Server speed tools

I'm looking for a tool to measure web speed of different servers. Of course, I know I can use ping, traceroute, etc. But I need a tool to compare several servers. If anyone has an idea...

Thanks,
    David

Gaining metrics can be difficult. Here are some thoughts.

To metric network, one good way is to download big files from different subnets. Often in measuring speed between computers, it is a function of the route your packets take, which means the metrics can change.

Ping and traceroute aren't that great for that reason, but downloading from different ISPs, using different subnets, means you can get a general idea of network speed.

For metrics about the OS, Linux has many that come with the OS. Windows, not so many. Most of the Linux metric tools read from /proc.

A google search for "OS metrics" and "benchmarking networks" will render some good links. You will have to filter the results however.

Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

You're right idologicJeff.

It's why I'm trying to find a website oriented tool. To measure the loading of a web page...

I tried google that before, but not found anything interresting, only things like web server stress tools. But I don't try to test them, just compare theme

Thanks,
    David.

One thing I do is put a large file filled with zeros on a variety of our machines.

For example:
    Click to download.

I have this file on a number of servers, and anyone who askes is directed to try downloading from different servers, if they try from different subnets relative to them.

They can thus see, on average, our multiple network connections, and the different routes to them. They get to see beyond a single server, single route.

Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out

This might be what you are looking for..

http://watson.addy.com/
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

great site