What would you do?

A friend of mine recently learned that a few domains are registered in his name. Under the registration info it lists his name and his email address but different street address. Now, there are several domains registered and there is a somewhat successful website and business tied to these domains. He has never worked for or been affiliated with this company in any way. He has full control with the registrar because the account info was sent to his email.

Now, what would you do in this situation? Do you contact the company and give them thier domains back? Or do you sell them back? It's not like he wants to extort these people but technically he does own these domains right? Are there any consequences to changing the street address?

I would contact them to see what has happened. Make sure they are "real" and not stolen etc... I would not steal them cause your friend did not buy them, what goes around for sure comes around Just inform them and see what they want to do. They can easily get the names back if you did steal them.

Its not that he stole the domain names. His name is the same as the guy who runs the company. They also live in the same city. What I think has happened is that at one point they used the same ISP and now my buddy has the guy's old email address.

Yeah just contact them and see what the deal is, maybe he will offer up some money for pointing that out for him. You never know.

that would consider stealing if he take the ownership and might face problems with old owner to try to get them back.

i'd say let your friend be nice and contact the old owner and tell him to update his domains
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Bashar, what if he does not have access to the registar anymore? Such as a Password was changed :-d.....

Does anyone have any links where I can find out more information about domain disputes like this one? I can't seem to find anything on Internic's site.

I really don't think it is a dispute, they bought the name and now your firend has their email address..... Sex.com was a huge case, please correct me if I am wrong..... just got settled a few weeks/months ago it was based on stealing a the name... again please correct me if I am wrong

Linkage http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040420/fltu012_1.html

Sex.com was transferred because of a forged letter. In this case the company registered the domain using my friend's info themselves.

Either way it was stolen. So the company that registered the domain name does not refelct your friends name at all?

Similar thing happened to me. Same womans name - and birthdate - we got mixed up at a hospital. My advice - get it sorted asap.

Contact the registrar and let them know about the problem.

Originally posted by frattay22
    Either way it was stolen. So the company that registered the domain name does not refelct your friends name at all?
    The domain name itself does not reflect his name. However, the whois info for the name and email address is his info. The street address and phone number are of the company's office.

Originally posted by nicolem
    Similar thing happened to me. Same womans name - and birthdate - we got mixed up at a hospital. My advice - get it sorted asap.
    You weren't SWITCHED AT BIRTH were you?!!

It gets even more scary. She lived in the suburb next to mine.

Regarding your friends problem.

The issue does not seem to be that the other guy is trying to fake the info.
    1. The other guy is entitled to register things in his own name.
    2. The other guy should update the email details.
    Surely your friend could send the other guy an email or letter - it might just sort it out. The other guy might not realise the situation

Originally posted by chadm
    Does anyone have any links where I can find out more information about domain disputes like this one? I can't seem to find anything on Internic's site.
    www.wipo.int is the best place to start with and exactly at http://ecommerce.wipo.int/domains/ it has full history for domain who sent to UDRP

also http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm

googled and found this nice page with database of UDRP http://udrp.law.cornell.edu/udrp/index.php
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Originally posted by Bashar
    googled and found this nice page with database of UDRP http://udrp.law.cornell.edu/udrp/index.php
    This site is great. Thanks for that.

most welcome