Load Balancers...Help

Hello,

I wanted to know why would a hosting company need Load Balancers, what is the exat purpose of them??

Doesn't a switch does the same thing?

Thanks

Is it used to balance the load among several servers instead of using a single server to support the load of resources.
    PierreB - Montreal

Yes but what load to balance? Isn't it the primary link to the switch and from the switch to the servers?? Why do I need a load balancer between the switch and the servers?

Thanks

Here I found this with a graphic sheme, you may understand it better: http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/09/26/load.html

hope it helps.
    PierreB - Montreal

A switch just provides connectivity. A load balancer, in simplistic terms, will intercept a request, determine the best host out of what's currently available to process the request, pass that request to that host, and maintain session (if needed) so that followup requests for the same user go to the same host.

A load balancer, btw, only makes sense if you will have multiple hosts capable of delivering the same content (such as 2 or more webservers with the same sites synced on all of them).

Since were on the subject, anyone have experience with a good load balancing appliance? Eg. One that actually manages the load distribution itself, takes affinity into account, etc - not a DNS round robin

thats prolly what google is using

Originally posted by cs_gamer
    thats prolly what google is using
    Google use a combination of DNS load balancing and server load balancing. The DNS load balancing sends requests for their site to one of, I think, 13 datacenters in the world in a round-robin fashion. This splits upload between each datacenter evenly. Once in the datacenter, workload is split up over a load balancer to one of many hundred "front-end" machines which query the actual database and build up the page you get when you query a search. The database is a collection of thousands of machines that collectively represent one giant database, which has triple redundancy and splits up the load through a custom file system and custom server software.

It's pretty neat
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Originally posted by PierreB
    Here I found this with a graphic sheme, you may understand it better: http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/09/26/load.html

hope it helps.
    Good article thanks.

Originally posted by DeathNova
    Since were on the subject, anyone have experience with a good load balancing appliance? Eg. One that actually manages the load distribution itself, takes affinity into account, etc - not a DNS round robin
    I've had excellent results with the Foundry ServerIron. I've also heard good comments back on the Alteon and F5 balancers, but I don't have direct experience with those.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Mixed reviews, cisco's content networking is good but starts at $8000 so a little expensive for what it is.

I;ve had positive experience with http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

works well on generic components and very reliable

Geographical load balancing is also proving popular and saves bandwidth while keeping pings low.