sasser worm creator arrested

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3695857.stm

~10 days - thats awesomely quick..

Lock him up for 20 years. I wonder how many people will sue him for damages.

Big big trouble... I don't know how he plans to get out of it.

oooo he's in troubleeeee
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

so owned
    John Heslop

Who ever discovered the security hole deserves a medal
    I know people who were effected by it and it really did do a good job of disrupting services .
    It will teach software makers more about there security than they thought they knew.
    Atleast the anti virus companies enormously benifit from these type of viruses.

That's how he will get out and not get sued, by big software companies such as microsoft paying him to tell them the holes he knows and how to fix them.
    John Heslop

Rather than doing that they should use their 'experts' to go through the code and figure it out themselves. They shouldn't release software full of security risks
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Im sorry to say but i say let him out to write more viruses.

My reasoning... well I make money out of these people, being an IT consultant, phone calls come flooding in "fix my computer" because they havent used the worlds most simple tool "windows update" and i make money out of them!

its a simple as that so i say get people to write more of them and ill become richer! sounds stupid but IT Consultants love virus outbreaks it gives them something to fix!
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

so true XTStrike without viruses you would have no money, no money no food, no food no chicks
    John Heslop

and most importantly "no holidays" !! which means i cant go to far flung countries and pay for wo...

www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

it's not possible to release software with no bugs.. especially an operating system... I don't see why people expect bug-free / virus free environments.
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

"no holidays" !!! oh no!!!! all them fit babes and chicks *drools*
    John Heslop

Can we sue MS for selling us defective software

no we can not
    John Heslop

Anybody infected? be clean [http://housecall.trendmicro.com/[/url]
    "An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"

True or not?
    I heard that sometime ago a certain anti virus software company were paying individuals to introduce viruses? Obviously without viruses there are no updates and no customer signups!

Originally posted by RajanUrs
    Can we sue MS for selling us defective software
    Defective software? It's just a bug for heaven's sake.

By your definition, I think everyone will be sueing everyone in this world for small 'defects'.

A defect means a negative deviation from the software that's mass produced. As we know, all Windows XPs are the same, unless in rare cases where there is a defect. It is covered by warranty then.

And even if there is a defect, the maximum liability they hold is to that of replacement of the software. If there is external damages out of the defect, then it is debatable.

Originally posted by ClamSmacker
    True or not?
    I heard that sometime ago a certain anti virus software company were paying individuals to introduce viruses? Obviously without viruses there are no updates and no customer signups!
    Even if that were true, there still would be viruses.
    With the knowledge that I learned in my Computer Science class I could write a virus write now. But would I? No way.

Originally posted by Subhadip
    I don't know how he plans to get out of it.
    I am sure he will try to WORM his way out

Sorry...couldn't resist it.

Simon

Not even the slighest funny
    John Heslop

i thought it was!

Microsoft Operating systems already crash on their own. We don't need a bunch of worms and viruses to make it worse. I don't think IT consultants would suffer to much if the worm/virus creators stopped. There's still enough people out there who delete files for fun, or install anything and everything.

You know what's honestly messed up...

Hacker - Writes a virus causing havoc, $ and other problems - Likely get 15-20 years.

19 year old boy - Shoots a child in the eye with a pellet gun - gets 18 months.

True. Thats the wonderful legal system for you.

A friend of mine was murdered in highschool by 3 other students. Those 3 guys got less than 2 years in jail. One of them was out in 6 months.

But I think hackers do need to spend time in jail. Its just other crimes need to be extended.

Originally posted by ClamSmacker
    True or not?
    To be honest, I wouldn't put it past them. There was also talk of the RIAA paying script kiddies to dos attack irc and p2p networks *cough* but who knows.

He should have not bragged about it, he would never got caught

but people... being infected by simply being connected, well that's something else, only M$ knows how many of the holes like that are still out there, I think I'll totally have to switch to Fedora.... I just hate it cause I spent all this money one software running under Wins... this kind of stuff really hurts my pocket... and I was starting to save up for a flat...

I completely agree. I make a killing off fixing computers that have been infected with virus or spyware

It's nice when people understand the domain name completely. Everyone calls it a stupid-computer at one time or another

good he messed up a lot of internet stupid kid. Hope he gets life in jail

He should go to jail and find all the security holes there and that includes the ones under the fences

Originally posted by RMF
    True. Thats the wonderful legal system for you.

A friend of mine was murdered in highschool by 3 other students. Those 3 guys got less than 2 years in jail. One of them was out in 6 months.

But I think hackers do need to spend time in jail. Its just other crimes need to be extended.
    If I'm not mistaken with the patriot act, hackers can get life in prision.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Originally posted by benoitb
    If I'm not mistaken with the patriot act, hackers can get life in prision.
    Heh, with the Patriot Act, ANYONE can get life in prison. It's more terroristic than Osama ever dreamed of being. Osama did a lot more damage than he will ever know. He was jealous of our freedoms, and his actions accomplished a major change in them.

Originally posted by Webdude
    He was jealous of our freedoms, and his actions accomplished a major change in them.
    I don't think he was ever jealous of anything, from what is known he never lacked anything, cause he had a rich daddy and is worth well over $100 mil him-self, too. That's why he must be one sick a$$ to be causing all this suffering in the world.

The kid should be praised not imprisioned. If it wasn't for Microsoft's flaws these problems wouldn't happen. I mean look at linux its a nice piece of software put together yet you do not see viruses that trouble it. If Microsoft would just fix their software instead of playing scapegoat with virus creators we wouldn't have to worry about such virus programs.
    Kerry Jones