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Tried that. When I set my router to the MAC ID of my NIC card, the internet does not work.

And then once you set it you have to set it back to the original mac ID of the router which you can find on the bottom sticker.

Just curious, if the dhcp client request a renew ip from the server, before the expired lease. DOes the the client nic keep the same ip ? I am thinking about this trick to keep the same ip.

I belive the ip got change, because when your lease expire from the server, and the client did hot request the new lease before the server give your ip to some one else, that why you get the new ip address. To work around, I think we should request new ip before the lease is expire.

Sorry my for my bad English.

Easier way, unplug your cable modem, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in....

Your cable modem will connect the network and will be assigned an ip

call up comcast and request a static ip?

Mine stay the same for about 6 months at a time. It only changes when the modem resets, but usually it grabs the same.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Originally posted by 2uantuM
    call up comcast and request a static ip?
    a) they probably wouldn't honor that

b) if they did, it wouldn't change as the post requested

Your DHCP lease is expiring causing you to get a new IP

they usually will charge extra. I know the isp i use now, and the previous one i used, charged $5 a month extra for the static IP.