FrontPage login problems - just one site on the server

I've never used FrontPage before, but I have a friend who's hosting a site on my server and he'd like to use it. The problem is I can't connect to his account using FP. I get the following error, even before it asks me for a password:

The folder 'http://domainname.com' isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a / or \.
    I've tried unloading and reloading FP extensions. I've tried deleting the .htaccess and letting FP make a new one. Neither worked.

I FTP transfered his site over to my server from another server that he had been using FP, so it had all his FP extensions. Maybe that's what's causing the problem? Left over extensions? I thought then when I unloaded extensions it would delete them all, but maybe it's missing something?

The really strange part is I have another site on that box just sitting idle so I set it up with FP extensions as a test and I can get to it just fine. So it doesn't sound like an Apache or other server setting.

Any ideas?

never used Front Page but in an attempt to make a FTP connection do you shoot at http ports?

Try using something along the lines of ftp://example.com unless I am just far too green with FP to know better

Silly enough, if you try publishing (where the operative word is PUBLISHING) to http://www.mydomain.com it should work. Just add the "www"

Often, it's the stupidest thing.

are you by chance using plesk 7 on this server?
    If so make sure cgi is disabled for the site. I have seen numerous problems with fp extensions and cgi conflicting on plesk 7.

Cope and Trilux, thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately neither of those work.

jdoverclock, this is on a cpanel box. I'm not sure where I would turn off CGI, although I'm hoping that's not necessary because I need to use CGI scripts on that account.

Greetings:

1. FTP can kill FrontPage extensions if not used properly.

See http://msfrontpage.net/fp/ftpcorrupt.htm

2. Have you checked and compared directory and file permissons for the site with other FrontPage sites that are working?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I've compared files and permissions and they seem to match exactly between the site that FP does work on and the site that it doesn't.

Interesting about the FTP issue. Since I FTP'd the entire site up from his old host I'm not sure how I would get around that. Also, the link mentions FTP'd files can cause FP corruption, but it doesn't say what a symptom of that corruption looks like. I can't even get to a login screen so it seems file corruption wouldn't come into play.

I've also tried renaming the public_html file to a temp name, then creating a new public_html file and reinstalling FP extensions. I thought that if there was a corrupt file in there somewhere that I could trick FP into thinking it was a fresh install. It did do a fresh install, but I continue to have the same problem logging in.

I suppose as a last resort I could delete the entire site and remake it, but that's a lot of hassle. I'll have to reinstall OScommerce and a few other scripts.

Does anyone else have any ideas on this? Thanks!

Try this!

oldford,

If you have root access, please try to run these commands as follow:

[[email protected]] /scripts/updatenow
    [[email protected]]/scripts/unsetupfp4 domain.com
    [[email protected]]/scripts/setupfp5 domain.com

(*Replace domain.com with your own domain)

I'm not sure this will work for you but it won't be hurt if you give it a try.
    Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    www.iexpresshost.com
    Get serious about your business.
    Fax/Voice Mail 206-339-7080

Thanks Peter. I did try it and it didn't seem to make a difference. However it also gave me a chown error at the end of reinstalling. Maybe that's the whole problem? It's not able to change the owner when it installs FP extensions? I don't see that error when installing extensions through WHM.

Install completed.

Starting chown, port: 80, web: "/".

DocumentRoot: "/home/username/public_html"
    Setting Password
    Frontpage passthough auth enabled!
    chown: `username:username': invalid group

Ahhh...I think that CHOWN error is the key to my problems.

As a test I tried doing the same thing for another domain on the same box. I uninstalled and reinstalled and didn't get any error.

Install completed.

Starting chown, port: 80, web: "/".

DocumentRoot: "/home/username2/public_html"
    Setting Password
    Frontpage passthough auth enabled!
    [email protected] [/]#
    So any ideas why the CHOWN error or how to correct it? I tried changing the account name to something else, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Greetings:

RE: "chown: `username:username': invalid group"

Have you compared /etc/passwd and /etc/group to see what group this user is in compared to others?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Isn't the etc folder created when email addresses are added to cpanel? The test site (the one the works w/ FP) didn't have the etc folder until I created an email alias.

Anyway, I don't see a difference between the files in the etc folder between the site that works and the site that doesn't. Is there something specifically I should be looking for dynamicnet?

dynamicnet I thought about this some more and I'm now guessing you meant the root files /etc/passwd and /etc/group, not the etc directory in each user?

I looked through the /etc/passwd file and it looked fine, but the /etc/group file had a strange entry for the user I'm having trouble with. The account username is "username" and the entry line in /etc/group read:
    username11:x:32011:username1

None of the other username entries have the extra 1 or 11 as shown in red above.

So I pico'd that file and got rid of the extra 1 and 11. Now when I reinstall FP extensions via root using IEH-Peter's commands I no longer get the CHOWN error. Yeah! Unfortunately I still get the same FP error when trying to connect to that account.

I feel like I'm getting closer at least.