Exclamation Dead Hard Drive. Please View

Okay, here is the problem:

I have a 80 gig western digital hard drive. I know i have a maxtor too if you guys odnt like WD. However, i bought 3 new computers over the last 2 weeks.

They are Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz Hyperthreading with 2GB Dual channel DDR memory.

Problem was i was so excited to build it that i unplugged my ld computer without backing everything up. Important files are on there. Month paperwork for business, everything.

The hard drive just went dead as soon as i took it out. Put it in the new computer, it doesnt rotate. Cant hear anything, just gets really hot.

I put it back into the old computer. Still nothing.

I have researched, and i have a few options:

1. Call CompUSA
    2. Buy anoher hard drive and replate circuit board
    3. Put hard drive in a plastic bag and put in freezer (most risky i think)
    4. Cry

Please help me. I dont know what to do. I need these files by monday. Theres this site that is in Californa that takes hard drives and gets files back for you.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know what you plan to accomplish with number 3 unless you want to freeze the hd and smash it with a hammer. And yes data recovery services are your best choice but due to your time constraints you should find a local shop that offers this or overnight shipping.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

4. would be the best.

keep in mind professional data recovery can usually run $600+
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.datarecoverypros.com/hard...ry-freeze.html

thats what i got. Is it worth a try?

Others:
    5. Drop the hard drive
    6. Hit the hard drive

Im not saying this to be funny. Research told me to do it...
      0 Not allowed!

Really? I want to see this research. I know this sounds a little stupid but when you put the hd in both comps did you connect it to the power supply?
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
      0 Not allowed!

yeah everything. I try my other hard drivesa nd it works
    but this one, there was smoke, i smelt it. :-P
    now it just overheats when i put it in
      0 Not allowed!

yep it be fried possibly beyond the point of data recovery.
      0 Not allowed!

Freezing does help, but only for a short period of time. It will usually only work once (in my experience, it only worked once), at which point it refuses to do anything. So basically, you have to know exactly what you need and exactly where you have it stored and have to transfer everytime off of it in a matter of minutes (I've had one that lasted about 15 minutes, you could get lucky and it could last longer, depending on how badly the hard drive is messed up).

Edit:
    yeah everything. I try my other hard drivesa nd it works
    but this one, there was smoke, i smelt it. :-P
    now it just overheats when i put it in
    Okay.. that's most likely non-recoverable. You could probably get some stuff recovered if you brought it to a professional data recovery place, but that usually wouldn't be fixable by someone at home without spending a bit of time and money.
      0 Not allowed!

i onyl need around.. 10 MB worth of files
    i know where it is located

Snakez, did it work for you?
    And if so, how long did you freeze for?
      0 Not allowed!

hmm freezing works. Never heard of this method but if he says it worked give it a shot.
      0 Not allowed!

yeah, thats what i am doing. 9:30.. ic ant wait to see if it works. I need the files :-P
      0 Not allowed!

Your data is still safe. All you did was blow the disk motor.. A data recovery agency would simply pull the small data disks out of the drive, and place them into another drive, then recover the data from there. If you know enough, you can do it yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

I have a hd which makes a sound when its on , and I cant read anything from the disj (its a 120gb hd) and Im soon planning to use this thing called "HDD Regenerator" which is a software which apparently fixes mullered hard drives ... havent used it yet but I suggest you give it a try ! gud luck.
      0 Not allowed!

Recover Data From a Failed Hard Drive by Dropping it
    Definately never heard of this to actually work before, but I have heard the phrase "if it doesn't work kick it".
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company
      0 Not allowed!

be careful, you dont want to wreck it even more
      0 Not allowed!

apparently if you wrap it in a sacred leaf ( which is available from deep within the amazon) it will work like clockwork. Remember you need to keep it in the leaf for atleast 40 seconds.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Cyrus
    I have a hd which makes a sound when its on , and I cant read anything from the disj (its a 120gb hd) and Im soon planning to use this thing called "HDD Regenerator" which is a software which apparently fixes mullered hard drives ... havent used it yet but I suggest you give it a try ! gud luck.

I dont see how a piece of software can go and "fix" a broken hard drive unless it has little tiny arms that grow from the cd, stretch down through your cpu, and repair it by hand.
    All the software can do in my mind is try to read and recover whatever it can from the harddrive, not fix it.
    Am i wrong?
      0 Not allowed!

let me refer you to ... http://store3.esellerate.net/store/P...9923428806&pc=

I agree with you though, I do not know how it would fix it but apparently it does and Im willing to take my chances ... It can only get fixed or stay broken
      0 Not allowed!