Hmmmmm ... prepping to offer reseller accounts

I currently work FT as a network admin for a school and we run two freebsd servers (one for email and one for web) and the rest are windows server. I currently offer shared hosting account with my resellers account and all i have to worry about is support for my clients.

So, one of my client recently moved out and is getting his own dedicated box. I've been thinking of offering reseller accounts by purchasing my own dedicated box. I've worked with most linux platform, everything from redhat, mandrake, debian, slackware, suse and now freebsd. Whle I'm not an expert, i know my way around the systems.

So, i could get a dedicated box and hire an outside company to manage it. Then, all i would have to worry about is support and billing. will this be feasible? granted i have no experience with root access to WHM, but it should be easier given that it's a GUI and I've spent the last three years with PICO and terminal!

actually what i was getting at was this. I can setup another box at work just to play with. While I do have virtual domains setup on our live webserver, I would like to simulate a real webhosting company. I think I'll setup another box and play around with it to get a feel for it. i could host a couple of my friends website for a few months just to see how i would handle certain things.

before anyone asks me if i could do such a thing during and at work, let me just say no one would know. besides, i am the only IT guy there so i do have full control over the network. when the time is right then i'll go get my own dedicated server. but how will i simulate this if i cant get my hands on WHM/cpanel or directadmin? i guess ill just have to purchase it.

If you are working and cannot support promptly you can always outsource, PM for companies, billing can be automated through www.modernbill.com and www.clientexec.com

You can test out by experimenting on hosting your mates websites and by working on the servers and platforms. Its hard to learn it when you dont know but thats how i think you will understand it best when you discover/do it yourself goodluck
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser