Digital Photographers

I have been into photography for sometime now, and have studied and practiced it during college, but I am looking to buy a digital camera to further my design possibilities.

Please list / suggest digital cameras, bare in mind I can only spend upto about 340 (approx. 610$ USD) on this.

Regards,
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Hi,

The best place to compare different cameras etc is:

http://cnet.com

I have had Canon G3 for an year now and I love it.
    Lots of good features and perfect pictures, only bad thing
    about G3 is looog lightning times in some cases...

But look at cnet and compare diferent models and find the
    best one for you.....

Thanks
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

You can also stop by: Digital Photography Review's site.
    Serial Beggar
    Hate Your Family? Have No Friends? Make Me Your Beneficiary!

If you are new to digital cameras it is easy to get caught up in the megapixel wars. While I think this is a valid consideration there are major differences in the way digital cameras work and the way a film camera works.

One thing that annoys me the most is cycle time. If you have not used a digital camera a bit you may not realize that it can take some cameras a LONG time between shots. Most of the time this is OK but at the time you take one picture and then try to take another and nothing happen and then the shutter go off a few seconds later with the camera pointed at the ground you start to notice it.

I don't even think this would be the most important factor for you as I don't know how you take pictures. I almost think it is a good idea to purchase an inexpensive digital camera and find out what you like and don't like about it to help making the big camera purchase. Maybe borrow a camera and shoot with it for a day or two to get a feel of the likes or dislikes. At the very least purchase from a place that has a generous return policy and use the camera a lot when you first get it.

Good luck.

I don't even think this would be the most important factor for you as I don't know how you take pictures.
    I will be taking my time over shots. Thanks for the other link serial, and Tom, thanks for the advice, I'll bare that in mind
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

That delay always bugged me to no end!

Something else to consider is, what are you going to use it for? If most of your shots will be aerial photography, digital is probably not gonna cut it unless you go with one of those huge megapixel cameras (8-12 megapixels), which blows your budget unless you'll mostly be printing 5x7 or smaller.

But on the other hand, if most of your photos will be portrait or close-up work, or most of your photos are for web usage then you can get away with lower megapixels and get great quality.

Also, let me make another suggestion. If you're going to buy a camera on the web, take a look at photo.net. There are camera house ratings put on the site mostly by customers, especially dissatisfied customers (watch out for the shops that promise the moon and then ship you moondust!). The ratings are kind of like eBay's feedback - sort of - so it keeps you on the look out for firms who pull bait and switch or quote you a price and then after you give them your credit card tell you the battery is an extra $50, and other similar scams.

BenQ also has some really professional cameras, the prices are also very competitive. You should check them out, use

http://www.benq.com/products-camera.htm
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

As it appears you are in the UK I will recommend Jessops to you. They do a 30 day money back gaurantee and so if you don't like what you got it isn't a problem. When it comes to cameras of that price I'd recommend a Fuji. I have the S602Zoom, but I am not sure if it is still available. If I could post links to review pages and another camera page then I would, but I can't so sorry

accyroy could you PM me them please?

I'll check out benq thanks, also, the photos will be used for web usage for now, print will come later on.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

I've got the Canon Powershot A70, its 3.2 mp and it shoots at max resolution of like 2000x something pixels and prints clearly on 8x11.5". The camera itself is GREAT, if your going for non SLR digital cameras make sure they've got manual settings like shutter, macro, etc. Also video is a nice addition and my camera records at 640x480.

Other stuff to look at is battery life (make sure u get rechargable batteries), what kinda storage it uses, and what kinda lens it has (that is a major factor in quality as well as MP).

I'd recommend my camera but recently the Powershot A80 came out, so definatly check that one out, i recommended it to a friend recently and he loves it. It has like 4.0MP i think and will fit your budget