Should I issue a chargeback against ModernBill?

Hello All,

I'm currently using ModernBill with great success, there's some outstanding issues that have been ongoing since I bought the product in January but I have a work around for them and it's not bothering me too much. What is bothering me is this:

After trialing the product for a couple of months on the leased licence I decided to upgrade to an owned unlimited licence. When I did this I put a ticket in to have the leased licence cancelled. I then forgot about this for a while presuming it had been done, the next thing I know I got another invoice through stating that I had been charged for another months lease...

... I went to check their ticket system for the status of my ticket but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere (I don't find the ticket system very intuitive as there's no apparent way to just view your ticket history unless you have a ticket "key"). Anyway, I put in another ticket asking them to cancel my leased licence and issue a refund, and kept hold of the access details. I was then assured that this would be looked into, 3 weeks passed and nothing had happned so I updated the ticket in fear that I was going to be charged again. I did get a response back that the lease had been cancelled but there was no word of my refund so I updated the ticket again, and now, weeks have passed again without a response.

What I want to know is, should I just issue a charge back, or what? What would you do in this situation? I've been taken for a ride before (by someone completely unrelated to MB) and don't want this to happen again. Does it really take this long to process accounts? or are they just putting me off?

The money's not the issue, it's a tiny amount in comparison to my other costs, its more the ethics of the situation and it's begining to really bug me. How long does anyone else let themselves be put off when waiting for refunds or payments?

I guess I'm just trying my luck on getting an answer by posting in a public forum - which I should not have to do!

TIA

What does anyone else do then?

Re: Should I issue a chargeback against ModernBill?

Originally posted by djstonefish
    Hello All,

I'm currently using ModernBill with great success, there's some outstanding issues that have been ongoing since I bought the product in January but I have a work around for them and it's not bothering me too much. What is bothering me is this:

After trialing the product for a couple of months on the leased licence I decided to upgrade to an owned unlimited licence. When I did this I put a ticket in to have the leased licence cancelled. I then forgot about this for a while presuming it had been done, the next thing I know I got another invoice through stating that I had been charged for another months lease...

... I went to check their ticket system for the status of my ticket but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere (I don't find the ticket system very intuitive as there's no apparent way to just view your ticket history unless you have a ticket "key"). Anyway, I put in another ticket asking them to cancel my leased licence and issue a refund, and kept hold of the access details. I was then assured that this would be looked into, 3 weeks passed and nothing had happned so I updated the ticket in fear that I was going to be charged again. I did get a response back that the lease had been cancelled but there was no word of my refund so I updated the ticket again, and now, weeks have passed again without a response.

What I want to know is, should I just issue a charge back, or what? What would you do in this situation? I've been taken for a ride before (by someone completely unrelated to MB) and don't want this to happen again. Does it really take this long to process accounts? or are they just putting me off?

The money's not the issue, it's a tiny amount in comparison to my other costs, its more the ethics of the situation and it's begining to really bug me. How long does anyone else let themselves be put off when waiting for refunds or payments?

I guess I'm just trying my luck on getting an answer by posting in a public forum - which I should not have to do!

TIA
    You need to login to your vendor that you paid with and cancel the subscription. Ususally worldpay or 2checkout or paysystems or paypal. Whatever you pay with. I had the same thing occur with me with some other products. I suggest doing this first.

Sorry, My original post might not have been clear. I've managed to get them to cancel the subscription so it doesn't happen again and I added a note to the support ticket thanking them for this, and asking about the refund.

Having just checked up on the status of the ticket earlier today I found that it had been closed without resolution.

I'll give it until mid week then initiate the chargeback proceedures.

Sorry, My original post might not have been clear. I've managed to get them to cancel the subscription so it doesn't happen again and I added a note to the support ticket thanking them for this, and asking about the refund.

Having just checked up on the status of the ticket earlier today I found that it had been closed without resolution.

I'll give it until mid week then initiate the chargeback proceedures.
    I'd be very careful as you could find your copy of modernbill quits functioning, as I'm somewhat certain it does do some calling home and if you chargeback they might simply cancel all your licenses, I'd give a really good read through of their TOS/AUP policies and see if there's a provision in there for what they say they may do if you chargeback on them. Is there a number for modernbill you could call and maybe try and get this solved without a chargeback? I know I really hate chargebacks and I'll typically do all I can to avoid one and I suspect they will to Modernbill is in my experience a pretty stand-up company and although I don't personally use their software (too much "stuff" for my tastes, I like my billing to be simple as possible) I would think they'd make sure to get you refunded properly if you are persistent enough (yes you've probably done enough but oftentimes a phone call will solve a problem a helpdesk ticket didn't).
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Thanks Gary, This was my worry that I purposefully didn't make a point of in the original post. I'm afraid that they may decide they hate me or something and give me poor support, or just cancel my licences etc.

I would have thought they would do anything possible to avoid a chargeback - as would I, and I kind of hoped they might just read this thread and get it sorted. That's all I wanted really.

I have a list of things to chase up organised in date order and this has been on my list the longest now. I just want to get it sorted

I'll keep pressing them for an answer.

I'm afraid that they may decide they hate me or something and give me poor support
    Sounds like you already had fairly poor sales support though.

I'd just keep on them about the refund, e-mail and call them daily if needed.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

Please keep in mind that there are only about 6 or 7 people supporting ModernBill. I know they do get behind at times. Just give them a call at their Louisville, KY office. 1-502-566-7754. Someone there should be able to help you. I do not believe that it is 24 hours though, so you may have to wait until the next day's business hours.

Good luck getting this resolved.

DJStonefish,

This is Jon from Modernbill. Please make sure you contact us on any outstanding issues you may have. We desire to have happy customers and we will certainly straighten out any accounting issues.

Jon McCarrick
    Sales Director
    Jon McCarrick -
    Billing is Fun
    When You're Billing With Parallels Plesk Billing
    www.parallels.com/spp

Hi Jon,

Sorry to have to bring this onto a public forum but it's been dragging on a while now, and as you say "Billing is Fun" I guess you should be tripping over yourselves to sort out the billing

My ticket ID is CFA-95449 and as of yet is unanswered.

For anyone else reading this, I've been using MB for a good few months now and I do really like it, I've only had a small number of "bugs" to work out (mostly getting it to integrate with my current system) and there's only one outstanding software bug which I'm assure is being worked on .

Definately worth the money

Hi ,

Just a quick note to let you know that I have just checked the status of the ticket and it has been closed for some reason? (although the reason was not specified).

I've reopened the ticket now and shall expect a resolution shortly.

Thanks

hahahaha

ModernBill is getting sad, they are now calling one of our companies because we enter in a Custom Order for a client,
    and they harass us asking why we have a amount in our system that does not reflect a plan on our page.

Pathetic..
    Obviously they are ignoring your request, because they do have time to call and harass us.

Do the chargeback request, youll at least then get an anwer

BILLING defies all laws, Your GUILTY until proven innocent,
    these companies are ruthless because visa owns them

Get your own merchant account, and billing solution and be done with the madness. Your business depends on it. Trust me, I have lost a couple businesses over the years depending on these 3rd party services.. It might be convienent now, but down the road, your busienss will depend on them and they will fail

very true...

a chargeback should really be considered,
    they've left you hanging for quite some time now...

I agree, clearly something is very wrong here. Do the chargeback and stay away from that company. I wouldn't do business with them based on that experience you mentioned. It seems very crooked that they delete and close tickets without doing anything about it, to say the least.

That's just ethically wrong at best, and if you could prove it in court, you could sue them or report them to your local regulatory body in regards to their billing irregularities and lack of communication.

It is wrong they haven't issued the refund.

But tell me one piece of software you can build on your own in a reasonable time that can't do what ModernBill does.

Also, it looks like djstonefish hasn't posted in a few weeks, how do you know he didn't get his refund.

And I would like to know more about ModernBill calling a customer. This doesn't sound like them, sounds more like something I would call them and ask about to verify it was actually them and not someone impersonating.

Originally posted by ddihosting

But tell me one piece of software you can build on your own in a reasonable time that can't do what ModernBill does.
    That's no reason to ignore your customers, or make them feel conned out of their money. It was never an issue of the money, only one of ethics.

Originally posted by ddihosting

Also, it looks like djstonefish hasn't posted in a few weeks, how do you know he didn't get his refund.
    If you check the post history my last post was actually only yesterday when I decided to update the post on the current status of it (as it hadn't had a response for a few weeks). I also re opened the ticket with MB at this time, and I can now confirm that it has been answered and they've told me they've issued a refund.

Thanks.

Good to hear djstonefish. There really is no excuse for what happened to you. I hope they make things right.

Best wishes.

I agree it isn't. And I hope this is a one in million situation.

I haven't had this kind of problem. But I am with them for multiple reasons, the biggest being there is no competition for them. Oh, there are other billing software packages, but none as robust.