Invision Power Board

Wonder if I need a licence for installing the board? or the licence is meant for support purpose?

Isn't Invision Free? I think only the supports costs
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

'cause the licence page is unclear.

they basically want to make money even though the software is actually free...therefore they make a confusing licence page ?

Don't they deserve to make money? LOL They've been offering an equivlent software to vB for Free for years now, now that they want to charge a little and aren't even making it mandatory, thats bad???

By the way IPB 2.0 is going to completely destroy vBulletin.

I don't think so...
    vBulletin is still better...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    Don't they deserve to make money? LOL They've been offering an equivlent software to vB for Free for years now, now that they want to charge a little and aren't even making it mandatory, thats bad???

By the way IPB 2.0 is going to completely destroy vBulletin.
    What is so good about IPB 2.0 ?
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

The template system is absolutely amazing. The database structure is completely insane, on how well it's formatted. EVERYTHING is cached. The debugging scripts are amazing. The new modules are good. The index page loads in 4 queries in less then 1/10th a second.

Get a hold of a beta, and you'll understand.

Originally posted by freak
    I don't think so...
    vBulletin is still better...
    Can you put your basis for thinking so?

When is IPB 2.0 going to launch ?
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Basically, the license is optional. I purchased it for two sites but it doesn't do anything other than give you support and change the (U) to (R) at the bottom.

Great software IMO. There are a lot out there, but I choose IPB after using so many others.
    Arcanum Services LLC
    "ServerHand" VPS - Dedicated Servers - cPanel Shared Hosting
    Datacenters in NYC & Orlando.

Can I change it personally to delete off the (U) part? leaving the rest intact?

Then it makes no difference from a (R) version.

No, you cannot tamper with the copyright section (Including the (U) part) at all.

Multi-quoting, expandable-collapsable categories, better userCP and adminCP (IMO). Just a few of the many features IPB2.0 has to offer. Also, IPB's default design is (again IMO) much better than the default vB.

Snapback quoting, ACP, post office (finally, a forum that can properly distribute large amount of mails without crashing mail server), Ignore user, Multiple attachments with auto-thumbnail generation... just a few to list.

As to when it will be released; the last two PDRs took ~1 month, they plan to have it up to PDR 4 before they release it; so I'd say the final will be released at... maybe 1.5 month or so.

It seems to be more powerful than the current vBulletin boards I've seen. I can't wait for its release.

In the new one however, it shows:
    Either Powered by Invision Power Board(Trial)
    Or Powered by Invision Power Board(Licensed)
    depending on your licensing state. I personally like the U and R better because no one really know what the U and R means... I guess that's why they changed it

As to:
    No, you cannot tamper with the copyright section (Including the (U) part) at all.
    Well, its not quite true. You CAN temper with it, but it is ILLEGAL. So none of us would advise it

I havent seen one good skinned IPB. Only a nice header and thats it..
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

I've seen a lot of nicely done IPB's. And I've done a few.

any one care to see some nicely done skin?

neo3net? care to show us some?

well just for a learning experience

That's quite a neat job. deserve my praise.
    Is it a tough work? I always look forward to learn new things.
    please give me some good tips if you might

Thanks in advance.

I'm not yet completely familiar with the new system but the old skinner was quite simple. You could basically create a wrapper for the header/footer and side stuff and then just edit the HTML files for the inner board stuff. Everything was clearly marked and the system was good.

Thanks for your prompt comments though.

I have seen from hotscripts.com that has lots of other forum scripts. There are some with more than four chillis. How come they are not as popular? Well just to increase my knowledge bank.

Thanks.

I have only good things to talk about IPB.

We have a fairly small community of about 250 members and about 13,000 posts in 4 months...so far, no quarrels whatsoever.

As for the skin, I skinned IPB myself and it took few days of playing with but the end result was well worth it!

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the board(and dont ask why, lol), I cannot post the straigthforward screenshot. Attached is the teaser, for whatever it maybe worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails teaser.jpg  

Will phpbb do the same job? Well I can't see from your jpg file for much. However, it seems that the interface can be easily cusomised by phpbb at ease. Not sure what other issues that I might need to focus on. I think there are some security problem that some were discussing but well the thread was not very elaborate. so if anyone can enlighten me I would be great.

I am trying out all my scripts in fantastico so as to ensure all my clients can get most (if not all) answers directly from me regarding these scripts.

Regards and of course thanks very much

Originally posted by acidbase
    Will phpbb do the same job? Well I can't see from your jpg file for much. However, it seems that the interface can be easily cusomised by phpbb at ease. Not sure what other issues that I might need to focus on. I think there are some security problem that some were discussing but well the thread was not very elaborate. so if anyone can enlighten me I would be great.

I am trying out all my scripts in fantastico so as to ensure all my clients can get most (if not all) answers directly from me regarding these scripts.

Regards and of course thanks very much

I played VERY little with phpBB to make a comparison.

Security issues...I cannot possibly think of any open security issue not quickly addressed. There are mysql vulnebelities which we had to patch, but that has nothing to do with the board.

I try to stay away from these auto installers...I prefer to do the dirty installation using good ol' ftp and mysql scripts. So, can't comment too much about fantastico, either.

Regardless, if ya have any more queries about IPB, I shall try to help ya

I am not sure you are the best person to answer such a question but just to make my attempt.

If I am thinking of hosting one series of forums on one domain, do I need to buy a licence for each forum? or just one for all since it is within one domain?

In addition, is there any script for users to sign in /register once and access to a series of forums within that network?

If this is unclear, I shall elaborate as follows.

say i have hosting, design and programming forums within one domain.
    can a member register once and get access to all three forums with one username and keep one user profile? this will save alot of resources as well as mroe convenient for the user to browse through the forums.

Any idea?
    regards

First, I beleive under one domain, you can run as many forums as you'd like.

Now, as for running multiple forums with a central authentication system, why not just have one forums with multiple categories(hosting, design, programming) etc.? I would highly suggest that for two reasons: a) it's the easiest when it comes to implementation b) it is the most convenient and a lot of those categories overlap with the users and thus having them under one big roof should increase member involvement on your forum overall as design people won't have to visit a separate url to navigate to hosting forum and viceversa.

oh the thing is .. i am going to have hosting, engineering and arts instead of what i gave as example. So that might not be appropriate and lifestyle forum might be just too general to attract anyone;s attention.

Any advice?

My friend is currently working on a hack to allow to seperate installations of IPB 2.0 to share one database. Meaning, posts, users, threads, sessions...EVERYTHING is being shared between them. It's coming along great.

that will be wonderful. Hope to hear more on that. Care to share the news when it comes public?

I am not sure whether or not he is willing to make it public. If he does, it'll cost a bit as it is a very intricate hack.

Neo3Net, you can just install multiple copies on different servers and point to the same MySQL database.

Not exactly, it doesn't work the way you'd think it would.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    Not exactly, it doesn't work the way you'd think it would.
    Why not?
    Have you Floble'd today?

The new invision board uses a lot of cache, plus sessions can't be shared to well.

Invision is actually working on a system called "Converge" that should allow you to accomplish just that. It's slated to be released sometime around IPB 2.0 launches, as far as I know. Find out more at http://www.invisionboard.com/converge/

Originally posted by acidbase
    I am not sure you are the best person to answer such a question but just to make my attempt.

If I am thinking of hosting one series of forums on one domain, do I need to buy a licence for each forum? or just one for all since it is within one domain?

In addition, is there any script for users to sign in /register once and access to a series of forums within that network?

If this is unclear, I shall elaborate as follows.

say i have hosting, design and programming forums within one domain.
    can a member register once and get access to all three forums with one username and keep one user profile? this will save alot of resources as well as mroe convenient for the user to browse through the forums.

Any idea?
    regards