Hybrid View

Hosting my own server...

Hi all,

wasnt' sure where to put this, so move as needed.

My parents have decided to go the broadband path, and have put me in charge of finding the ISP. Cool, eh?

Well, I have a few requirements I'd like the company to meet before I choose it.

First of all, pricing needs to be decent. I'm talking 20-mid 30 dollar range. I'll give a little if the speed is really good, but I really don't want my parents to pay much over $40 a month.

Second, speed is of utmost importance. Probably 512k and up is what I'm looking at....once again, speed can suffer slightly if the next requirement is met:

I'd like to be able to locally host my own server from my computer. I have the necessary software, all I'd need is a static IP address and the go ahead from the ISP. Speed can suffer slightly like I said, as I really want this feature to be included.

Now with that said, I live in Loveland, Colorado, but I and ISP in the surrounding area is obviously sufficient.

If anyone can help me find an ISP any of with those requirements, PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

Email: puckchewer@cs.com
    AIM: meester baystard
    Yahoo!: meester_baystard

Thanks in advance-

-Devin

Check out broadbandreports.com

very unlikely to find static ip package around 20-30.

try speakeasy's lowest-priced package. i belive they give static ip

Well , i'm guessing that your going to be running a webhosting server on it?

you will need dynamic dns , to have nameservers point to the one IP.

Yes, I want to run a webserver on it. Change that price to $20-45, actually.

A webserver for personal files, right? If its for hosting, zip up the flamesuit.

A webserver for my own site, I don't plan on hosting anyone else's sites.

Check out your local phone company and dslreports as previously mentioned. I am seeing an AT&T add for startup DSL for $19.95 alot lately. If hosting your own site your going to want a high outgoing speed. Look for something with 256 upstream minimum.

I found 1.5mbps dl, and 128 up....is that acceptable?

When looking for an ISP make sure you read their TOS... a lot of broadband providers do not allow you to set up a webserver on their bandwidth and will either cap you or terminate your contract if they find out.